Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I didn't see a header file, so I have no idea what methods are available. I ran strings over the paswordgen file, and it looks like there're some methods like createpassword::: and createpasswordarraytable: and countstring: but I don't know what their return types are, or their argument types. It also appears to define a class called passwordgen, but without a .h file the compiler doesn't know about it.

Not that many people would be looking, but you may want to build outside of your home directory, as this file also contained your build path, which included your username. Probably not a huge security risk, but probably something you don't want to share.

-Lee

P.S. In normaltable.txt d and e are on the same line. That doesn't seem intentional.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
it is a framework that you need to put into your Xcode 3.1, then it will work correctly
and i corrected all that and thanks for that heads up

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I did so (though I'm using an earlier version of XCode), but what I have is enough to link against (essentially a library), but not compile against as there are no headers. I can only assume there is at least one header file that you are including when you use this framework. If not, I may have a large gap in understanding.

-Lee

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
yes i have included one header and one main, it is writen in cocoa and works fine in my Xcode, i don't know what to tell you, and i am not releasing the source code
but here is the header
Code:
//
//  passwordgen.h
//  fortepassgen
//
//  Created by John Forte on 8/11/08.
//  Copyright 2008 Engine.inc. All rights reserved.
//

#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>

@interface passwordgen{
	NSString *firstname;
	NSMutableArray *normaltable;
	NSURL *file;
}
-(void)countstring:(NSString*)name;
-(NSString*)createpassword:(NSString*)name:(int)age:(int)length_of_password;
-(void)createpasswordmaptable:(NSURL*)file;
@end

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Just so you know, credibility of cryptography algorithms is gained by everything being open...

Want to know how Triple DES works, or Blowfish, or Rijndael? Just use google.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Once I had the header, I still couldn't link against the framework, so I'm guessing it's compiled against 10.5. I'm on 10.4 so it's a no go.

Is this system supposed to just generate a password for you? Or is it generating a password/passphrase that is to be used to decrypt something? From the methods available it seemed to just be generating passwords, which doesn't involve cryptography/encryption at all which may have led to some of the confusion in the previous thread.

-Lee

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
Then you're violating the GPL, which is what you've listed the framework as being on your download page.
that can't be changed from the page, it is always listed as GPL but that isn't the rule that i am following

Once I had the header, I still couldn't link against the framework, so I'm guessing it's compiled against 10.5. I'm on 10.4 so it's a no go.

Is this system supposed to just generate a password for you? Or is it generating a password/passphrase that is to be used to decrypt something? From the methods available it seemed to just be generating passwords, which doesn't involve cryptography/encryption at all which may have led to some of the confusion in the previous thread.

-Lee

i can't compile as 10.4 it would let me, because i am on 10.5.4

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
that can't be changed from the page, it is always listed as GPL but that isn't the rule that i am following

Then you need to remove the bit about agreeing to the license by downloading the framework, and putting an appropriate license agreement in with the framework.

Then again this is all worthless posturing because nobody in their right mind trusts a crypto framework that they can't see the source and verify.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
You just have to change the project SDK to the 10.4 SDK.
i did do that and it says it can't compile to the 10.4 SDK

Then you need to remove the bit about agreeing to the license by downloading the framework, and putting an appropriate license agreement in with the framework.

Then again this is all worthless posturing because nobody in their right mind trusts a crypto framework that they can't see the source and verify.

I can't remove the GPL becuase i am using Joomla and a plugin to make a download section, while i am creating my new web site

Also i have been ask by some apps to actually use my new crypto framework, so people don't care if they can see the source code.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
i did do that and it says it can't compile to the 10.4 SDK

For the few functions that are implemented, I can't imagine it would be that hard to remove the use of fast enumeration, properties, etc. to make it Objective-C 1.0. Otherwise, the only issue would be the use of new Cocoa methods, but again I can't imagine there are that many. It really isn't here nor there, as I was just going to take a look with a purely academic interest, I had no intent to use it.

Also i have been ask by some apps to actually use my new crypto framework, so people don't care if they can see the source code.

Then they don't care about it actually being secure, being free of backdoors, the possibility of you shipping what is being encrypted to the pentagon, kremlin, etc. If they don't care about those things, they don't care about actually transmitting something securely, so they shouldn't bother with encrypting it in the first place.

-Lee

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
For the few functions that are implemented, I can't imagine it would be that hard to remove the use of fast enumeration, properties, etc. to make it Objective-C 1.0. Otherwise, the only issue would be the use of new Cocoa methods, but again I can't imagine there are that many. It really isn't here nor there, as I was just going to take a look with a purely academic interest, I had no intent to use it.
it is written in new cocoa and has some python methods included
Then they don't care about it actually being secure, being free of backdoors, the possibility of you shipping what is being encrypted to the pentagon, kremlin, etc. If they don't care about those things, they don't care about actually transmitting something securely, so they shouldn't bother with encrypting it in the first place.

-Lee

this isn't encryption, it is a password generator and the methods to make that password can be used to encrypt a message or a file, my program doesn't do that

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
this isn't encryption, it is a password generator and the methods to make that password can be used to encrypt a message or a file, my program doesn't do that

Not sure I follow your logic here. Your program provides an algorithm to generate passwords, correct? These passwords are probably not that secure, in that someone could most likely work out your algorithm and generate their own passwords that an application that uses your framework would accept.

The point is there are extremely secure, freely available encryption libraries that are available under the BSD license (so can be used in commercial software) that are more than likely much more secure than anything one person on their own could write. I'm not trying to be harsh, just saying that there are already plenty of great encryption libraries available that any developer who wants security should consider first.

OpenSSL would be the place I looked first (it does general cryptography as well as SSL/TLS).

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
Not sure I follow your logic here. Your program provides an algorithm to generate passwords, correct? These passwords are probably not that secure, in that someone could most likely work out your algorithm and generate their own passwords that an application that uses your framework would accept.

The point is there are extremely secure, freely available encryption libraries that are available under the BSD license (so can be used in commercial software) that are more than likely much more secure than anything one person on their own could write. I'm not trying to be harsh, just saying that there are already plenty of great encryption libraries available that any developer who wants security should consider first.

OpenSSL would be the place I looked first (it does general cryptography as well as SSL/TLS).
you guys don't get it so i think you need to just wait until the app comes out in the next month or two, it has already got buzz and a company that i have demo it to thinks it is great

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
you guys don't get it so i think you need to just wait until the app comes out in the next month or two, it has already got buzz and a company that i have demo it to thinks it is great

I would like to know how you impressed a company with grammar and spelling skills like that. I highly doubt its as great of an app as you are leading us to believe. ESPECIALLY considering you were begging the community to write part of it the other day.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/543115/

If you can't figure out how to write a random character generator, I HIGHLY doubt this framework and app are worth anyone's time. Sorry for being harsh but someone has to pop your bubbles before you fly too far into space.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
I would like to know how you impressed a company with grammar and spelling skills like that. I highly doubt its as great of an app as you are leading us to believe. ESPECIALLY considering you were begging the community to write part of it the other day.

It's it's not its. :rolleyes:

b e n

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Hmm, I can't seem to be able to link it in a header... But probably because of the mistype of passwordgen..
Code:
#include <passworkgen/passworkgen.h>

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
Hmm, I can't seem to be able to link it in a header... But probably because of the mistype of passwordgen..
Code:
#include <passworkgen/passworkgen.h>

no that is correct, because in my app, i have another framework that is passwordgen that controls some things
passworkgen=password workings in the generator

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Grab your barf bags

actually it does have untraceable math that gets changed on every run of the app
incorrect, the upload text is actually a test for the app to compare against

my app doesn't use a random numbers, i don't want to say to much but it takes to really low numbers adds them and gets the character from the txt file, then at the end it checks it against your mac's dictionary, so this is a secure and untraceable math

Gentlemen, fire up your debuggers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.