PDA

View Full Version : Trash issues EMERGENCY!!URgent!

theironist08
Aug 11, 2008, 03:27 PM
ok so i seem to have somehow put alot of my applications like imovie giigle earth etc into the trash i dont know how... now there is a window open saying "preparing to empty the trash... items to delete 13930"! it seems to be frozen though.. i do not want to delete all these .. what should i do.. i cant force quit or anything.. ???

emt1
Aug 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hold down the power button to shut down the computer

Xander562
Aug 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
I hope you have Time Machine running..... Otherwise i think you're going to have to reinstall everything (as far as i know). Don't worry you should be able to get all the programs that came with your mac off the included install discs. It'll just be a pain in the ass. Doesn't it warn you about things like this?

http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/picture2f16f8.jpg

theironist08
Aug 11, 2008, 03:44 PM
phewww,,, yeah i just didnt realize that a file which contains all those apps was in ther.. i shut down and was able to extract it.. but heres the deal...

whenever i download an app like google earth , pwnage tool etc. u get those icons all on your desktop which is unnecessary as theyre all in your springboard.. so i put them all in this file "random" i created to clear up desktop.. what should i do with them ..????

Insulin Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 04:35 PM
whenever i download an app like google earth , pwnage tool etc. u get those icons all on your desktop which is unnecessary as theyre all in your springboard.. so i put them all in this file "random" i created to clear up desktop.. what should i do with them ..????

What you're supposed to do is copy the application (or the folder containing the application and any other vital files, where there are any) into your application folder, and eject the rest. There'll still be the original DMG file (the one you downloaded), or a ZIP file, which you can delete at your leasure, unless you want to back up your download, in which case you drag it onto an external hard drive, and then delete it. At the end of an installation all you should really have is an extra application in your applications folder. There should be no need for any extra things clogging up your desktop after the installation, unless you want them to be there.
That was what you were on about, wasn't it? Forgive if I misunderstood.

theironist08
Aug 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
nope thats great cheers for your help