Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ciraric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
as i mentioned i have a disk stuck in my combo drive; it's a game disk if that makes a difference and i have tried restarting and holding the trackpad button down during start-up like the manual says but i would be grateful if anyone knew a technic for getting the disk out without taking apart the machine. My machine specs are-

15'' display combo drive
867 MHz
768 MB of RAM

P.S- the disk seems to be in the correct place it just doesnt show up on the computer or eject.

powerbookje

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
Belgium
try rebooting while holding the mouse key or you can reboot in open firmware (reboot and hold command+apple+o+f) and at the prompt type eject cd and enter next type bye and the mac will reboot... hope this helps

dadabase

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
brisbane australia
the allignement problems with the dvd seating in the 15" are a pain. dont try and force the cd as it will get some deep and nasty scratches - if i remember correctly i found a trick where you use a business card on one of the corners of the drive - the problem with the allingment issues is that the cd cant get pass the guard - just slideing the card under the cd should work - but while trying to trigger the mechanism dont force it - i think one of the main reasons for the allignment problem was incorectly placed feet for the drive - it has been awhile since i have had to do this - good luck

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
If all else fails, go down to your loca hardware store and pick up a pair of pointy nosed plyers and prize it from the drive. This however is a rather drastic solution.

Also there is a physical eject button which should work.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
With a stuck disc, 90% of the time, open firmware will get that sucker out. If not, try holding it with the optical drice slot facing downwards while ejecting it to let gravity help.

notmenotyou

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
NYC
have you try to use a pointe thing to hit the eject button on right hand side of the CD slot(not the regular F12 eject button)? this tiny little button should be a white. it's a hidden button of the slot loading drive, it's not easy to see. if someone teach me how to upload an image here, i can show you where it is on my TiBook.

lepwisk

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Toronto
A question: does this stuck disc show up in the Finder? If so, not sure what to do beyond what everyone else has written. If not, your drive may have shut down. Try resetting the PMU. If this is the problem, the disc should eject on startup. This fixed a problem on my TiBook where the drive would not accept any discs, seemingly the inverse of your problem.

Cheers, Lewis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.