Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabre364

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I usually have my screen brightness set to a few ticks above the lowest, but when my screen shuts off (after 3 mins or whatever I have it set to in the control panel) and gets turned on again, the brightness is set to max. If I then drop the brightness by one tick, it drops to where it was set before.

It doesnt do this when I close the lid but it does go to full brightness when I restart the computer and as I enter the windows desktop it goes back to what it was set at.

Is this normal?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I usually have my screen brightness set to a few ticks above the lowest, but when my screen shuts off (after 3 mins or whatever I have it set to in the control panel) and gets turned on again, the brightness is set to max. If I then drop the brightness by one tick, it drops to where it was set before.

It doesnt do this when I close the lid but it does go to full brightness when I restart the computer and as I enter the windows desktop it goes back to what it was set at.

Is this normal?

There are a ton of dimming problems with Boot Camp. When dimming, the last 2 blocks are the same brightness. The backlight (on MacBook Pros) doesn't turn all the way off when turned down. And yes, when coming back from sleep/screen turning off due to activity the brightness is at full blast. Boot Camp has a lot of issues (not to mention Windows 64-bit issues on pre-2008 Macs). I hope Snow Leopard really fixes all these.

sabre364

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
There are a ton of dimming problems with Boot Camp. When dimming, the last 2 blocks are the same brightness. The backlight (on MacBook Pros) doesn't turn all the way off when turned down. And yes, when coming back from sleep/screen turning off due to activity the brightness is at full blast. Boot Camp has a lot of issues (not to mention Windows 64-bit issues on pre-2008 Macs). I hope Snow Leopard really fixes all these.
Ok, just checking.

I had not seen the backlight on the keyboard till I hard re-booted today when it just popped on. now I think its on 24/7, it hasnt turned off since it went on. :confused: I can turn it down, but its still on draining my battery. Also, I think I have to turn it down from 100% every time I turn it on.

sunnysheth

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Solved!

Is this normal?

I have been experiencing this same issue (very annoying) on my Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro. Installing the Boot Camp 3.1 update from Jan 19, 2010 seems to have fixed the bug of "screen brightness getting set to full/max/100% after turning on/waking from 'turn off display' power-save mode", most likely due to the updated Nvidia driver and bootcamp.exe.

The other thing about it doing that on a restart is because the boot camp application which stores and controls this setting doesn't run as a windows service (i.e. not under machine credentials) but instead under user credentials. So only when a user logs in and bootcamp.exe starts is when the screen brightness goes to what it was set at before the restart.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.