Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Any idea when this is getting released? It should be a must have app...

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
This is what I find incredibly frustrating about the app store. The developers released DataCase almost a week ago (a week tomorrow if memory serves) and it still hasn't been approved, yet we've gotten more sudoku, calculators, tip applications, to-do lists, and other duplicate apps.

And no, I have nothing to do with developing the app, this just happens to be the one I've probably been most anticipating.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Yea, it is very anoying that we are getting so many repeats and the "good stuff" isn't coming out. I wonder if Apple tries to stager big releases to keep people interested for a greater length of time. We are currently waiting on the new versions of DataCase, iProcrastinate, and MobileChat all of which have been submitted. In the mean time we got "I am Rich"...

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
thats because simple games and smaller easier applications do not access the rest of the phone's os, so there is a lot less to test for. If an app is going to move files, apple wants to MAKE SURE that it is a safe app with no mal ware.. I dont understand why people dont get this??

The better the app, the more functions it has, the longer it is going to take to pull it apart to make sure it is safe!

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
thats because simple games and smaller easier applications do not access the rest of the phone's os, so there is a lot less to test for. If an app is going to move files, apple wants to MAKE SURE that it is a safe app with no mal ware.. I dont understand why people dont get this??

The better the app, the more functions it has, the longer it is going to take to pull it apart to make sure it is safe!

Yea, that makes sense, but do you know how much code is in this app compared to sudoku? I don't. Just because it access more API's doesn't make it more complex code. In fact, that would make more of the code recognizeable.

What I think they'd look for, if they were looking for something, is that it doesn't send out personal information along with files. That'd be a disaster. Apps aparently can't do that even if you tell them to!!! (ie. Aurora Feint)

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR

This is, of course, total speculation on your part. You have no clue, just the like the rest of us.

Assuming for a moment that this is the case, maybe Apple should use some of their revenue to hire a few more folks to speed up the process. DataCase is the only app I've paid much attention to during the development phase, but if they've been missing out on a weeks worth of sales, it does make me wonder how many other developers are in the same boat.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i do "have a clue" how this app would work. If it is downloading and moving files,t hen it HAS to have access to the OS's file management system, which in it of it's self is going to put up some extra red flags because apple does not want to release an app that might add some malicious files and programs to your phone (rightfully so)

So that means that already, they have do go through one more hurdle than say, sudoku. Sudoku might have the MOST complex code on the planet, but because it does not access other functions of the iphone, and all of it's code works within the application, then it will not put up any red flags. Because if the app does not access other functions of the iphone, it would be impossible to "plant" malicious files elsewhere.

Even apps that work with the iphone's contact list, web browser, and email are going to go through more rigorous testing than games that do not have that function because of the reach of the actual application.

I still do not see how this is so hard to understand. it makes sense.. A LOTmore sense than a conspiracy against the developers like i have seen mentioned in other threads.

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
i do "have a clue" how this app would work. If it is downloading and moving files,t hen it HAS to have access to the OS's file management system, which in it of it's self is going to put up some extra red flags because apple does not want to release an app that might add some malicious files and programs to your phone (rightfully so)

So that means that already, they have do go through one more hurdle than say, sudoku. Sudoku might have the MOST complex code on the planet, but because it does not access other functions of the iphone, and all of it's code works within the application, then it will not put up any red flags. Because if the app does not access other functions of the iphone, it would be impossible to "plant" malicious files elsewhere.

Even apps that work with the iphone's contact list, web browser, and email are going to go through more rigorous testing than games that do not have that function because of the reach of the actual application.

I still do not see how this is so hard to understand. it makes sense.. A LOTmore sense than a conspiracy against the developers like i have seen mentioned in other threads.

A lot of things "make sense," but that doesn't necessarily mean they're true. Again, you're just guessing like the rest of us, but that's your prerogative. ;) I certainly don't think it's a conspiracy on Apple's part, but I do think it's poor planning and poor customer service (both for users and developers).

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The problem with this type of app at the moment is that they require both the host PC and your iPhone to be part of the same wireless network, to me that is pretty much useless as a lot of the PC's I work with don't even have WiFi cards. Until someone comes out with functionality similar to turning the iPhone into a USB Mass Storage Device (if that is even possible) then all of these apps are a bit pointless to me.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008
The problem with this type of app at the moment is that they require both the host PC and your iPhone to be part of the same wireless network, to me that is pretty much useless as a lot of the PC's I work with don't even have WiFi cards. Until someone comes out with functionality similar to turning the iPhone into a USB Mass Storage Device (if that is even possible) then all of these apps are a bit pointless to me.

I don't know about that... I can see the same wifi network for syncing purposes. Wouldn't Mobile Me work better in your case?

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Where? Its not in the App Store yet...just checked.

It's on the main page of the app store for me when I click on "all iPhone applications".

Search for it maybe? It might come up then (not being sarcastic in suggesting you search.)

Also, there's a new app called MobileFinder which looks interesting. Same basic file manager/viewer type idea.

Added: It's on page 2 of this list as well, http://appstorefeed.com/upcoming

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
It's on the main page of the app store for me when I click on "all iPhone applications".

Search for it maybe? It might come up then (not being sarcastic in suggesting you search.)

Also, there's a new app called MobileFinder which looks interesting. Same basic file manager/viewer type idea.

Added: It's on page 2 of this list as well, http://appstorefeed.com/upcoming

I see it posted on the link you provided but it does not pull...search or other wise in the App Store.
Even iPhone App Store says no matches

Got it...never mind...it still does not show under search and there is no freebies for the first downloaders. it is as noted below!

juice831

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
you can also just go to the app store then form the left hand side select "All iPhone Applications" and sort them by recently added

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
OK, Now that DataCase was just released this afternoon, who's downloaded it? We need details man!!!! There are no reviews yet... ;)

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
OK, Now that DataCase was just released this afternoon, who's downloaded it? We need details man!!!! There are no reviews yet... ;)

I have it...can't review it cause there are no instructions. The video at the web site shows HOW to use it, but no where on setup. I guess I am just stupid or blind:eek:

bigrobb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2008
Tennessee
i downoaded it and when I opened it on my tpod touch my ipod touch showed up in the finder on my mac and I just dragged and dropped the files I wanted to move. works pretty good for me so far.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Just posted a review. Basically, it seems to work perfect! Viewed the files I copied over, and it was a piece of cake to get it to work. You basically launch the program and the phone shows up in the finder as a shared volume. Copy over and view the files on the phone. Works perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.