Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Hi everybody,

can anyone give me an introduction how make a network with a windows pc ?

I have 10.3.2 and I tried several ways:

1. Pulldownmenue "Go To" -> "connecting with server"... I tiped the IP in and it didn´t work

2. I opened a finder window and clicked on network. I found the pc, tried to connect and it kicked me somehow. After that i didn´t find the pc again BUT the pc found me (lol?). I made a new userprofile (or account (i´ve got the german version of panther)), with name and pass. The pc user could log in with his account and move files to the folder "public".

U c, somehow it works, but how is the BEST ultimative way ?
I know windows networks where u can share folders, is this possible on a mac too and if yes, how ?

I hope u can help me. It´s really buggin me...

Dave out.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
To mount a Windows share from OS X you enter the address to the PC in this format.
Code:
smb://PC.IP.Address/WindowsShareName
Then authenticate using the credentials of your account you have setup on the Windows box.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Make sure both machines are on the same subnet mask.

ex. 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0

If the Mac is on the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask then the PC must be on that subnet mask it else it won't work.

The easiest way to do this is to make sure both computers have similar IP addresses.

Mac: 192.168.100.2
PC: 192.168.100.3

Also make sure Windows File Sharing is on in the Sharing System Preference in Mac OS X. I would also have a shared folder on PC. I don't believe you can just connect to the PC...you have to connect to the PC and also to a shared folder.

ex:

smb://ibm_pc/mydocuments$

or

smb://192.168.100.3/mydocuments$

You don't have to share the My Documents folder...you can share any folder you wish. You can even share the whole C drive if you want (be careful doing that though!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.