PDA

View Full Version : Apple Display 21" screen vibrating

tjpratt
Jan 7, 2004, 02:23 PM
recently moved my monitor and it vibrates visually, slight shaking motion when i view it. Does not occur all the time but is VERY annoying. Any suggestions? Also, new to OSX I have 10.1, does this OS have a name, ie Panterh Jaguar? Thanks

tjpratt

Darwin
Jan 7, 2004, 03:53 PM
Just to let you know that there isn't a 21" Apple Display so it must be of another make,

As for the shaking maybe it's the Refresh Rate? . I don't know which frequency your Display works best at but maybe its worth a try

By the way 10.1 goes by the name of Puma

tad1952
Jan 7, 2004, 06:25 PM
Just a guess, but I had a similar problem. I had a new flourescent desk lamp. Over the course of the next few days, it got pushed closer & closer to my computer & I noticed that my monitor was wavering. Once I moved the base of the lamp away from my computer everything returned normal.

tjpratt
Jan 7, 2004, 09:58 PM
I checked my refresh rate, but the only opton that is highlighted is 75 hertz?
My resolution is 1152x870, it is an apple display, but the screen measures 191/2 diag, the biggest they had when i bought my G3, thanks for replying.

tjpratt

MoparShaha
Jan 7, 2004, 11:42 PM
It doesn't sound like a refresh rate problem. From what I understand, the screen image itself is shaking. That probably means your monitor is dying. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. I'd probably just pick up a new one. CRT's are cheap nowadays.

iJon
Jan 7, 2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Darwin
Just to let you know that there isn't a 21" Apple Display so it must be of another make,

As for the shaking maybe it's the Refresh Rate? . I don't know which frequency your Display works best at but maybe its worth a try

By the way 10.1 goes by the name of Puma
he is probably referring to the 20" apple crt, but it doesnt matter. are you using any extension cables and is your rez to high, could be your refresh rate.

iJon

tjpratt
Jan 8, 2004, 12:09 AM
The monitor is about 4 yrs old! that isn't old is it?

tjpratt

Sun Baked
Jan 8, 2004, 12:45 AM
If you're talking about the 21-inch Apple Studio Display, I'm surprised it's still working. There were quite a few that died after 2-3 years.

Try a different resolution/refresh rate -- it sounds like the monitor is having trouble syncing.

Could be dying, age, or something else in the house causing enough RFI to cause problems with the CRT.

---

You probably already know that those monitors would snap/pop/hum or have sync problems before they died.

It's strange that my VGA 17-inch Apple Studio Display died in the normal time frame -- but the updated ADC 17-inch Apple Studio Display is still running strong.

Dreadnought
Jan 8, 2004, 11:56 AM
I know what you mean, I have also a G3 with an Apple Multiple Scan 20" from 1990 on it. It also sometimes shakes a bit and then it's steady for hours. Doesn't mean anything, as long as it keeps working!! :D

zyuzin4
Jan 10, 2004, 08:37 AM
mmm I love my Apple 20" Multiple Scan that someone gave me for free! Manufactured: March 1995 works like a champ...too bad I have it hooked up to a windows box =( for now until I get my eMac. I had a Nanao monitor from 1993 bought with Centris 650 just die on my in 03...picture was ok but if the power was turned off, it had a very hard time coming back on. So I left it in Illinois when I moved out of the dorms