PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card upgrade for Powermac G5

Rmafive
Aug 13, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have a powermac G5, dual 2.5 ghz from 2004. I was wondering what the best graphics card upgrades are. I currently have an nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra, but I really want something with more vram. What do you suggest! :)

Firefly2002
Aug 13, 2008, 01:38 PM
A 6800's pretty god. A 7800 I believe is almost twice as fast, and it's the absolute best you an get for an AGP-based Mac. You might get a 7800/7900 GS or GT from ebay or something... but they're fairly expensive (I think you'd have to flash the 7900 since they're PC-only).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You have 256 MB VRAM right?

Are you sure you need more? More VRAM doesn't help unless you're running out.

Rmafive
Aug 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
I do have 256 vram, but what do you mean by "running out"? All I want is a speed increase, because my games have been running slow lately! Also, is there a way to increase the vram, or am I completely clueless when it comes to graphics! :)

Eric5h5
Aug 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
I do have 256 vram, but what do you mean by "running out"? All I want is a speed increase, because my games have been running slow lately! Also, is there a way to increase the vram, or am I completely clueless when it comes to graphics! :)

Yes, I'm afraid so. ;) Anyway, increasing VRAM won't make your games go faster. Any game that would benefit from having more than 256MB of VRAM is going to be quite recent and won't run on a G5 anyway. The only way to get a faster graphics card is to get ahold of a flashed 7800 somehow.

--Eric