PDA

View Full Version : Software Update can't find the update server

thursdayn
Aug 10, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hi.

I've just switched to a Macbook running on OS X 10.5.4. But I'm having trouble when it comes to running software updates for any of my programs. The most common message is that it is unable to connect to the server, however my wireless internet is connected and working fine (and when I run Network Diagnostics it cannot find anything wrong).

The only other problem I am facing is that Safari cannot connect to the internet either (despite Firefox being able to).

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Kilamite
Aug 10, 2008, 07:38 AM
Mac OS X Software Update or independent application software updates?

Go to System Preferences --> Network and then the AirPort tab. It should say connected with a valid IP (assigned from your wireless router). But since FireFox works, I doubt it'll be to do with your network settings.

Do you use OS X Mail? If so, does that work?

MacHamster
Aug 10, 2008, 08:30 AM
Does System-Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> Proxies tab contain any wrong information?

(This can also be reached via Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies: Change Settings.

Your problem sounds a little bit like all the native Mac apps (update, Safari etc) are using different settings to non-native apps like Firefox.

HTH.

thursdayn
Aug 10, 2008, 09:02 AM
Does System-Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> Proxies tab contain any wrong information?

(This can also be reached via Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Proxies: Change Settings.

Your problem sounds a little bit like all the native Mac apps (update, Safari etc) are using different settings to non-native apps like Firefox.

HTH.

I think I've solved the problem. My Mac came pre-configured. There was a PAC File URL where there shouldn't have been. Am now accessing Safari and some other native Mac applications.

Thank you!