PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth SPEAKERS? help please.

lindsayanng
Aug 10, 2008, 01:09 AM
Ok, i am pretty tech savy, but when i comes to bluetooth, I am entirely stupid. I have NEVER used anything bluetooth.. but i was looking for a handsfree option for when i was driving, and i found this:
brando bluetooth fm transmitter (http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02723&dept_id=060&cat_id=0310)

I just wanted to know what makes this thing "bluetooth"? it doesnt work with a headset correct?? So why is this any different than just an FM transmitter? Does it have an external microphone?? I am a tad confused i guess.

Any info or suggestions are welcome.

The MAIN reason i am interested in this one is because it is an all in one (it charges and fm transmitter) that does NOT have the gooseneck that goes right into the cigarette lighter. Unfortunately, my car is not set up great for electronics and none of those will fit (my key hole is two inches away from the outlet which is directly under and behind the windsheild wiper lever)

docprego
Aug 10, 2008, 02:33 AM
Ok, i am pretty tech savy, but when i comes to bluetooth, I am entirely stupid. I have NEVER used anything bluetooth.. but i was looking for a handsfree option for when i was driving, and i found this:
brando bluetooth fm transmitter (http://shop.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=02723&dept_id=060&cat_id=0310)

I just wanted to know what makes this thing "bluetooth"? it doesnt work with a headset correct?? So why is this any different than just an FM transmitter? Does it have an external microphone?? I am a tad confused i guess.

Any info or suggestions are welcome.

The MAIN reason i am interested in this one is because it is an all in one (it charges and fm transmitter) that does NOT have the gooseneck that goes right into the cigarette lighter. Unfortunately, my car is not set up great for electronics and none of those will fit (my key hole is two inches away from the outlet which is directly under and behind the windsheild wiper lever)
What makes it Bluetooth is the fact that it communicates with devices via a Bluetooth connection. A Bluetooth connection is just another type of wireless connection. It communicates via radio waves and is intended for short distance connections while having low power usage.

The device you linked to apparently allows you to transmit music via Bluetooth to it and then to rebroadcast that music to the FM stereo in your vehicle with the FM transmitter. BE ADVISED! This will not work with an iPhone because Apple has not activated A2DP on it yet. A2DP is what is called a Bluetooth profile, in this case this profile enables streaming of stereo audio. The iPhone does not support A2DP natively, however you can add an A2DP adapter to the iPhone to get around this.

That device also appears to allow transmission of voice via Bluetooth to the unit and then it can be transmitted via FM to your car stereo. This should work fine with the iPhone. I am not seeing a specific mention of an included microphone though the product page does say "iPhone Hands-free supports talking through car speaker system." Unless they mean using the iPhone's built in microphone, then the unit must have a microphone.

That unit is very interesting, I have never seen it before and don't know if it functions well. Anyone have experience with this device?

lindsayanng
Aug 10, 2008, 02:42 AM
I agree that this is a really interesting device. I just don't see the poo t of it being Bluetooth if it is wired to the phone. The power and audio jacks plug into it. That is what confused me. It seems More like just an fm transmitter.

So you are saying that I can not yet listen to my iphone iPod app through the fm transMitter? I would have though the Bluetooth was for calling and the fm transmitter for the music??

I'm sooooo confused!

If ape does allow the bluetooth broadcasti g, would that be a hardware or software change?

lindsayanng
Aug 10, 2008, 02:55 AM
ow. I really can not figure out the use for the Bluetooth!! Even if there is no use, I might just buy it because the goose neck doesn't go right onto the cigarette lighter. That's all I really need.

docprego
Aug 10, 2008, 02:55 AM
I agree that this is a really interesting device. I just don't see the poo t of it being Bluetooth if it is wired to the phone. The power and audio jacks plug into it. That is what confused me. It seems More like just an fm transmitter.

So you are saying that I can not yet listen to my iphone iPod app through the fm transMitter? I would have though the Bluetooth was for calling and the fm transmitter for the music??

I'm sooooo confused!

If ape does allow the bluetooth broadcasti g, would that be a hardware or software change?
Without the add on Bluetooth adapter you cannot use that device for music listening over your stereo. However if it uses the iPhones dock connector that will transmit music over FM.

lindsayanng
Aug 10, 2008, 02:58 AM
that, I guess us where I am confused. If it has an fm transmitter, and it's wired, why Bluetooth? Why not just transmit directly through the transmitter?

Where would I get an adapter like that? Is that another thing that needs to be powered? I sent them an email asking them to clarify.

lindsayanng
Aug 10, 2008, 08:14 PM
I think i am just going to buy this thing. I dont mind being the first to try it out.. This will have been my second all-in-one that i tried. The first didnt charge the phone AND didnt fit in my stupid car. Still no response from brando. I tried emailing them before and never got a response - not good business in my eyes, but i cant find this anywhere else.

here is one from walmart thats REALLY expensive - surprisingly.. but this one actually SAYS that it has a microphone in it.

walmart fm transmitter/bluetooth (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9856558)

HOLY CRAP - after searching, walmart is like, $50 more then a BUNCH of other websites!