Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The attached image is a more detailed one of one i did 12 mths ago comparing 1984 and 2003 computers.

It made me feel sick in the stomach to see how the PC industry had screwed me and not given half a rats to innovation and improving the user experience.

Apple really do lead the way in re-thinking the personal computer.

Attachments

• historycomputers.jpg
    historycomputers.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 200

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Amen to that. But remember its the job of the "PC" makers to copy Apple's innovations.

I am still amazed to the progress that has been made in 20 years. Can you imagine what computers will be like 20 years from now???

Aside, I am amazed as to the progress the entire medical industry has made as a result of computers. Research, Imaging, etc. have really aided us in learning how we can all live fuller, longer and relatively healthy lives.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
The thing that struck me when I first did this was how PCs sold today, except for being slimmer, don't look any different to 20 years ago - and for the first years are all but identical. Sickening.

The 2003 PC is an IBM (as is the 1984).

The 1997 Mac is the 20th Anniversary one which was unique at the time and still looks quite futuristic - in fact it looks a like like I expect of the next iMac.

Below is a more conventional Mac from 97.

PS When I first did the 1984/2003 evolution and looked at it, that was the moment I finally decided I MUST get a Mac. I had to support the company that was innovating and taking the industry forward.

Attachments

• pm5500.jpg
    pm5500.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 126
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.