PDA

View Full Version : Power Macintosh: Bus Speeds

MacBytes
Jan 8, 2004, 02:17 PM
Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Power Macintosh: Bus Speeds (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040108151718)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 8, 2004, 02:21 PM
I wonder why they didnt include the G5's bus speed? i guess it would have really made all those G4s look really bad.

Frohickey
Jan 8, 2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I wonder why they didnt include the G5's bus speed? i guess it would have really made all those G4s look really bad.

No, its because that document was last updated on Feb 2003.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 8, 2004, 02:54 PM
But its a bit of an eye opener - nothing over 167 MHz..... scary to think what would have happened if the G5 hadn't come along....:(

D

Frohickey
Jan 8, 2004, 03:50 PM
...but the G5 did come along

bousozoku
Jan 8, 2004, 04:57 PM
The only above average bus speed in the whole document was the original Wallstreet PowerBook G3 series. The upper two models had 83 MHz bus speeds--a first for a laptop computer. That only lasted about 6 months when they went to a more conventional (read cheaper) 66 MHz and upped the backside cache.

killmoms
Jan 9, 2004, 09:31 AM
The G5's bus speed wouldn't look THAT ridiculous compared to the other ones. Unlike all the marketing tripe, the bus speed on the G5 isn't physically 1GHz. It's AT MOST 500MHz double-pumped, but even that is FAR ahead of any other computer anywhere. Most likely it's a 250MHz front side bus, that with dual-channel DDR (which theoretically should quadruple effective speed) can be referred to as 1GHz (quad-pumped). Much like the Pentium 4 boards that ran RDRAM at the beginning of its reign didn't REALLY have 400MHz front side buses; they were merely 100MHz FSB's that were quad-pumped, and creative marketing allowed them to get away with calling it 400MHz.

--Cless

Frohickey
Jan 9, 2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Cless
The G5's bus speed wouldn't look THAT ridiculous compared to the other ones. Unlike all the marketing tripe, the bus speed on the G5 isn't physically 1GHz. It's AT MOST 500MHz double-pumped, but even that is FAR ahead of any other computer anywhere. Most likely it's a 250MHz front side bus, that with dual-channel DDR (which theoretically should quadruple effective speed) can be referred to as 1GHz (quad-pumped). Much like the Pentium 4 boards that ran RDRAM at the beginning of its reign didn't REALLY have 400MHz front side buses; they were merely 100MHz FSB's that were quad-pumped, and creative marketing allowed them to get away with calling it 400MHz.

--Cless

I take it you have stuck a scope on the G5 bus to verify your statement? ;)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 9, 2004, 02:49 PM
smoke and mirrors say what you want cless but the G5 can move data through the bus at 1ghz, it doesnt matter how its done the fact is its being done. now look at those G4's. so G5's are 800, 900 1000
G4's 133 & 167 how long have they been that way? anyway you look at it G4 is dated. good for a portable but when selling desktop computers its almost obsolete. G5's bus is 6 times that of a G4.

MacsRgr8
Jan 10, 2004, 02:15 PM
Mojave G3 FSB will fit in between nicely, though. :)

Maybe still in line for a cheap iMac or eMac? (must NOT be marketed as G3 ofcourse.. that sounds so old)