PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all the Austrailian Members

Mr. Anderson
Jan 7, 2004, 12:27 PM
So in the US we have Thrift Stores, Salvation Army Stores, etc. where you can buy second hand stuff, from clothes to electronics. Not all of it is great, but the prices usually are.

A friend of mine is traveling down under for 6 weeks soon and was thinking of picking some stuff up that he wouldn't mind leaving behind.

So the question would be: Is there a chain of second hand stores like the Salvation Army or a different word to describe these stores instead of Thrift?

Thanks,

D

manitoubalck
Jan 7, 2004, 03:23 PM
There's heaps of 'Op" Shops, where you can buy a whole wardrobe of stuff for under $50AUD. The Slavo's are in every country. Don't worry there's plenty of second hand crap stores in the land of Aus.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 7, 2004, 03:41 PM
Slavo's?

Was that a typo? :D

D

edesignuk
Jan 7, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Slavo's?

Was that a typo? :D

D
I *think* he means the Salvation Army ;)

latergator116
Jan 7, 2004, 03:53 PM
hehe... the salvation army around here is like the Rolls-Royce of Slavation army's. All of the electronics are SO expensive and priced way more than thor actual value. They had a Mac classic/w keyboard and mouse for $120!! Now that's a rip off!

SallyWattle
Jan 7, 2004, 05:26 PM
Most of the smaller OP shops don't take or sell electrical items mostly for legal liability.
There are a lot of places which do sell electrical items.

mac15
Jan 7, 2004, 06:47 PM
Just drop em off at the Salvos or make a bit of Cash, sell em to Cashies (Cash Converters)

sonicbaz
Jan 9, 2004, 07:25 AM
FYI OP shop = OPportunity shop.

sonicbaz

B@SS_SHOCK
Jan 9, 2004, 10:00 AM
Usually if you hunt around the outer crust of state capital citys in Oz, you can find trendy little Op Shops that sell "in" and "retro" stuff at cheap prices.

I had a try and picked up both a pair of almost new Diesel and CK Jeans and it only cost me AU$100 for both. If you go to stores to find new pairs it'll cost you $400.

So yeah tell ya mate to look in those kinda inner-city Op Shops, you won't find as much flares and fluro mid-drifts as you would in the Salvation Army Stores :D :D

manitoubalck
Jan 9, 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
I *think* he means the Salvation Army ;)

Edesigunk, you've done it again;).

JesseJames
Jan 9, 2004, 07:23 PM
You know, this is off-topic but I gotta hand it to you Aussies.
You got cool beer commercials(Fosters).
You got some cool slang --bloody drungos, g'day mate, oy!
You are the land of Mad Max (cool leather outfits with shoulder pads), also Yahoo Serious.
Your wildlife is freaking deadly (Krikey!)
And you guys rappel or abseil face first.
Let's hear it for a land founded for convicts and criminals!!!
:D

manitoubalck
Jan 10, 2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by JesseJames
You know, this is off-topic but I gotta hand it to you Aussies.
You got cool beer commercials(Fosters).
You got some cool slang --bloody drungos, g'day mate, oy!
You are the land of Mad Max (cool leather outfits with shoulder pads), also Yahoo Serious.
Your wildlife is freaking deadly (Krikey!)
And you guys rappel or abseil face first.
Let's hear it for a land founded for convicts and criminals!!!
:D

While Fosters Larger is "promoted" as the "Aussie" beer, the fact of the matter is that noone in Australia drinks it.

Other than that, yes, Australia is great. And I mean really great. Come vist us some time.

note: South Australians drink 'Coopers Pale Ale'

kettle
Jan 10, 2004, 03:39 AM
S'pose they don't drink castlemaine xxxx either?

also, I watch neighbours alot and "Harold ishop" works for the "salvo's"

Which leads me on to "kylie" and my fav abreviation - "savo" short for "this afternoon"

oh and aussie students who always seem to get work in British Pubs. he he, gotta love yer student aussie.:)

Wardofsky
Jan 10, 2004, 04:57 AM
Heh heh, I love how Australia looks to most people...
I could drone on about how civilised we are *snooty accent* or I could just say "Blimey mate, sa bit of a dunny down 'ere when it's ****in down rain. But she's a beaut when it's sunnin' down".

I'll leave it at that.

MyLeftNut
Jan 10, 2004, 04:58 AM
Hehehe... yeah its almost a right of passage *sic* for Aussies to get work in London bars...before they become soapie stars...

Kettle...I think you're referring to arvo (afternoon)/ sarvo? I dont watch neighbours, so maybe they have another word for it...

We drink VB (Victoria Bitter), Cascade Pale Ale, Coopers, Coldies (Carlton Draught) just so you dont look like a drongo when you do order a beer here; Mad Max is kinda old skool, please dont refer to Yahoo Serious in any way; yes crikey, practically all our wildlife can kill you (including the chicks) and while I didnt know abseiling face forward was a particularly Australian thing to do, Im happy for you to believe it is :) . So take it from a fifth generation convict, its not such a bad place to be for a prison...

JesseJames
Jan 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/4367/

agreenster
Jan 10, 2004, 03:46 PM
My fav' Aussie slang has to be

Good on ya, mate!

I know what it means, but it makes no sense. ;)

manitoubalck
Jan 10, 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by kettle
S'pose they don't drink castlemaine xxxx either?

That's what Queenslander's drink.