Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
stupid question but i just dont know the answer..
I download songs..can i put it on many ipods.which can then put it on other computers?

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
I dont think you can add it to other computers from the iPods, but yes you can have it on 5 ipods i believe, just need to authorize it

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Unless they've changed the restriction since I last looked it's unlimited iPods but only up to five computers. The iPods pick up the authorisation from the computer's iTunes when you sync the library onto it, but if you put the song onto another copy of iTunes it will ask for authorisation again.

Only iTunes purchased songs will transfer off iPods to another computer. MP3s or anything you've ripped from a CD won't.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Unless they've changed the restriction since I last looked it's unlimited iPods but only up to five computers. The iPods pick up the authorisation from the computer's iTunes when you sync the library onto it, but if you put the song onto another copy of iTunes it will ask for authorisation again.

Only iTunes purchased songs will transfer off iPods to another computer. MP3s or anything you've ripped from a CD won't.

yep..5 authorized computers per itunes acount, but as many ipods as you care to sync.

Both correct.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
so if i buy song off amazon..i cant put that on another computer?

but on itunes..i could? What is with this whole DRM thing. If amazon doesnt have that..why cant you put their songs on other computers?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
No. You can put it on other computers.

but on itunes..i could?
That's only for iTMS purchased songs. You can upload them from the iPod to a computer that has been authorized.

So say you have a MBP and you purchase music from iTMS. Then sync to your iPod Nano for example. Then later you purchase an iMac and authorize that iMac. Now when you connect your iPod Nano to the iMac you will have the option of copying the iTMS purchased songs from the iPod Nano to the iMac.

For all other music, you can just copy to an external HD, then transfer to the iMac. Or you can get a program like Senuti to transfer songs from your iPod to your computer that were not purchased on iTMS.

What is with this whole DRM thing. If amazon doesnt have that..why cant you put their songs on other computers?
You can.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006

but on itunes..i could? What is with this whole DRM thing. If amazon doesnt have that..why cant you put their songs on other computers?
Amazon sells all their stuff DRM free, so you can use it how ever you like. Some of the music on iTunes is also DRM-free, but a few of the major record companies are still insisting that Apple sell the music from their artists with DRM, so for those tracks the restrictions still apply. It's all to do with Apple's early domination in the online music area, which the majors aren't too happy about, so they're building up competitors such as Amazon by allowing them to offer a better product.

As far as I'm concerned it all works on Macs and iPods so it's all good. A few years back there was a danger that all the online stores were going to adopt Microsoft's DRM which was Windows only, and hence freezing out Mac users. Now the idea of DRM has passed I don't care where I buy the music from.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Amazon sells all their stuff DRM free, so you can use it how ever you like. Some of the music on iTunes is also DRM-free, but a few of the major record companies are still insisting that Apple sell the music from their artists with DRM, so for those tracks the restrictions still apply. It's all to do with Apple's early domination in the online music area, which the majors aren't too happy about, so they're building up competitors such as Amazon by allowing them to offer a better product.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: There are two separate issues here; what does the software allow you to do, and what does the law allow you to do. Without DRM in the way, the music can be copied freely, but giving it away to others would be illegal.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Just to avoid any misunderstandings: There are two separate issues here; what does the software allow you to do, and what does the law allow you to do. Without DRM in the way, the music can be copied freely, but giving it away to others would be illegal.
Exactly, but in my view using something how you want and giving it away are two completely different things ;)

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
DRM trick is to burn all the DRM'd songs on a disk and reburn them into your computer. it's been awhile since i did that (like itunes 6)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.