Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrstroud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I hope this is in the right forum, if not, my apologies.

I've been coding PHP for a while now and know C++ and javascript fairly well. I'd love to jump into the iPhone scene, but know nothing of cocoa programming. Although I would be starting from scratch with cocoa, I feel like once you know a couple languages it wouldn't be too rough to pick up another. Does anyone have any advice or a similar background? Should I just jump in and start or do I need to read a book or two before I start?

Thanks guys.

-Will

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I hope this is in the right forum, if not, my apologies.

I've been coding PHP for a while now and know C++ and javascript fairly well. I'd love to jump into the iPhone scene, but know nothing of cocoa programming. Although I would be starting from scratch with cocoa, I feel like once you know a couple languages it wouldn't be too rough to pick up another. Does anyone have any advice or a similar background? Should I just jump in and start or do I need to read a book or two before I start?

Thanks guys.

-Will

You have a better chance of applying C++ to iPhone development then PHP. Since Objective-C is a superset of C as is C++.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
It's actually the case the more languages you know the easier it is to pick up a new one. I picked up Objective-C/Cocoa in about a week. All programming languages are similar but the syntax of PHP and Objective-C are pretty different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.