Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
I was looking in the Apple online store and noticed they pulled MobileMe and when you click on MobileMe it just offers a free trial?

HTrig

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
interesting although if you do go to the mobile me page and find the free trial it does say that it is a paid service only after the free trial. implying that by getting the free trial you are getting the option to purchase the service.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
interesting although if you do go to the mobile me page and find the free trial it does say that it is a paid service only after the free trial. implying that by getting the free trial you are getting the option to purchase the service.

But that still does not explain why they pulled it from "new to the store" and from the front page!

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Maybe they have decided to stop selling the boxed product anymore and to handle all sign-ups and renewals online.

That still does not explain why they pulled it off the site..... If they were going to do that they would not stop advertising it?

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Chatted with one of those people in the "Chat Now" help thing of the Apple Store and this is what I got:

My responses are in bold.
You are chatting with Cheryl, an Apple Expert
Hi, my name is Cheryl. Welcome to Apple!
Good afternoon.
Hi Cheryl, I was looking at buying a MobileMe subscription today on the Apple Online Store and it looks like its not available for purchase?
We do have this.
Let me get this for you.
Okay
One moment while I research that for you.

There was about a 10 minute wait...... :rolleyes:

I am still searching for this.
Are you also purchasing a computer?
No, I bought a MacbookPro about two weeks ago.
Thanks.

For such an available product it sure is taking 'Cheryl' an awfully long time to find this for me to purchase.

Mobile me please click here
Why is it so hard to find from the apple store page?
I do not know, I can usually put in and there it is.
Yeah, I typed it in the search for the store both "MobileMe
and "Mobile Me" with a space
and yielded zero results

strange
I agree.
Alright, well thanks for your help!
Would you like me to add the single or family pack to your cart?
You're welcome.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is very strange.

Apple doesn't usually keep these different stores in sync (a little ironic!) and as such this seems to be a strange move. The UK store is often different to the US one (but not with this).

I guess they might be working towards making the packaging more like an iTunes Gift Card or something where it's just the code and little fuss.

The other possibility is that they feel it's a bit pointless having the box up on the Apple Store when you could just sign up online instead (people who buy the box in a retail store would obviously be unaffected by that). Of course there are a few reasons that you might want to get it from the Apple Store VS signing up by credit card.

FilterFeeder

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Can I state the obvious here? MobileMe was not ready, they're struggling to cope, and are trying to decrease new sign-ups until they have caught up with the backlog

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
It's easy to find, just go to the software section, and choose Apple software. It's halfway down the page. This is in the US store.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.