Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Ok, My ISP is Virgin Media (UK) 10meg connection (cable), connected to my Mac Pro via ethernet cable (no wireless) from a Motorola Surfboard Modem,
Now ive just got a PS3 ( a couple of months ago) and I'm thinking about online gaming with it, what would i need? as you can tell i'm a complete noob to online gaming and just thought this would be the best place to get a few friendly tips,

tar ;)

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Um... you should just be able to hook the ethernet cable into the back of the PS3, and then change the Network Settings to Wired Connection. If not, I'm not quite sure.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
If you want to use the PS3 online without disconnecting your Mac form the internet, you will probably need a router or a splitter, so you can connect two devices to your modem using ethernet cables.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Does your modem acts as a router as well? the way to check is to look in the back of it....if you have more than one ethernet port then you are in good shape. If you only have one port then its time to buy a router to split up the connection.

From there its just plug test settings.

Bless

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 5, 2007
UK™
Does your modem acts as a router as well? the way to check is to look in the back of it....if you have more than one ethernet port then you are in good shape. If you only have one port then its time to buy a router to split up the connection.

From there its just plug test settings.

Bless

I think i'm looking at getting a router

thanks anyway guys ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.