Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wally Sean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
I'm trying to add a lot of grain and scratches to a movie I'm making using Final Cut Pro, similar to the grindhouse and kung fu of the 70's. I know there's a pretty decent film grain effect in iMovie, but I haven't found anything with the similar effect in Final Cut yet. Does anyone know if (1) if there is a similar effect in Final Cut (2) are there any plug-ins I can just download that'll make this effect, or (3) if i can just use the iMovie effect in Final Cut?

Wally Sean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
that looks great thanks. also does anyone know how to split specific frams apart into segments and then group them together as one frame?

Wally Sean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
what i'm trying to do is to basically split a clip in half. i remember seeing a friend's video where he walks behind a tree then appears walking out the other side looking entirely different. he said he did this by splitting the clip. i don't exactly remember what he said he did though.

Wally Sean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
i know how to do that. thanks though. sorry, i'm pretty bad at explaining myself.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
What you really want to do is some compositing work in After Effects or in FCS- Motion. You're masking out one half of the frame, and compositing the other half of the next frame within it.

You should do the Motion tutorials. This is a relatively easy thing to accomplish, but you'll learn how to do it properly in the tutorials.

In the short term, you can do a very quick and dirty version, like your friend did, by Cropping or Masking out part of the frame in the FCP timeline. This is one way to do that- probably the dirtiest. Again, to make this effect work properly, you really need to do it in other compositing programs. Until then:

1. Put the clips in two video tracks (V1, V2). Put one clip in V1, and the second clip directly above it on V2. make sure they are synced up how you want them to be.
2. Double click the clip in V2 to bring it into the Viewer window.
3. In the upper area of the Viewer window, click the "Motion" tab.
4. Look for "Cropping"
5. Tweak the left and right, or top and bottom cropping sliders until you've cut out the correct section of your frame. Note: If you have your playhead on the same frames in the timeline itself, you'll be able to see your adjustments in real time in the Browser window. So you should put the playhead in the clips you're working on.

That's it. You may have to render the video in order to see your work.

Tips:
1. Use the "edge feather" selection to tweak the "softness" of the crease on the cropping point. This will help to make it more invisible.
2. It's probably obvious, but for this effect to work the best, you have to have an identical frame for both clips. So if your friend jumps behind a tree and reemerges, the camera has NEVER MOVED. that will make the seam as invisible as possible.

videoguru

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
spliting video fields

You cannot split a frame of video into it's two fields. Or maybe you're asking about separating a clip into indiviudual frames?

-DH

it is very possible and extremely easy to split the 2 fields of video...im not sure if you were just saying you can't do it in final cut or if you were saying its just impossible..but in a editing program such as Quantel its very simple and the reason you would split a frame's fields is to create a perfect still frame without any jitter

MrLatte23

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
For your Composite effect...

Put them on two different layers in Final Cut, one above the other. Make a split using a mask down the middle or wherever you want the dividing line to be. On Clip A with the first part of the action mask off the half of the frame where they'll be different, and on Clip B where they've changed mask off the first part of the clip. So if their walking from left to right Clip A will have the right half masked off and Clip B will have the left half masked out. Play them together and adjust the timing and masks to get it perfect. Of course you'll need to have shot this with a locked off shot or used expensive motion tracking camera rigs.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
it is very possible and extremely easy to split the 2 fields of video...im not sure if you were just saying you can't do it in final cut or if you were saying its just impossible..but in a editing program such as Quantel its very simple and the reason you would split a frame's fields is to create a perfect still frame without any jitter

Since the OP was referring to Final Cut, yes I was also referring to what can and cannot be done in Final Cut. I haven't worked on a Quantel box, but if you remove one field of a frame of video, the end result would be every other scan line missing. To get a still frame of motion video to remain still (not jitter) on an interlaced display device, you need to deinterlace it which interpolates the remaining field to fill in where the other was removed ... cutting the effective resolution in half.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.