Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Ok this is really a multi part question. I am running a school network using osx 10.3. Most of the workstations are running 10.3.9 also.

I have just finished setting the workstations so the the users mount to their home folder on the server.

Out of the 60 workstations I've set up, 5 of them are giving me the message;

You are unable to login to the user account username at this time Login failed because an error occured The home folder for the user account is located on an AFP or SMB server Contact system admin for help

Why would this happen on only a few computers? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also, is there anyway to have every user have the same bookmarks when accessing the internet and have the same applications appear when they login without having to login to every single user and set them myself?

And although I have set my wgm to allow users to access only certain applications, which seem to change occasionally, and I can't seem to prevent the kids from getting into system preferences (they like to change the desktop) or from accessing the icon of the hard drive on the desktop. Or for the younger kids removing icons from the dock (their hand slides when they're clicking on them)

I know this is a lot, but thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.