Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
So i've recently dug up my old G3 powerbook, and trying to breath some life into it.

It currently runs OS 9.2 - And I want to Install Linux

Anyway - the CD-rom drive seems to be malfunctioning. Every time i put a CD in I get an Initialize Disk menu

The old:
This disk is unreadable by this Computer. Do you want to initialize the disk?

Name: untitled
Format: ProDos 0K

I know that the CD's are formatted correctly because I connected and Old external CD burner and it reads the Disk no problem.

I even tried OLD audio CD's released pre this powerbooks existence and they won't open/play either.

The problem this is causing is that I can't boot from any CD - be it the install disk for OS 9, the Linux install disk I made (I know it works because i've used it to install Linux it on my G4), I've tried my Jaguar CD, I've tried my Tiger CD

nothing works

Obviously they mount when I use the external drive, But it won't let me boot off of that drive.

I was considering installing the system file unto a USB drive, but I have no reason to believe that it will work.

The other possibilities are taking out the Drive, and using a different computer to install the OS and the putting it back into the G3.

Thoughts?

any thoughts on what might be a malfunction in the CD drive?

thanks

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
anyone?

my USB drive says it's unsupported so I can't initialize it under OS 9

I'm going to run out and get a 2.5 inch IDE adapter so I can swap it into one of my desktops when the stores open -- and try that

but anyone know how I could test for what's wrong with my CD drive?

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
It just sounds like your optical drive is bad. That happens, perhaps especially on laptops... in my experience, optical drives never last very long. Just try ebaying one to replace it with. Lombards are fun computers.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
It just sounds like your optical drive is bad. That happens, perhaps especially on laptops... in my experience, optical drives never last very long. Just try ebaying one to replace it with. Lombards are fun computers.

any suggusted alternatives? (I'll take a look on ebay -- I feel it might be tough though)

I'm having trouble booting off of a external CD drive -- it does mount once it loads on system drive

and I can't boot off of a USB drive I installed OS 9.1 on either

any ideas/thoughts, suggestions

I'm even considering doing a netboot -- but i have 0 experience with such a set up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.