Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
working on a program from Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X Third Edition
by Aaron Hillegass. i am on, i believe the third program from the book. One thing i find confusing is that the second program, I think it is called lottery, created an executable that prints numbers at certain indexes:
Code:
The number at index 0 is 0
The number at index 1 is 3 
... etc.
I have the files for the book in my Home directory in a folder called Development.
In the Development folder i have two folders, guiprograms and a folder called toolprograms. The first lottery program i put in the toolprograms folder. and i now have an executable file within a folder called lottery which is in the toolprograms folder. In the book it talks about: "In the toolbar, you will see a pop-up for the Active Build Configuration. There are two choices: Debug and Release. While working on your application, you will always want to be in Debug. ..."
the book goes on to say that if you want your program to be universal use a Release Build. I built and ran the program before i could find the debug in the toolbar that the book was talking about. So i had two executables, one in a release folder and one in a debug folder. When i started working on the third program, when i went to build and run the program i got an error message:
my x-code window says, symbol(s) not found. And it seems like the second program lottery's debug executable is gone. Some questions i have are:
does my executable have a file extension?
does the author want the second lottery program to be an extension of the first program? like in the book we just edited lottery.m adding some to the file and deleting some from the file.
If i alter a file in x-code is the executable stay the same?
One thing i did was go into terminal and compile the program from the command line and it compiled. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
one thing i thought about doing was throw out all the files, and rewrite them.
I am a little confused on the directory structure, like in the book they show a screenshot of typing the name of a file called LotteryEntry.m
under location they have ~/Documents/Projects/Cocoa/lottery
is the last entry in the path a name of a file or a directory?
again any help would be appreciated.
question is there a way in x-code to see where this error is
or do to the nature of the error is this not possible in this example.
There is other stuff written in the error from x-code.

tedsmith3rd

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
US
working on a program from Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X Third Edition by Aaron Hillegass. [...] Some questions i have are: does my executable have a file extension?

The executable won't, but your application bundle will have ".app"

does the author want the second lottery program to be an extension of the first program? like in the book we just edited lottery.m adding some to the file and deleting some from the file.

If I remember correctly, you're making a change to the existing program to improve it. So you're updating the code, not basing a new program on the old one.

If i alter a file in x-code is the executable stay the same? One thing i did was go into terminal and compile the program from the command line and it compiled. What am i doing wrong?

I don't understand the situation you are asking about. You changed a source file, hit "Build & Go," saved your changes, and the application didn't change?

i thought about doing was throw out all the files, and rewrite them.

Might be a good idea if you can't get it sorted out. Generally, when you create a cocoa application project in XCode you have something like this:
YourProjectName/build/Debug - The compiled app goes here when you are using the debug build configuration
YourProjectName/build/Release - The compiled app goes here when you are using this release build configuration
YourProjectName/build/YourProjectName.build/ - Generally you can ignore everything in here
YourProjectName/English.lproj
YourProjectName/Info.plist
YourProjectName/main.m (and other source files)
YourProjectName/YourProjectName.xcodeproj

I am a little confused on the directory structure, like in the book they show a screenshot of typing the name of a file called LotteryEntry.m under location they have ~/Documents/Projects/Cocoa/lottery is the last entry in the path a name of a file or a directory?

A directory. Your project folder is called "lottery" and it is inside you home folder, inside the Documents folder, inside the Projects folder, inside the Cocoa folder.

question is there a way in x-code to see where this error is or do to the nature of the error is this not possible in this example. There is other stuff written in the error from x-code.

For build errors, in XCode open the "Build" menu and select "Build Results." For run errors, open the "Run" menu and select "Console"

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I don't understand the situation you are asking about. You changed a source file, hit "Build & Go," saved your changes, and the application didn't change?

i opened terminal and compiled the program from the command line. and it compiled without any errors. but in xcode i was getting an error like symbols not found. One of my question is when working on a project, if you change it, the executable that you had is deleted, and a new executable is created, unless you choose a new project, is that correct?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
i opened terminal and compiled the program from the command line. and it compiled without any errors. but in xcode i was getting an error like symbols not found. One of my question is when working on a project, if you change it, the executable that you had is deleted, and a new executable is created, unless you choose a new project, is that correct?

It is not deleted, but it is out of date so will need to be recompiled when you next run the application from within Xcode.

LoveMyMac2004

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Myrtle Beach, SC
Hi all,

I am now going through the same book and I have had a few problems as well. On the third program I had a problem with warnings saying that the object did not exist or object may not respond to message x. I cured that by doing a "Clean All" then build and run the app. That worked well (except for the undocumented part about using objective-c 2.0 features which is only available on 10.5 and I am using 10.4). If you still have problems see my post in:
Mac Forums > Apple Software > Mac Programming > Using objects in a for loop gives an error at compile

Hope this helps someone else as it did myself.

-Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.