Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Are you looking for true altitude or pressure altitude? The reason I ask is because I don't think that the iPhone has a way of getting pressure altitude. True altitude may be possible with the GPS but it would most likely result in an error of plus or minus 10ft or more. I don't know if any Apps exist or not but I would take a look at a few of the aviation Apps.

coolguykris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I guess I mean true altitude. I climb always take a vacation to CO in Sept to climb some mountains and I want to be able to use it to see how high I am above sea level.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

True altitude can be acquired from GPS information but it has about 1 order of maginitude (on average) less accuracy than the horizontal accuracy. (i.e. If your horizontal accuracy is plus or minus 5ft your vertical accuracy could be plus or minus 50ft.) All that being said, I would reccomend checking the aviation apps. They may have something. It all depends on if the core location part of the SDK allows you to acquire the vertical information from the sattelites. Hope this helps.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Well, it'll never be that accurate as the iphone does not have any static vent system to measure altitude. The only way would be to have someone program the different altitudes at the location and use the iPhone GPS to retrieve that data. That's my take on this.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
The "Locate Me" demo on the developer site gives you altitude if you're in the dev program. So a simple altitude app would be extremely trivial for someone to make. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.