PDA

View Full Version : You've been spending too much time on Macrumors when...

mcrain
May 22, 2002, 03:59 PM
I went home and was telling my wife about this fascinating discussion I was having with someone named BTTM, and then Mac15 jumped in... etc... she thought I was nuts. She looked at me, and said, these aren't real people are they?

LOL, I've been on here so much that posting is more like conversations in a group of friends rather than a computer board!

Any other warning signs I should be looking for?

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 04:02 PM
When you get over 2000 posts!

I've told my wife about this board, but she doesn't really get the fascination, oh well. I did show her B2TM's 'tar and also mention Mrs. B2TM, that went over well, all she could say was 'Geeks'

Guilty:D

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by mcrain
Any other warning signs I should be looking for?

I tried explaining the whole "Save Eyelikeart" campaign to my friends...

click here to view it... (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4051&perpage=25&highlight=save%20eyelikeart&pagenumber=2)

ha ha ha!!! :D :p :D

Ensign Paris
May 22, 2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I tried explaining the whole "Save Eyelikeart" campaign to my friends...

click here to view it... (http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4051&perpage=25&highlight=save%20eyelikeart&pagenumber=2)

ha ha ha!!! :D :p :D

Yeah, that was fun :)

You no when u spend too much time on MacRumors when u go to the toilet in the night and on your way back you check MacRumors, Ok, maybe I have done this in the past. Normally I check my E-mail when I get up but not normally.

Ensign

britboy
May 22, 2002, 04:10 PM
You know you've spent too much time on macrumors when you read your handle as though it were your real name!

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
You no when u spend too much time on MacRumors when u go to the toilet in the night and on your way back you check MacRumors, Ok, maybe I have done this in the past. Normally I check my E-mail when I get up but not normally.

sadly enough....I keep the site up even while I'm working out at home...checking back and forth between sets... :rolleyes:

Ensign Paris
May 22, 2002, 04:20 PM
Ok, I had a few seconds to spare, I created this one but never posted it:

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
Ok, I had a few seconds to spare, I created this one but never posted it:

ha ha ha....that's a good one... ;)

kishba
May 22, 2002, 04:43 PM
you know when *I* have been spending too much time on macrumors when i spend time during my visual basic class (pc lab) reading macrumors... my friends are so annoyed by my habit that they have now started reading the site too... just to know what's going on in my life (i'm always engrossed in Apple, and especially macrumors)

i suppose that's not a good thing, but it does make class time go by quickly

now if only i could do my visual basic programs on my powerbook.... (i'm getting somewhat behind in class now... all thanks to my addiction)

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 05:22 PM
When you reply to a thread such as this!:p When you arent able to check macrumors except for the quick look over because you're visiting your girlfriend's house for a week and cant spend 2 hours a day on macrumors and you look at all the threads that you missed out on posting in as if you'd missed a big event!

Oh well...but I'm back now, and I won't be able to see my GF for 7 weeks! I guess I'll be on here quite a lot in the weeks to come to ease my pain...

kishba
May 22, 2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
you look at all the threads that you missed out on posting in as if you'd missed a big event!

i know *EXACTLY* what you mean... i was in chicago for a whole week for a school competition and i was devastated by my lack of macrumors... i came back and the whole world had changed... eye had broken up with his gf and apple showed off the xserve...

time flies when you're on macrumors... maybe that's why i'm actually posting again... all of my school activities are over with and i'm bored as all get out :)

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 05:52 PM
When you reply to a thread such as this!:p When you arent able to check macrumors except for the quick look over because you're visiting your girlfriend's house for a week and cant spend 2 hours a day on macrumors and you look at all the threads that you missed out on posting in as if you'd missed a big event!

Oh well...but I'm back now, and I won't be able to see my GF for 7 weeks! I guess I'll be on here quite a lot in the weeks to come to ease my pain...

my ex-girlfriend used to get mad at me for posting while I was at her house...he he he :D

but hey! she was in the tub...or blowdrying hair...or something...what else was I to do?! ;)

cleo
May 22, 2002, 06:05 PM
Today I started telling my housemate about Duke's popcorn recipe, but I realized that if I said, "This guy on Macrumors..." one more time I would get slapped. So I made him into a FoodTV chef: "This guy on FoodTV was talking about popcorn..." :D

peterjhill
May 22, 2002, 06:08 PM
Mac Rumors is now my first shortcut bar link, and about the only place I go to on the net for pleasure. :-)

About the VB programming that someone metioned, just get virtual pc for your powerbook, or better yet, ask them why they aren't teaching with a more crossplatform language. At Carnegie Mellon, where I work, and a damn good Computer Science institution, they pretty much use Java across the board for their computer language basics. Of course in the upper level classes, they have you write your own compilers and OS's. Personally, I think that Perl is a damn good language to learn. Extremely useful.

anyway, Internet = Mac.rumors right?

britboy
May 22, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by cleo
...I realized that if I said, "This guy on Macrumors..." one more time I would get slapped.

ha ha ha ha ha!!! I sometimes feel sorry for our non-geek partners :D

kishba
May 22, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
About the VB programming that someone metioned, just get virtual pc for your powerbook, or better yet, ask them why they aren't teaching with a more crossplatform language. At Carnegie Mellon, where I work, and a damn good Computer Science institution, they pretty much use Java across the board for their computer language basics. Of course in the upper level classes, they have you write your own compilers and OS's. Personally, I think that Perl is a damn good language to learn. Extremely useful.

hehe i'm in high school and the course is called "visual basic" so i'm kinda stuck with the language... i would love to use vpc but i don't have very much harddrive space in my powerbook g3 (it has a tiny 6 gig hard drive) for another os

luckily my class is almost over... i can't stand working on those crappy peecees for too long :)

jefhatfield
May 22, 2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by britboy
You know you've spent too much time on macrumors when you read your handle as though it were your real name!

that is so true

jef and hatfield are cartoon characters of mine

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by kishba

i know *EXACTLY* what you mean... i was in chicago for a whole week for a school competition and i was devastated by my lack of macrumors... i came back and the whole world had changed... eye had broken up with his gf and apple showed off the xserve...

he he he....I didn't realize my life outside of macrumors was of any importance...but glad to know my thread of love lost was considered something valid... :D ;) :p

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 07:20 PM

my ex-girlfriend used to get mad at me for posting while I was at her house...he he he :D

but hey! she was in the tub...or blowdrying hair...or something...what else was I to do?! ;)

Luckily my GF is pretty great in this dept. (as well as many others). She kinda gets a kick out of my geekness. :D

I would check email/macrumors every morning when she would shower and I would drink coffee. It worked out great because I'm a horrible beast in the morning until I have my coffee, so I got what I wanted and she didnt have to deal with the morning monster!:eek:

She lives in Palo Alto so I made her goto the Palo Alto Apple Store (which is 3 minutes walking distance from her) a few times. She's so close to buying an iBook...if they had DVD-r's in them she'd buy right now....:rolleyes: Oh well, at least I've finally gotten her to crave the mac as much (almost) as I and hate her stupid HP! ;)

mac15
May 22, 2002, 07:23 PM
I usually don't let people watch me post at my house
I'm usually here when they are far away from the computer
I don't know why I do it......it's just me

Macmaniac
May 22, 2002, 07:29 PM
You've been spending too much time on Macrumors when you rush to your homeroom and fire up Macrumors and completly forget to study for that test next peroid.
You've been spending too much time on Macrumors when your mom starts asking u who are these Mac15 and Dukestreet people?
You've been spending too much time on Macrumors when you set it to the startup homepage on every computer in the school.

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by mac15
I usually don't let people watch me post at my house
I'm usually here when they are far away from the computer
I don't know why I do it......it's just me

one word...paranoia... ;)

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 07:34 PM
you know you've been spending too much time on macrumors when....you're emotion's only come out of your fingertips in symbols such as : :) :( :D :mad:

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 07:36 PM

one word...paranoia... ;)

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you..."

-Kurt Cobain

Rower_CPU
May 22, 2002, 07:36 PM
...you're having a conversation with someone in real-life and you begin each reply with "quote, originally posted by..."

...you care more about who's going to get an avatar next than what's going on the in the Middle-East.

...you wish vbcode for smilies could be used in real-life.

...you get the urge to sit and watch eyelikeart's post count grow.

...you spend time pondering the deep-seated differences between MacRumors and Spymac, and why one can't get along with the other.

...you can't wait to see the next iteration of dukestreet's avatar, or a new one created by him.

...you live for the moment that AlphaTech goes off on a newbie.

Just a short-list...:D

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 07:43 PM
I'm working out right now...

see? I told u!!! :eek: :cool: ;)

britboy
May 22, 2002, 07:53 PM

What are you working out? Your fingers?

Damn... that came out wrong ;) :p

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 07:54 PM

HAHAHA!! Now do 5 more sets! :p

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 08:16 PM

HAHAHA!! Now do 5 more sets! :p

well I'm done now...

actually....I've eaten dinner as well...

hmm....think I'll go find a coffee shop... :D

mac15
May 22, 2002, 08:21 PM
I have the day off today
cough cough.......:D so Expect to see me all day
and eyelikeart what do you do.....you must work so hard:D

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by mac15
I have the day off today
cough cough.......:D so Expect to see me all day
and eyelikeart what do you do.....you must work so hard:D

He gets 10 cents a post...

kishba
May 22, 2002, 08:31 PM

hahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahaha hhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahha hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha hahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhah

sorry, that was just TOO funny... he must be rich...

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 08:32 PM

hey who told u that?! it's a dirty damned lie!!! ;)

mac15....I'm a production artist for a printing company during the day...I sit in front of G4 tower 9 hours a day that's got a constant internet connection (dsl)...not to mention I am a bit fidgety...he he he... :D

but late at night...hmm...unless I'm out at a coffee shop...or if it's the weekend....I suppose I'm here till I finally force myself to go to bed...

kishba
May 22, 2002, 08:34 PM
actually now that i think about it... he wouldn't be too rich at all... on $273

he wouldn't even have an ipod yet... :)

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by kishba
actually now that i think about it... he wouldn't be too rich at all... on $273

he wouldn't even have an ipod yet... :)

that all depends where he lives...$273 is A LOT of money in say...Kenya for one. Sure in the US and other western countries 273 US dollars isnt a lot but it would certainly go a long way in the Czech Rep....

Hmm...does he really live in New Orleans....?:rolleyes:

also, I don't have an iPod yet.... :(

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 08:57 PM
thanks for raining on my parade kish...he he he...

and I technically live in a suburb of New Orleans...

is that ok? ;)

teabgs
May 22, 2002, 09:10 PM
thanks for raining on my parade kish...he he he...

and I technically live in a suburb of New Orleans...

is that ok? ;)

we cant all be perfect...its ok with me....to each his own...:D

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:24 PM
Today I started telling my housemate about Duke's popcorn recipe, but I realized that if I said, "This guy on Macrumors..." one more time I would get slapped. So I made him into a FoodTV chef: "This guy on FoodTV was talking about popcorn..." :D

Did you try it?

I'd prefer Iron Chef Dukestreet:D

Backtothemac
May 22, 2002, 11:38 PM
When you get 300 e-mails in a day from Macrumors.....

When you talk more to the people here through the day, than you do your whole family.

When you realize that 8 hours of your day are spent on the boards. (Dear God how am I still married?)

When you drive your wife insane, and she says if I can't beat them, join them.

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
When you drive your wife insane, and she says if I can't beat them, join them.

That has to be the best, without a doubt.

How is MrsB2TM, haven't seen her post recently. She's got to get on the ball to get that 'tar you know!:D

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 11:50 PM
When you get 300 e-mails in a day from Macrumors.....

exactly why I stopped subscribing to threads...

it just got to be way too much to deal with!!! :eek:

Mr. Anderson
May 22, 2002, 11:54 PM
exactly why I stopped subscribing to threads...

I tried that once and realized it was a very bad idea. I could just imagine if it had been a thread like the Travis one or Macs and Politics v.2, nutso!:D

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I tried that once and realized it was a very bad idea. I could just imagine if it had been a thread like the Travis one or Macs and Politics v.2, nutso!:D

yeah duke...your mailbox would have blown up! :eek: :D

Rower_CPU
May 23, 2002, 12:01 AM
I don't know how you guys can do that...I would forget which threads I had posted to and end up rereading everything...blechhh!

But, it does seem like you guys are on the ball and get on new threads quicker than most...

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I don't know how you guys can do that...I would forget which threads I had posted to and end up rereading everything...blechhh!

The tough part is knowing when a thread has changed subject and isn't what the original title says it is. That happens all the time. Just another example you've been on MacRumors too much....

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

But, it does seem like you guys are on the ball and get on new threads quicker than most...

I definitely don't always remember which threads I've been to...unless it's a good one...like Miss Macrumors 2002...he he he... :D

but screw subscribing...I'd never get through my emails... :eek: ;)

Backtothemac
May 23, 2002, 12:11 AM

That has to be the best, without a doubt.

How is MrsB2TM, haven't seen her post recently. She's got to get on the ball to get that 'tar you know!:D

One of our cats has been real sick to the point that is was to sad to deal with. He passed away this morning, and now she is dealing with that. She will sprout up soon. She is just trying to deal with the loss. She had him for 14 years, so it was hard for her. Anyway, I have to show her how to do quotes, and stuff like that.

I am hoping she will show up in the politics thread soon, and then we can really keep it going. ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:15 AM
One of our cats has been real sick to the point that is was to sad to deal with. He passed away this morning, and now she is dealing with that. She will sprout up soon. She is just trying to deal with the loss. She had him for 14 years, so it was hard for her. Anyway, I have to show her how to do quotes, and stuff like that.

I am hoping she will show up in the politics thread soon, and then we can really keep it going. ;)

Sorry to hear that, I've had to deal with the death of a pet several times, its never easy.

That politics thread is huge, I'm truly amazed that its gone on as long as it has. Crazy!

Backtothemac
May 23, 2002, 12:17 AM

Sorry to hear that, I've had to deal with the death of a pet several times, its never easy.

That politics thread is huge, I'm truly amazed that its gone on as long as it has. Crazy!

Some of it is really good stuff. Me and Mcrain have gotten stupid a couple of times over Clinton and Bush, but the majority of the posts are really good.

Oh, and one other thing.

When you dream that you pass eye in posts....

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 01:23 AM

haha. i was able to pass it off as "the guy who i'm gonna do a 3D project with...." haha. foodtv chef. that's a compliment to duke! ha

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

haha. i was able to pass it off as "the guy who i'm gonna do a 3D project with...." haha. foodtv chef. that's a compliment to duke! ha

So have you tried it yet? I'm interested in your opinion. My old housemate, the gourmet chef was amazed with it. All he could say was, now why didn't I think of that. :D

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 09:57 AM

So have you tried it yet? I'm interested in your opinion. My old housemate, the gourmet chef was amazed with it. All he could say was, now why didn't I think of that. :D

haven't had time.... don't think it'll be today. so probably the weekend, when my girlfriend's here.

she can't cook and she doesn't get into popcorn like i do, so she won't get very fired up about it... except when i say "this guy from macrumors said..." haha. a kick in the pants to wake me up should be ok...

mcrain
May 23, 2002, 10:09 AM
What popcorn recipe. I want it too! Can I, can I, can I... p p p p p l e a s e???

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
What popcorn recipe. I want it too! Can I, can I, can I... p p p p p l e a s e???

you can find it here

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4727&perpage=25&pagenumber=5

cleo
May 23, 2002, 10:56 AM

Did you try it?

I'd prefer Iron Chef Dukestreet:D

Aaaaah! Iron Chef is seriously my favorite show in the world. I am such a geek about it. Even though I've seen it, like, 500 times, I crack up every time the guy takes a bite out of the pepper and gives that goofy grin at the beginning. So funny! I think my favorite ever was the milk challenge.

(We haven't tried the popcorn yet... probably this weekend after we go to the farmer's market to get some fresh herbs. Speaking of... how do you grow your own herbs? Would they grow in Florida, without a fancy setup?)

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 10:59 AM

Aaaaah! Iron Chef is seriously my favorite show in the world. I am such a geek about it. Even though I've seen it, like, 500 times, I crack up every time the guy takes a bite out of the pepper and gives that goofy grin at the beginning. So funny! I think my favorite ever was the milk challenge.

I will say it's definitely interesting to watch...

the only thing I don't get....well...not the only...but this one sticks out in my head the most...

is whenever they make ice cream with fish meat/guts...

has anyone actually tasted this before?! :eek: :D

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:14 PM

OMG! Again, small world. It is one of my favorites as well. We have a suspision the Iron Chef Chen must be having an affair with the fortune teller because she always picks him over the challenger. She'll say things like 'This is the best I've ever had' for the challenger and rate him a 18 and give Chen a 20.

Crazy show, did you ever see the Bobby Flay / Iron Chef cookoff? Never seen the Milk Challenge, that would be fun.

rdhazrd
May 23, 2002, 01:13 PM
How about when you search MacRumors for recipes?

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by rdhazrd
How about when you search MacRumors for recipes?

now that's a new one...

several weeks back when they were trying to figure out how many women were here....I thought the site would turn into a dating service...he he he :D

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 01:30 PM

now that's a new one...

several weeks back when they were trying to figure out how many women were here....I thought the site would turn into a dating service...he he he :D

Or better yet a new topic Macs and Recipes, better than just food and we can put in our favorite stuff to cook. I'm starting it.

cleo
May 23, 2002, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the thing with Bobby Flay was good. That guy cracks me up. He seriously is the king of salsas/pestos/other fresh things in the blender. I also liked the Tag Team Iron Chef one, where they didn't have any assistants.

I must say, the women they get to judge those things don't do a whole a lot for me. They're so damned giggly. "Tee hee, it reminds me of what my grandmother used to make. Tee hee!"

Did you see the one about tuna? (I think it was tuna, might have been salmon. No, pretty sure it was tuna.) Anyway, the challenger did this thing where he covered the entire fish in dough, then carved the dough to look like a fish, with scales and everything. It was soooo cool.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 01:44 PM
Did you see the one about tuna? (I think it was tuna, might have been salmon. No, pretty sure it was tuna.) Anyway, the challenger did this thing where he covered the entire fish in dough, then carved the dough to look like a fish, with scales and everything. It was soooo cool.

Yes, that was quite impressive.

Have you seen the spoof on SNL with Charlie Sheen as Bachelor Chef? OMG, its a riot. The food is Shark's head. But Chen pulls out the secret bottle of eel farts, and I almost died. Then the actress (TeeHee) tastes the soup and says its a little salty, must be the eel farts. Classic.

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 01:47 PM

Yes, that was quite impressive.

Have you seen the spoof on SNL with Charlie Sheen as Bachelor Chef? OMG, its a riot. The food is Shark's head. But Chen pulls out the secret bottle of eel farts, and I almost died. Then the actress (TeeHee) tastes the soup and says its a little salty, must be the eel farts. Classic.

haha. i remember that one

haven't seen the show much, but we just got food network going here at home so i'll probably catch it.

when's it on? i could look it up, but i could also just ask you all... ha

cleo
May 23, 2002, 01:53 PM

Saturday nights at 10.

And you wonder why I'm single... :)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 01:54 PM

haha. i remember that one

haven't seen the show much, but we just got food network going here at home so i'll probably catch it.

Its usually on the weekends, early to late evening. 10 on friday, saturday. I haven't seen it in a couple of months though. Been to crazy at home.

jelloshotsrule
May 23, 2002, 02:02 PM

Saturday nights at 10.

And you wonder why I'm single... :)

funny, i'm not single yet i'm home at saturday nights at 10... hmmm

ha.

thanks. i'll check it out...

on a tv note: heard about this american idol show coming up? that looks funny as crap. some dumb reality show about people trying out and the judges just trash them to their faces. haha

i'm easily amused