Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metroplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I am thinking about buying an iPod Touch - it's definitely the best looking PDA out there with the most features. I read an article on how to sync the Touch's calendar with Google calendar:

http://spiceminesofkessel.com/2008/02/18/tip-sync-a-calendar-with-the-ipod-touch/

I just tried out Google Calendar and was impressed with how easily it imported my ICS file.

I would like to know how robust the Touch's calendar applet is and how easy / effective it is to subscribe to Google calendar? Is it all it is cracked up to be? I am planning to drive down to the Apple store in a few days to play around with a Touch, but I would like some first-hand advice before I go.

I also do not have WiFi at home. I have a wired LAN with a cable modem. What's the easiest way of setting up a very limited access WiFi point that is secured and partitioned from the rest of my LAN? I do not want a War driver or some hacker accessing my shared network resources. The Wifi would just be for WiFi-capable devices to access the Internet and sync up to servers.

Thanks in advance.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I use Calgoo Connect to sync ical with my Google calendar. Then it's a mater of just checking the box in itunes in order to sync the ipod touch's calendar with ical. the Calggo program is free and was a piece of cake to setup

metroplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I don't have iCal, and Outlook won't import my ICS file. Google could link up with Calgoo, but Calgoo wouldn't update Outlook. During the sync process, Calgoo took up 167MB of RAM while Outlook gobbled up 100MB of RAM. I haven't figured out a way to import my calendar into the iPod Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.