Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Does anybody know anything about the KeyBoard they're touting to use with GarageBand?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9095LL/A

I went to M-Audio's site to see if I could find the manual for it but it doesn't seem to exist. A google search didn't seem to bring up to much either. I'm thinking about getting this keyboard to play around with GarageBand but I'd like to know more about it.

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
I'm thinking about getting it also. It looks like it is a model made special for Apple. The Keystation 49 is only a MIDI keyboard, this is a USB one, for less money! Although it looks like it may have less features than the one picture on the M-Audio site.

I guess I'll have to be a guinea pig. That is, if the UK Apple store gets them in stock, and can properly ship them within the next six-months. (You'll have to read other threads about the UK store to know what I mean)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It appears to have a Midi out jack (not that I have any clue what Midi is really for anyhow)... maybe I'll e-mail M-audio and see if they have a manual handy I can download... sometimes it's easiest to get a feel for the features by reading the manual.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I received the following response from M-Audio regarding the keyboard:

-------------------------------------

This product has not been officially released on the market, which is why we
haven't mentioned it on the site. It should be on our site soon, but in the
meantime Apple has a complete description on theirs. We should have more
info in a couple weeks after the NAMM show.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. the technology is over 20 years old but still alive and kicking. most basically MIDI is data that triggers notes in a synth, sampler, or other module. so basically you will be playing notes on a keyboard and the data is sent down your USB cable and triggers the notes in the synth. a few years ago you would have had to buy a MIDI to USB interface to get MIDI in and out of your machine but now most of them have it built in so you can just use a sinlge USB cable directly from the kb to the puter. you guys might want to have a look at the Oxygen 8 also from M-Audio. it's nice and tiny. the keystation 49 isnt a special edition for apple or anything. just gonna sell it in their store.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I'm interested in this thing, too. I already have a keyboard in my house. However, if it's just as expensive to buy a MIDI-USB adapter, I might just get the new keyboard.

Maybe some of you can help. Here's what I want/need. I'd like to have a keyboard and mic setup with my Mac. So, assuming I stick with the keyboard I already have, do I just need a MIDI-USB adapter, a MIDI cable, a microphone, and a mic cable to run from the mic to the MIDI-USB adapter? Is that it?

I'm new to MIDI stuff and computer-generated music but I want to learn more. Sounds interesting.

Squire

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
Received my 49e!

Surprisingly enough, my Keystation 49e and iLife came today, and are waiting at my house for me to come play with tonight! I'll be sure to take pics and provide feedback.

Apple UK has surprised me! The latest Store status said it would ship in mid Feb. I wonder if anyone in the States has gotten the 49e yet?

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Alternate M-audio keyboard

I bought the M-audio Radium61 for $200 from Guitar Store. This has more slider controls and more notes/keys than the version Apple sells. The R61 worked great with GB technically. However, in my opinion, the key action was a bit insensitive musically. They R61 is better at registering loud than soft notes. It was just a bit cheap, like an older Casio keyboard action... I'm looking for perhaps a weighted controller instead. However, I'm a piano player, so probably I am overly picky...
I also recorded multitracks of my live instruments using my iMac's built-in mic. You know what? The results were great. Very good audio quality.
GB is as fun as iMovie and iPhoto.

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
My first impressions are great. Granted, I am not a professional musician. This keyboard is exactly what I need to make songs with Garageband.

There is a disk of included apps, but after a few minutes of playing with the apps, I am running back to Garageband with joy!
The apps:
Arkaos VJ Lite
D-Sound RTPlay Express
LinPlug Free Alpha
Propellerheads Reason Demo

There is an Advanced Functions Button on the keyboard that lets you program several setting related to MIDI.

Let me know if anyone has questions.

Attachments

• img_1021-1.jpg
    img_1021-1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 469

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Alternate M-audio keyboard

Originally posted by 512ke

I also recorded multitracks of my live instruments using my iMac's built-in mic. You know what? The results were great. Very good audio quality.

That is, perhaps, the best news I've heard yet regarding GarageBand. I know that, eventually, I'll have to get an M-box and mic if I want good results but I just don't have the cash now.

Excellent, excellent news.

Squire

<edit: Can the mic in an iSight be used for recording to GarageBand?>

jeffchr

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2004
Keystation physical dimensions?

erik1975,

can you tell me the exact physical dimensions of the keyboard? i can only find the size of the box. height is most critical for me: i want to put it on a slide-out tray that only has 2 5/16" clearance. if it's taller than that, it won't fit.

thx!

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
Re: Keystation physical dimensions?

Originally posted by jeffchr
erik1975,

can you tell me the exact physical dimensions of the keyboard? i can only find the size of the box. height is most critical for me: i want to put it on a slide-out tray that only has 2 5/16" clearance. if it's taller than that, it won't fit.

thx!

Sorry dude, I don't think that will fit. The white keys alone are 2.75". From line of sight estimates the black keys/rear deck are 3-3.2".

The width is approx 32", with the depth of approx 8.5".

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.