PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple swap out my phone?

BobboZR2
Aug 9, 2008, 10:38 AM
This is my third replacement but I noticed a sliver of light leak on the upper left side of the phone. The black plastic also overhangs the bezel quite a bit on the left side of the phone. The GPS also seems to struggle to get a lock on me and when it does, it's never a full lock. Will/should Apple replace my phone?

tdhurst
Aug 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
How in the heck would we know? Take it in!

docal97
Aug 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
any pics of the bezel issue?

Honestly, no one around here could tell u what Apple will do, people have had mixed experiences with these things. Just take it in, I'm sure they will take care of u.

Auzburner
Aug 9, 2008, 12:15 PM
Honestly, this is what they are paid for... To help you, the customer. Any bit of in-satisfaction warrants you the right to go talk. Wether or not they can legally help you by replacement is different, but they always want a happy customer that continues to $$$. Give it a try with your genius!

lordhamster
Aug 9, 2008, 01:24 PM
This is my third replacement but I noticed a sliver of light leak on the upper left side of the phone. The black plastic also overhangs the bezel quite a bit on the left side of the phone. The GPS also seems to struggle to get a lock on me and when it does, it's never a full lock. Will/should Apple replace my phone?

Try standing outside, your GPS will lock right on to you.

docprego
Aug 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
I am always amazed when people question whether they are entitled to a replacement. It's simple, if the phone has a defect you are entitled to a replacement. You did not walk in that store and enter into an agreement with Apple to purchase the phone for $299 (or $199) with certain defects being acceptable. You walked in there, paid full price, and should have a product that you are pleased with.

Put it this way, did you walk in and say "today I am paying $249, I will accept light leak and plastic overhang in exchange". Of course you didn't, so if they won't accept a compromised price from you, you should not accept a compromised product from them.

I am always amazed at what junk people are willing to accept from Apple, I am not one of those people.

lordhamster
Aug 9, 2008, 01:37 PM
I am always amazed when people question whether they are entitled to a replacement. ...
I am always amazed at what junk people are willing to accept from Apple, I am not one of those people.

I think what people are really asking indirectly is "is this normal/common?" I think if the answer is "They are all like that" the original poster would just keep the phone.

docprego
Aug 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think what people are really asking indirectly is "is this normal/common?" I think if the answer is "They are all like that" the original poster would just keep the phone.

You have proven my point. How is light leak and plastic overhang EVER normal? You mean Apple enthusiasts are willing to accept it as the norm? Well that wouldn't surprise me, as I said I am always amazed at the junk people are willing to accept from Apple.

lordhamster
Aug 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
You have proven my point. How is light leak and plastic overhang EVER normal? You mean Apple enthusiasts are willing to accept it as the norm? Well that wouldn't surprise me, as I said I am always amazed at the junk people are willing to accept from Apple.

I think you missed my point. I don't think people are asking permission to exchange, they may be trying to see if they can get their issue resolved. If for example all iPhones have a light leak, then exchanging it won't do any good. At that point the options are return it for a refund or live with it.

BobboZR2
Aug 9, 2008, 02:35 PM
I am always amazed when people question whether they are entitled to a replacement. It's simple, if the phone has a defect you are entitled to a replacement. You did not walk in that store and enter into an agreement with Apple to purchase the phone for $299 (or $199) with certain defects being acceptable. You walked in there, paid full price, and should have a product that you are pleased with.

Put it this way, did you walk in and say "today I am paying $249, I will accept light leak and plastic overhang in exchange". Of course you didn't, so if they won't accept a compromised price from you, you should not accept a compromised product from them.

I agree with your statement wholeheartedly. However, during one of my 4 (!!!) exchanges, they argued with me that lower than normal phone reception and a dead pixel were "normal" and would not budge on exchanging the phone. It wasn't until I raised hell with the manager that they gave me back my previous phone (at my request); still refusing to replace the phone that in there opinion "works perfectly fine/...are all like that". I took that phone to another Apple Store and they replaced it.

Anyway, I returned the above phone today and was able to exchange it; but not for the problems I initially mentioned. On the way there I noticed the battery was draining very fast and decided to throw that out as my first complaint. Sure enough, when they ran a diagnostic on it, it showed that I was getting less than average talk time. I briefly mentioned the GPS issue, but I really didn't have to since the battery issue warranted an exchange.

For the record, the Apple Store in Freehold, NJ sucks and the Apple Store in Atlantic City, NJ rules.

This is my 5th iPhone (4th replacement) and so far it looks/functions prefectly.

*knocks on wood*