Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
"NiceMac is currently developing StarPlayr for the iPhone, an application that will allow XM/Sirius satellite radio on the iPhone without any hacking.

StarPlayr is currently available for Mac OS X and does a phenomenal job of streaming Sirius satellite radio. NiceMac aims to bring that same experience to the iPhone with StarPlayr for iPhone. The application is currently in the alpha stage, which translates to "still under development". The screenshots provide a good idea of what satellite radio owners can expect."

Screenshots can be found here:

http://www.everythingicafe.com/news...us-xm-player-coming-to-app-store-20080813870/

Wolf103FM

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2006
Huntsville AL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

looks like it's the Sirius side only so far. :(

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
the company is now called xm/Sirius - so he wasnt nessecarily refering to BOTH XM and Sirius radio, but xm/sirius the company - which happened a few weeks ago with the merger of the two .. I am DYING for this to come out so i can listed to howard while i am at my desk.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
This would be AWESOME. Unfortunately, I only have an iPod touch. I always thought the idea of those Stilleto players was cool, but, if I could listen to Howard Stern on the go when I got my iPhone, that would be ****ing awesome! :D

slidetounlock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Actually they have been working on this for a while with Dave from Geekstoolbox, whom has an awesome WM version available. Either way I believe he is teamed with NiceMac and they are offering a stream smart service of some sort for more than just sirius/xm

Furthermore, Sirius and XM although merged, they dont share each others content yet, to the person above, so maybe at this pointit is only a Sirius application, as the compaies haven't merged channels yet!

But check out dave at geekstoolbox, I have spoke with him a few times, a great guy!

slidetounlock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I've unfortunately never seen or used a Stilleto. They're pretty expensive. Have you used one? Are they good? I just like the idea of being able to listen to my Sirius in places other than my room and my car.

I had a Stilleto, and they're relatively expensive and only work via wifi, the antenna is horrible, I had it for a month before it became a fixture in my car, and have since been using ORB to stream my sirius channels via Usirius some sirius station (Howard and NFL) i cant live without.

I'd give it a c- grade, cool, but still limited where you can listen as it is a wifi connection, and like I said the antenna, it is just weird. Wait for this or use ORB for now, until Dave from Geekstoolbox or NiceMac get this out there....

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
the new stilettos do not need wifi anymore. I work like an portable radio player. They also have dropped in price drastically if you buy through Sirius and add a subscription, which you would have to anyways. Either way, they are cool, but not nessecary if. You have an iphone. Even now, we had one for two weeks and returned it because we don't walk slot, and that's the only timeto really use it

MrSoprano

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
This is excellent news!!! As i just bought a new nissan car that came with XM and I am missing my Sirius like crazy!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Do you need an account for this to work or is it free?

You so need an account. I currently have three XM accounts but I really only use one and that is in my car. I've been thinking of canceling the other two because I haven't used them in months and I don't really like Sirius and they will be controlling the programming now since the merger was approved.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
you absolutely need an active subscription. You cant get sirius without it.. the thing is, even though they have an internet player, it is all flash, so you can play it through your iphone.. also, the iphone app for sirius seems to be awesome as far as the UI and organization.

I also have to say, sirius is WAY better than XM, but i am glad that they merged.. Its a good thing.

slidetounlock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
the new stilettos do not need wifi anymore. I work like an portable radio player. They also have dropped in price drastically if you buy through Sirius and add a subscription, which you would have to anyways. Either way, they are cool, but not nessecary if. You have an iphone. Even now, we had one for two weeks and returned it because we don't walk slot, and that's the only timeto really use it

So the second stilleto changed that much??? wow, didnt know that....I guess it is like the XM Inno huh?

Very cool, thanks fo rthe heads up

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yea, the newest stiletto is AWESOME .. and its cheaper if you go through sirius - like i said.

Its a good deal if you dont have an iphone.. but with an iphone, there is no reason to buy one. I bought it before i knew that there was going to be a perfect sirius app, so i used it for a little while and returned it.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
the company is now called xm/Sirius - so he wasnt nessecarily refering to BOTH XM and Sirius radio, but xm/sirius the company - which happened a few weeks ago with the merger of the two .

Yes the title refers to the company of "Sirius XM" not Sirius & XM as separate services.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
because most people dont have a PORTABLE sirius device (ie:stiletto) and if they do, they are now required to have a second subscription for each device.. this allows you to use your SINGLE subscription on now two devices (or more if you have more than one iphone in the family.)

its a GREAT thing for people who are subscribers, and this app is my MOST awaited app. i check all the time for it.. CAN NOT WAIT>

slidetounlock

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Then what's the point?

If you already have a Sirius Radio with an active account, why would you want to pay for an app to do the same thing?

I dont think you'll pay for the app, maybe $4 at most according to Dave at Geekstoolbox, but when you buy a new radio, wouldnt you pay for that? I mean the app turns the iphone into a portable anywhere unit, i'd pay fo rthat in a heart beat, so I just dont have it in my car home and office online. to me I'd pay $50 for the app, but NiceMac and Dave say they arent interested in charging but getting the app to those who need it.

I dont know, to me having the ability to listen wherever cellular data can be picked up to listen sounds sweet to me.....but that me, obviously it's not up your alley...cheers to those who get the app, it's like getting an entirley new unit, that has all iphone capabilites and sirius radio, cant beat that in my book.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i spoke with them via PM and I also would be MROE than willing to pay upwards of $20 for an app like this.. And this is because i HAVE a subscription and i know how much use it would be.. you other satellite radio users just wouldnt understand :)

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Fantastic

This is exactly what I have been waiting for! Any release date set yet? I have the Stiletto 2 but I will sell it and use the iPhone!

Charlie C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.