Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Have a year old macbook and out of nowhere the screen stays gray with blinking file folder picture with question mark on it. Can anyone help?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
try booting into your first install disk and repairing your disk using Disk Utility and then selecting your hard drive in Startup Disk.

if you dont have your install disc reboot your mac and hold C. then at the prompt type "fsck -fy" and wait till your disk is repaired. continue until to fsck until it is "OK". then type "reboot".

iLEZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
Sweden
Hello!
I have the same problem, except that my keyboard stopped working just when the flashing hard-drive-icon problem appeared.
Coincidence? Can a failing HDD really cause the kbd to stop working?

Oh! And my battery died (after two years and one batt-replacement), so i have been shutting my MB off frequently by closing the lid and yanking the magsafe-chord after a few moments, so an incorrect power-down could very well be the cause of the failing HDD, i know that. Would i be better off replacing the top (kbd, mouse, plastic) of the MB? I'm already on my second top, and this one has a crack and a hole in it... I know, i know, i bring my MB with me everywhere, and it has seen some rough rides. ;)

jm4bcst1

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
try booting into your first install disk and repairing your disk using Disk Utility and then selecting your hard drive in Startup Disk.

if you dont have your install disc reboot your mac and hold C. then at the prompt type "fsck -fy" and wait till your disk is repaired. continue until to fsck until it is "OK". then type "reboot".

I tried this but there is no activity, just the grey screen with flashing question mark folder. I also tried holding the option button when starting up and doing this got me a cursor on the screen that will move and all just nothing to move to or click on.

Does anyone know what's going on? I really need some help, I'm overseas without my Startup Discs, is there anyway to figure this out without them?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Can you get your hands on some startup disks? If so, boot from them and try an Archive & Install. In the meantime, does fsck work for you? richthomas had the process half right, but boot the computer (without the startup disks) whilst holding COMMAND-S to get into Single User Mode, from where you can try fsck. :)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
sorry reboot your Mac and hold "command+S" to enter Single User Mode then type "fsck -fy". EDIT: beat me to it! ;)

also try resetting your PRAM by holding "command+option+P+R" on startup.

PandaRevolution

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
I have the same thing going on. I was given a ibook G4 by a friend. She told me she couldn't fix it. I have my old tiger disks but they wont work for some reason. So I tried to do all the things that were mentioned above.. Still no luck!
I tried to put in my leopard disk and got pretty far but it told me that there wasn't enough ram to run leopard. So I think my next option will be to buy a new stick of ram and try that... Unless you guys have anymore ideas?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.