PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook user, couple of UI / Trackpad questions

SpaceButler
Aug 12, 2008, 10:22 AM
I just got a new MacBook and like it a lot, but I can't quite get used to the trackpad. I turned up the sensitivity and it's better for scrolling now, but the tap to click seems to require a lot more contact than I'm used to. Is there any way to turn this up so I can click more quickly?

Also, with an application that's not minimized but behind another window, such as say Mail is there a way to jump between different open client windows without going through the f3 show all applications running button? Maybe something which I could use somewhat like the task bar in windows to bring a document to the front? Thanks a lot!!

Drumjim85
Aug 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
apple + Tab
Will switch between programs.

fstfrwrd
Aug 12, 2008, 11:15 AM
First of all, congratulations with your purchase! ;)

I just got a new MacBook and like it a lot, but I can't quite get used to the trackpad. I turned up the sensitivity and it's better for scrolling now, but the tap to click seems to require a lot more contact than I'm used to. Is there any way to turn this up so I can click more quickly?

I don't think you can adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad for clicking.
But I'm not experiencing this on my MacBook. It's very sensitive to taps, so it doesn't require a lot of contact like you said.
Make sure you are tapping the trackpad itself and not the button below the trackpad.

Also, with an application that's not minimized but behind another window, such as say Mail is there a way to jump between different open client windows without going through the f3 show all applications running button? Maybe something which I could use somewhat like the task bar in windows to bring a document to the front? Thanks a lot!!

Just click the icon in the dock. That should bring the window right up to the front.

SpaceButler
Aug 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll just get used to the trackpad, but there's nothing say to switch the focus to a particular email window or word document, but I have to go to the program level and then look through all of the open windows for that?

fstfrwrd
Aug 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I'll just get used to the trackpad, but there's nothing say to switch the focus to a particular email window or word document, but I have to go to the program level and then look through all of the open windows for that?

Well, there's Exposť, but I'm guessing you know about that already.
You can use Exposť to show all open windows or just the windows of a particular app.

Then there's clicking an icon in the dock to show the app's window.

If you want to use some quick keyboard shortkeys, you might wanna check out this app called QuickSilver (http://quicksilver.en.softonic.com/mac).

Other than that, I don't think there are any ways of doing this ...
Hope this helped.