Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
is it safe to index large amounts of files? I have a folder of 34,971 files (all graphics). I want to index this folder, but I heard that there was some bug where you could lose all data or something if crashes.

I'm running 10.3.2

One more thing, is journaling safe? does it slow down finder operations?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
indexing pictures would be pointless, indexing just allows you to conduct in-text searches of text/richtext/pdf files from the "file>find" command. i think the data loss you're talking about was a bug in filevault, not content indexing. journaling is safe, safer than non journaling actually. i used journaling in 10.2 and 10.3 on a 5400 and a 7200 drive and saw no slow downs anywhere. 10.3 turns journaling on by default, so it's probably already enabled.

movabi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
I'm just thought that it might speed the finder up.... It takes my folder of images 3-4 of finder beachball to list contents of that directory. Will indexing speed that up?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MacFan26
sorry, but what exactly is journaling?

Journaling, on Mac OS X, is a process whereby the structure of disk volumes and folders' changes are recorded. This allows a much quicker rebuild to the last safe point of change (deletions/additions).

There is no file content journaling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.