PDA

View Full Version : More HP iPod Details...

MacRumors
Jan 8, 2004, 02:55 PM
ZDNet fills in more details (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5137473.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed) about the upcoming HP-branded iPod device.Apple will manufacture the player, which will not have the iPod name, but will have the same design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players, Phil Schiller, senior vice president at Apple, said in an interview. Also, the HP music player will come in "HP Blue," he said.According to Phil Schiller, the HP device will have an Apple logo at start up and will work with current 3rd Generation iPod accessories.

While Apple does not exclude the possibility of other company-branded iPods, the HP deal to bundle the iTunes Music Store with their PCs is reportedly a "multiyear, exclusive" deal.

Of note, there is still no official word on the capacities or price of the new HP iPod.

Over Achiever
Jan 8, 2004, 02:56 PM
Well that's interesting. And HP iPod...maybe I'll buy one!

Cost will be the same, or will it depend on HP? Because I can see HP selling it for a bit cheaper, making it more attractive to buy...

-O.A.

tofi
Jan 8, 2004, 02:57 PM
I think it will be absolete if no new feature has been added ...
if based on 3 g ipod then it would be somewhat old in summer

maybe a 200 $ 3g branded ipod

kjottbein
This is really weird. Who would want an iPod that has "HP" written all over it?

Besides, isn't iPod a strong brand? Everyone knows they are good. So why disguise it as something else?

EDIT: They should call it HiPod

mdouglas
hotdamn! way to go Apple!

sethypoo
Jan 8, 2004, 02:58 PM
I've never really liked HP, but it would be interesting to see if they end up undercutting Apple's iPod sales.

tfr
Jan 8, 2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by kjottbein
Besides, isn't iPod a strong brand? Everyone knows they are good. So why disguise it as something else?

I guess the idea came from HP here, not Apple. Dell has an "iPod clone", so HP wanted one in their line-up to keep up - there are probably a lot of people who want to get a bundle of devices from one brand, to have to deal with only one customer/tech support, etc. And HP figured out it's cheaper and better for them to rebrand iPod than to try to develop their own which probably will come out crappier than iPod.

And for Apple, it was better to sell HP their iPod and make money out of it rather than turn them down and lead them to creating a competing product.

Le Big Mac
Jan 8, 2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by tfr

And for Apple, it was better to sell HP their iPod and make money out of it rather than turn them down and lead them to creating a competing product.

Exactly. This way, Apple has a non-Apple-branded outlet for their product. I'm sure pricing has already been specified, and will be nearly identical to the iPod for the same product.

srobert
Jan 8, 2004, 03:08 PM
Any first impressions about the HP Blue? ^_^

http://homepage.mac.com/srobert/.Pictures/hpod_hpblue.jpg

Dippo
Jan 8, 2004, 03:09 PM
If HP was going to make a music player, they would have ended up making a poor copy of the iPod just like Dell.

So, it makes sense for HP to just buy some clones from Apple. Why would HP want to invest all that time and money into making another bad copy when they could just buy some clones from Apple of the best music player?

Chip NoVaMac
Originally posted by tfr
I guess the idea came from HP here, not Apple. Dell has an "iPod clone", so HP wanted one in their line-up to keep up - there are probably a lot of people who want to get a bundle of devices from one brand, to have to deal with only one customer/tech support, etc. And HP figured out it's cheaper and better for them to rebrand iPod than to try to develop their own which probably will come out crappier than iPod.

Not mention discounts and better financing at places like Best Buy. Really does open the question of price errosion on the Apple iPod....

el_aarono
I assume these HP iPods will be windows and Mac compatible...

It would be weird to see a windows only iPod now.

If it really is just a re-branding then they would have to be compatible with both, right?

sw1tcher
Jan 8, 2004, 03:11 PM

EDIT: They should call it HiPod

HP custmers, that's who. If someone was shopping for an HP pc, then the HP iPod would make a good attachment to help boost the already low gross margin on the PC up a bit since the HP iPod would have better margins.

Other potential customers would be those looking to get an MP3 player to match their HP pc. And if HP can sell them at a discount compared to Apple prices, then a lot of pc users as well.

I wonder if the HP iPod will also be mac/pc compatible. If so, I might consider one as well, if the price was right.

Dippo
Jan 8, 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by el_aarono
I assume these HP iPods will be windows and Mac compatible...

It would be weird to see a windows only iPod now.

If it really is just a re-branding then they would have to be compatible with both, right?

I am sure Apple made Mac compatability a requirement. It would be hard to convince people to switch if they had to buy a new Music Player (the iPod) when they already had an HPod.

Ransath
Jan 8, 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I've never really liked HP, but it would be interesting to see if they end up undercutting Apple's iPod sales.

Okay - a short business lesson to you folks out there that think this will somehow impact iPod sales.

First off - do you fully understand what Apple is doing here? They WILL BE selling the iPod, just with a slightly different package. Now, who do you think is actually going to manufature this player? Apple!!! NOT HP!! Apple will just be "reselling" it to HP. Apple will get the lion's share of the profit of every hPod sold. HP will get a bit of the profit, but Apple is the one that will make out.

That's what makes this such a great deal for Apple. They still control the manufacturing and the quality. They still reap the majority of the profits.

So what does HP get out of this? As we all know, most PC users are clones (bear with me). They just buy whatever the big comany is touting as their best stuff. So, if HP says - 'hey, our MP3 player is the best (which it will be)" all those clones will buy it from HP. Also, HP doesn't have to bear the cost of setting up it's own online music store. So, HP spends NOTHING on manufacturing and software costs, they earn a nice little profit on each hPod sold, they offer their customers an HP branded sloution for the digital music wants, and all they have to do is a little promotion.

That is what is called a WIN/WIN situation!!!

IJ Reilly
Jan 8, 2004, 03:13 PM
FWIW, this would not have been possible without the Microsoft antitrust case settlement -- which only goes to show, it might have been worse.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 03:14 PM
If it costs less than Apple's ipod (purely hypotheticaly) and works with itunes on my mac, I will buy one. And in response to the ipod blue pic; HP is know for making things silver and grey with semi-transparent smoked plastic. So it will probably resemble something like that

Ransath
Jan 8, 2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Dippo
I am sure Apple made Mac compatability a requirement. It would be hard to convince people to switch if they had to buy a new Music Player (the iPod) when they already had an HPod.

Don't you folks realize that ALL iPods are both Windows/Mac compatible? It just depends on how you format them!!!

Example - my gen2 iPod was a Windows iPod. I bought a new Powerbook in October, promptly reformatted my WINDOWS iPod and now I use it my Mac.

diniscorreia
Jan 8, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hmm I have mixed feelings about this.

I mean, wasn't the iPod/iTMS on Windows supposed to bring folks to the Mac world?
Besides, there will be two similar devices, one HP-branded the other Apple branded?... :confused:

Will the consumer be confused or what?

sketchy
Jan 8, 2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by sw1tcher
HP custmers, that's who. If someone was shopping for an HP pc, then the HP iPod would make a good attachment to help boost the already low gross margin on the PC up a bit since the HP iPod would have better margins.

Other potential customers would be those looking to get an MP3 player to match their HP pc. And if HP can sell them at a discount compared to Apple prices, then a lot of pc users as well.

I think HP will bundle then with a computer, possibly making the keyboard or tower dockable. With PC computer prices at low prices, HP can market a computer eith en HP iPod and charge more for it. making money from the iPod and more money from the computer.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Ransath
Don't you folks realize that ALL iPods are both Windows/Mac compatible? It just depends on how you format them!!!

Example - my gen2 iPod was a Windows iPod. I bought a new Powerbook in October, promptly reformatted my WINDOWS iPod and now I use it my Mac.

Yes, I'm sure most everyone is aware of this. But the possibility of lock-out abilities exist, although I would like to think it's something Apple would never agree to.

srobert
Jan 8, 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by blueBomber
If it costs less than Apple's ipod (purely hypotheticaly) and works with itunes on my mac, I will buy one. And in response to the ipod blue pic; HP is know for making things silver and grey with semi-transparent smoked plastic. So it will probably resemble something like that

HP CEO's SAID it would be HP BLUE himself.

mikeyredk
Jan 8, 2004, 03:20 PM
anyone know if the HPs' keynote speech from comdex is going to be broadcasted online

diniscorreia
Jan 8, 2004, 03:21 PM
Okay - a short business lesson to you folks out there that think this will somehow impact iPod sales.

First off - do you fully understand what Apple is doing here? They WILL BE selling the iPod, just with a slightly different package. Now, who do you think is actually going to manufature this player? Apple!!! NOT HP!! Apple will just be "reselling" it to HP. Apple will get the lion's share of the profit of every hPod sold. HP will get a bit of the profit, but Apple is the one that will make out.

One word: brand
Right now, iPod equals Apple. What will happen then?

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by srobert
I missed that, my mistake. Thankfully, your unecessary caps lock pointed it out.;)

Hmmmm.... I've seen some of HP's printers that are HP blue (the Deskjet 3820 comes to mind), I really don't agree with it, but since when do pc manufactures know anything about good design?

pcharles
Jan 8, 2004, 03:24 PM

I don't see how it can undercut Apple's sales because Apple is making it. They must be figuring in their little Markup, so HP is really just the reseller. Probably something like a yellow and blue Best Buy iPod, or a bright red Circuit City iPod.

I'm not much for HP computers, but their iPAQ line is great. I have an iPAQ 2215 with PocketMac and find it far more fun than the Palm. The palm is probably more practical though, mainly because it is less fun. Age of empires on the iPAQ is a great time waster!

srobert
Jan 8, 2004, 03:24 PM
I missed that, my mistake. Thankfully, your unecessary caps lock pointed it out.;)

I did put 2-3 words in lowercase to downplay the uppercase :D

And CEO does'nt count as uppercase because it has to be written that way ;)

Ransath
Jan 8, 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by diniscorreia

I have a feeling that the hPod will be "the HPod by Apple" or " the hPod, brought to you by Apple" or something along those lines.

IndyGopher
Jan 8, 2004, 03:26 PM

That's what makes this such a great deal for Apple. They still control the manufacturing and the quality. They still reap the majority of the profits.

So what does HP get out of this? As we all know, most PC users are clones (bear with me). They just buy whatever the big comany is touting as their best stuff. So, if HP says - 'hey, our MP3 player is the best (which it will be)" all those clones will buy it from HP. Also, HP doesn't have to bear the cost of setting up it's own online music store. So, HP spends NOTHING on manufacturing and software costs, they earn a nice little profit on each hPod sold, they offer their customers an HP branded sloution for the digital music wants, and all they have to do is a little promotion.

There are plenty of decaffeinated brands now that taste just as good as the caffeinated stuff...

While I think the volume knob could be cranked down a bit, this post is pretty much right on the money. I also think that saying the HP Player will be the same as the 3rd generation iPod might be a "tell"... perhaps by that time, there will be a 4th generation iPod from Apple. Either way, Apple and HP both win, which to me means that all of their users win, as well.
Someone asked who would buy an HP iPod, and another simple answer would be all those people who don't, or won't, understand that Apple iPods really do work with PC's. There are tons of people out there that simply go blind when they see an Apple logo, and deaf when they hear the name Apple. They aren't necessarily bad people, or stupid people, they are people who have been told that Apple stuff and PC stuff are not interchangable... and it was true long enough that it will be a long while before any attempts to correct that mistaken notion are effective in the mass market.
Another thing to consider, which I haven't seen mentioned, is that HP sells PC's through mass-marketers like Wal*Mart. If their version of the iPod sells through those channels as well, we REALLY have a winner.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 03:27 PM
I did put 2-3 words in lowercase to downplay the uppercase :D

And CEO does'nt count as uppercase because it hase to be written that way ;)

Fair enough. I still hope that HP gets some say in the price though, it would allow for competitive pricing in the PC market (through sales and promotions and such) on their own terms. Unfortunatly, I guessing they will be forced to adhere to Apple's set pricing like the rest of their resellers.

Jerry Spoon
Jan 8, 2004, 03:28 PM
I mean, wasn't the iPod/iTMS on Windows supposed to bring folks to the Mac world?
It still could. When people use apple hardware and software that work so well together, that's good for apple, whether HP has their name, in addition to apple's, on on the hardware or not.
A secretary at my work was fed up with her iPod until iTunes came out for Windows. Now it's her best friend. She's said several times how incredible IT and the iPod are. I don't think it would make that much of a difference if the iPod was branded with an HP logo with the Apple logo on the startup screen. She'd figure out that it was an apple product. I think most people would.
Besides, there will be two similar devices, one HP-branded the other Apple branded?... :confused:

They'll only be cosmetically different, right? So basically, the devices are the same.

ebow
Jan 8, 2004, 03:30 PM
I'm guessing that the HPod will come with the USB 2.0 cable (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72401/wo/Af1Pk18SvIXg25OrDRl1IsKkhBs/8.3.0.5.10.3.8.13.0) by default, instead of the FireWire cable. Wouldn't that make sense? Unfortunately, it would be another tiny hit against FireWire.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 03:31 PM
I can hear the PC people now:

"Apple?!?!? Are they still in business?"

Don't laugh. I've had somebody say this to me in all seriousness just in the last 2 weeks when they saw my PB

Sayhey
Jan 8, 2004, 03:34 PM
Let's see - the second largest computer company in the US (and the world if I'm not mistaken) will be aggressively pushing Apple made products and technology! How can that be bad? I wish Dell would do the same.

srobert
Jan 8, 2004, 03:35 PM
I still hope that HP gets some say in the price though, it would allow for competitive pricing in the PC market

You got a point there. I wonder how they'll market this combo. Adding an iPod raise quite a lot a bill when you add it on top of a inexpensive (cheap?) $449.99 >_$749.99 computer.

Purchasing a high capacity hPod could double the price of your low end HP computer.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2004, 03:36 PM
Everyone wave hi to the 5 Microsoft Media BU employees that happened to stop by ;)
*WAVES*

jettredmont
Jan 8, 2004, 03:37 PM

Question is, what exactly is "HP Blue"?

Like this (a blueish-tinted deep gray): http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/18972-236251-236268-15077-236268-239135-239137-239138.html

Or like this (if you click "enlarge", a totally different product shows up apparently ... I mean the deep blue/purplish color that is the main color of this package and of the bottom-right corner and HP logo of the enlarged package): http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1421261751.1073597419@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceeadckgiijkmhcfngcfkmdfondfgf.0&product_code=C6817A&cat_level=3&browse_link=true

Or will it be one of the four different shades of blue adorning logos and navigation elements of the HP site itself (just plain sloppy, IMHO) ....

I submit that there IS no such thing as "HP Blue". Or rather, that "HP Blue" means, "whatever random shade of blueishness that happens to pop out of our plastic dying process ..."

OTOH, most shades HP uses tend to be more "deep and dark" instead of "bright and vibrant" ...

diniscorreia
Jan 8, 2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
It still could. When people use apple hardware and software that work so well together, that's good for apple, whether HP has their name, in addition to apple's, on on the hardware or not.
A secretary at my work was fed up with her iPod until iTunes came out for Windows. Now it's her best friend. She's said several times how incredible IT and the iPod are. I don't think it would make that much of a difference if the iPod was branded with an HP logo with the Apple logo on the startup screen. She'd figure out that it was an apple product. I think most people would.

They'll only be cosmetically different, right? So basically, the devices are the same.

Hmmm ok... now that I really though of it..... great move, Apple! :D

srobert
Originally posted by ebow
I'm guessing that the HPod will come with the USB 2.0 cable by default, instead of the FireWire cable.

Possible. But since HP will be selling both computers and hPod, they could chose to put a Firewire card in those new multimedia PCs they're gonna come up with. Of course, this would mean that buyers of older HP computers won't be able to plug an hPod on their PC without an hardware upgrade.

Soculese
I think that the most important thing here is that it boosts the possible success of ITMS. I thkn that this is a great move for Apple, and either way they win. Since they are going to manufacture the iPod for HP, they will still be able to have an idea of how many people are buying them. Getting the software to be bundled at HP is a huge deal as from a user standpoint iTunes really is a phenom JukeBox. Since it's introduction I have not had a day go by that I have not used it in some fashion. Even though this does not sell macs for apple, it still sells iPods, as Apple will still do the manufacturing. Leave it to Jobs to turn yet another industry on it's toes. Computer Industry, Animated Film Industry(Pixar), and now the music industry. Makes you wonder what is around the corner with this company. And as far as promoting the new iPod Mini, I still think that something with Mini Cooper is just around the corner. It makes too much sense not to be. First Pods unite, now get a mini with a mini!!!

Anyway, this is a BIG deal, and maybe it will cause others to want to atleast license apples DRM for their devices so that they cvan gain more compatibility and spread the popularity of ITMS. I like this new era of tech that we are now entering!!!!.

Stan

SiliconAddict
I have a feeling that the hPod will be "the HPod by Apple" or " the hPod, brought to you by Apple" or something along those lines.

Who cares?!?! Anything that makes AAC more mainstream is "A good thing"tm There are a ton of WMA players out there. Its about time AAC starts fighting back.

pcp_ip
Jan 8, 2004, 03:40 PM

I believe it's herself. The HP CEO is Carly Fiorina.

srobert
Jan 8, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
...Or will it be one of the four different shades of blue adorning logos and navigation elements of the HP site itself (just plain sloppy, IMHO) ....

I submit that there IS no such thing as "HP Blue". Or rather, that "HP Blue" means, "whatever random shade of blueishness that happens to pop out of our plastic dying process ..."

LOL, you got a funny point there. It's strange considering that HP is also selling Hi-end Pantone calibrated (supposidly color accurate) printers.

Originally posted by pcp_ip
I believe it's herself. The HP CEO is Carly Fiorina.

Oops... my bad... but then again, one can never be sure these days ^_^

MongoTheGeek
Jan 8, 2004, 03:42 PM
I would be tempted to get one assuming interoperability because I prefer blue to white.

The big question is does this mean iTunes for VMS?

jettredmont
Jan 8, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Everyone wave hi to the 5 Microsoft Media BU employees that happened to stop by ;)
*WAVES*

I voted negative on this, for reasons stated in the origiinal post: HP and Apple should be attacking different segments of the market; HP rebranding an iPod does nothing for anybody except get Carly a vanity product.

Thus, this isn't so much a negative development as it is a non-positive development, being hyped to death.

But then, perhaps I've seen too many substance-free "partnerships" and "rebranding" efforts in my time.

Can anyone point to a single HP rebranding effort which paid off for the "other guy"? Their digital cameras? Their early scanners? Anyone?

Flowbee
Jan 8, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
I also think that saying the HP Player will be the same as the 3rd generation iPod might be a "tell"... perhaps by that time, there will be a 4th generation iPod from Apple.

This scenario seems reasonable...

HiPod:
10gb, 20gb

iPod:
15gb, 30gb, 60gb + a couple of 4th gen features and new styling to help differentiate it from the HP.

Wonder Boy
Jan 8, 2004, 03:50 PM
heres your 200$ ipod!

ITR 81
Jan 8, 2004, 03:50 PM
Look for stickers on the hPod box to say:

Apple Approved

iTunes and iTunes Music Store compatible

HP Blue:

http://www.jandr.com/images/stores/logo_brand_hp.gif

fabsgwu
Jan 8, 2004, 03:54 PM
I bet Apple will introduce an updated/changed iPod at the same time the HP model comes out. That way Apple can justify charging more, and it will give mac-heads like me an incentive to have the latest new thing--only available from Apple :)

ITR 81
Jan 8, 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
This scenario seems reasonable...

HiPod:
10gb, 20gb

iPod:
15gb, 30gb, 60gb + a couple of 4th gen features and new styling to help differentiate it from the HP.

hmm..

hPod
10GB - $249
20GB - $349

logica4d
Jan 8, 2004, 04:00 PM
I voted negative on this, for reasons stated in the origiinal post: HP and Apple should be attacking different segments of the market; HP rebranding an iPod does nothing for anybody except get Carly a vanity product.

Well they need to get music for that HP iPod. So I suppose the iTMS isn't benefiting anyone? :D

Next will be the HP iPaq running OS X embedded. Quite possible since the iPaq can and does run Linux Embedded. Darwin embedded has been in the works for some time. Just a thought. :cool:

dstorey
Jan 8, 2004, 04:02 PM
if only this was a lead yp to apple branded hp printers to match the iMac/eMac etc. printers look ugly next to something as nicely designed as a mac

x86isslow

hmm thats a thought.. i always figured mrs carly fiorina to be a lady, but if you say so!

jettredmont

Well, yes. BUT, all current (gen 3) iPods are Mac/Win without a reformat.

Besides which, to your average consumer "Just reformat it" or "Buy a new one for $300" ... the latter seems easier, and so is what they believe the cost of switching would be.

DGFan
Jan 8, 2004, 04:07 PM

Well apparently it will have the apple logo on startup. But, yeah, it would be nice if it had "iPod technology" in there somewhere.

greenstork
Jan 8, 2004, 04:07 PM
Hmm I have mixed feelings about this.

Will the consumer be confused or what?

How does different branding of the same product confuse people, I'm not following you?

The only cause for confusion I could see is that they aren't quite sure who manufactured the HP Pod. In that case, they'll buy the brand they like. Either way, Apple makes the money.

Apple is a business and they want to make money. At this point, they're much less concerned with converting people to Macs because of their cool technology (a strategy that has not served them well at all with only 3% of new computer sales). They're trying a different approach which is to corner the market, and they're making the right moves to do it.

wHo_tHe
Jan 8, 2004, 04:10 PM
HP CEO's SAID it would be HP BLUE himself. 1. HP's CEO is a woman, the remarkable Carly Fiorina.

2. She didn't say it would be HP Blue, (Apple's) Phil Schiller did.

3. Do people actually *read* anymore?

greenstork

I'm sorry, I think your point is moot. The point of building up a brand is so that people buy your products, which will be the case if they buy from HP or Apple. Apple is the manufacturer, they wouldn't destroy theirs, or HP's brand by manufacturing a lousy product. Both will have a strong brand and both will earn money for Apple.

BenRoethig
Great move. Why? This gets iPods into Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Staples, and all those other places that sell HP, but not Apple.

x86isslow
Jan 8, 2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Look for stickers on the hPod box to say:

Apple Approved

iTunes and iTunes Music Store compatible

HP Blue:

http://www.jandr.com/images/stores/logo_brand_hp.gif

or perhaps one of these http://www.quality-cameras.com/images/appleauthorizedreseller.gif

rabatjoie
Jan 8, 2004, 04:20 PM
nice! i think we have a clear case of "apple red" here - for all those who wonder what "HP blue" might be :D

mrsebastian
Jan 8, 2004, 04:23 PM
this will be a good thing, though i wonder how similar the hpod will be to the ipod?

fearless
Jan 8, 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BenRoethig
Great move. Why? This gets iPods into Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Staples, and all those other places that sell HP, but not Apple.

No matter what logo's on the case, in everyone's mind an iPod is an Apple thing. It's semi-branded mindshare and volume. And it's proof that in this market the desktop OSes and the portable OSes are going to swap and shift... btw, the iPod's OS is licensed from others, so it's not yet a complete IP triumph - but who cares. Perception matters, and both Apple and HP win big with this one if it works. And it will. In terms of encouraging switcher action? A net positive... on mindshare.

TylerL
Jan 8, 2004, 04:36 PM
A dark-blue iPod that, other than packaging could very well be identical to a regular iPod (and Mac-compatible too)?
Sign me up. :)
...all I'll need now is a sandblaster to give it a nice Apple logo :p

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2004, 04:36 PM

:rolleyes: *waves his dense-o-meter in kjottbein direction* Wow I've never seen anything register as a neutron star before. :p

elgruga
Jan 8, 2004, 04:42 PM
Lets not forget that Apple will be selling this, with the Apple logo, to HP.
HP will re-sell to their customers.
If HP sell 2 million, then thats 2 million sales for Apple.
And who knows how many iTunes sales?
How about 100 tunes per annum for each HP iPod?
Thats 200 million iTMS downloads.

Apple may become a serious music biz co.

Eventually, this could lead to very big changes in the music biz - and Apple is #1 in that place right now.

Apple is setting the standard for online music downloads, software, and players.
They are also #1 in all three areas.

And HP is smart enough to align themselves with the winning combo.

I think my original iPod just went UP in value!

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by wHo_tHe
3. Do people actually *read* anymore?

I'm starting to get the impression that no. No people don't read. Then again I had a brain fart earlier this week when I got pissed that CA is banning displays in the car. Didn't read far enough down to see that it DIDN'T apply to GPS. :o
I attrib it to going on a diet, no caffeine, zero sugar, and being generally irked that the gov is once again trying to "save" us.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 04:59 PM
give them a break. It was a minor slip up at best. I didn't remember that the CEO of HP is a woman, not because I don't read, but because I don't use HP products and do not follow their company. Unlike Apple. I can tell you the mac model by just the first nano-second of the startup sound:D

Faeylyn
Jan 8, 2004, 05:02 PM
I haven't heard anyone comment on this yet: HP said it will introduce an "entertainment hub" that will serve as a central point to store and manage digital music, photos and movies.

First, HP's music player is really just an iPod that connects to iTMS and uses AAC and Apple's DRM.

Second, HP indroduces an "entertainment hub" that, among other things, serves as a central point to store and manage digital music.

How could these two devices not be connected? How could HP get away with using something other than AAC and Apple's DRM on the "HP entertainment hub"? Answer (IMO) is that they couldn't. Prediction (IMO) is that the "HP entertainment hub" will really be a rebranded "Apple entertainment hub".

You heard it here first. Unless you didn't.

blueBomber
Jan 8, 2004, 05:06 PM
good catch, but I don't think this will be connected with Apple. Most PC manufacturers are trying to enter the "digital hub" market with these bridge devices. Besides, it will probably run on WinXp Media Center edition, and not OSX

Macmaniac
Jan 8, 2004, 05:12 PM
This is a really good thing, because if Apple only gives one model to HP then if people like it they will be encouraged to buy the higher end Apple models. This is also a great opportunity to get ITMS on a lot of windows computers, and it becomes the default player instead of M$ player.
Sounds like smart marketing to me, this may also have an added benefit in lowering prices on iPods in general.

feffer37
Jan 8, 2004, 05:15 PM
For any of you who are looking for the correct phrase, it is "bundle rebate".

This is how HP sells their monitor with the tower, by offering a rebate, since anyone with a brain knows they can buy a cheaper and better monitor instead.

HP will have a package deal you'll see in you Best Buy and CompUSA fliers. If you buy the tower, the monitor, and the hPod , (and the printer ;), you'll get, say, $300 off in rebates or something.

People will buy them in droves, because so many PC users still don't understand that they could use an iPod as well.

Apple made out like a bandit on this one.

The real question is whether or not this new arrangement with HP will get Apple to promote HP printers over Epson printers, as they've been promoting Epson for how long now?

MCCFR
Jan 8, 2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont

Thus, this isn't so much a negative development as it is a non-positive development, being hyped to death.

But then, perhaps I've seen too many substance-free "partnerships" and "rebranding" efforts in my time.

Can anyone point to a single HP rebranding effort which paid off for the "other guy"? Their digital cameras? Their early scanners? Anyone?

You are more wrong than a very wrong thing ;)

HP is global in a way in which Apple is not.

Whilst the iPod is really big in many markets, those markets do at least need a viable Macintosh market to justify an Apple-led marketing effort as local non-Apple distributors are not going to do that job.

There are a whole of markets , many of which will be developing countries, where HP will be able to reach consumers using its marketing resources.

And, because its halfway between a reseller arrangement and an OEM arrangement, HP will have to commit to a volume purchasing agreement which effectively gives Apple a guaranteed six-figure in unit shipments every quarter.

So, HP pays for the marketing, reaches the customer once, Apple gets the long-term benefit once there is a local iTMS for that end-market.

And all of this doesn't even take into account all of the Windows bigots who would never buy anything with an Apple logo front-and-centre or those who have easier access to an HP reseller than an Apple reseller.

No, this is a good thing - the trick is making it stick and not letting it be a one-off.

dukemeiser
Jan 8, 2004, 05:45 PM
Good idea: Apple makes the iPod, HP sells it under their own name.

Great idea: Apple makes computers, HP sells them under its own name. This could work, if HP wanted it to. In this way, Apple could still control the quality of its product, and increase its market share.

But this probably won't happen, since HP also sells computers. But why couldn't this happen for some other company? How about an Apple computer with a Walmart brand? Or any other brand name?

fatfish
Jan 8, 2004, 06:42 PM
Does this mean we might see an iPod (HPod) on JPM's Williams next year.

TomSmithMacEd
Jan 8, 2004, 06:44 PM

How would it? Apple still makes the iPods... So all it could do is help. I don't really understand it all, but at least there is one less competition to the iPod. Plus it will make iTunes used more. And I could see why some people would buy an HP iPod. I mean I know people who think iPods are still mac only.. If it was an HP iPod. none of that confusion.

MrMacMan
Jan 8, 2004, 07:27 PM
Okay... I have a question...

Does this product count as a HP or Apple product...

Cause that means Apple's iPod could lose market share... to its HP clone...

:eek:

Tiauguinho
Jan 8, 2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
*WAVES*

Hahahahahahah! Its the usual! Someone always has to vote negative, even when the G5's came out, there were negative ratings. I have a feeling that Gates and Michael Dell are lurking around! :D

rdowns
Jan 8, 2004, 07:41 PM

Good points. There are many people who will never buy an Apple branded product for a myriad of reasons, whether they be the Apple myths, doubts on compatibility or whatever. This is a great move for Apple. Anything that makes them more mainstream is good for them.

A WIN/WIN? Maybe a WIN/WINdows situation!

rdowns
Jan 8, 2004, 07:45 PM
And in response to the ipod blue pic; HP is know for making things silver and grey with semi-transparent smoked plastic. So it will probably resemble something like that

I believe this is considered representative of "HP blue"

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF02a/18972-236251-236268.html

Dahl
Jan 8, 2004, 08:35 PM
Keep going, Apple.
:)

jwhitnah
Jan 8, 2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Dahl
Keep going, Apple.
:)

Praise the lord, er whatever. I can not get over how big a coup this is for Apple. Other companies like napster and dell and real will make their silly knockoffs. None are compatable with Apple or each other, and therefore none can really gang up on ITMS's 70 F------- % marketshare! (YEAH BABY!!) Divided they fall! Steve: Finish them! - - Fatality. Love it.:cool:

jero
Jan 8, 2004, 09:16 PM
wow, the company i currently work for and the company i use to work for joining forces? cool.

autrefois
Jan 8, 2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman

Good question. They could just call it "iPod HP", in which case it's just another iPod, both in design and name.

(EDIT: Re-reading, I see that at least according to ZDNet it will not have the iPod name. Too bad.)

Maritan
Jan 9, 2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by fatfish
Does this mean we might see an iPod (HPod) on JPM's Williams next year.

And Ralf's car.

Another F1 fan. Praise the lord. Seen the new Williams yet? Holy crap it's different from anything seen before.

Back to the topic on hand: I really feel this is a good move. It makes many more people aware of Apple (the logo at startup) and this can only be good.

TMJ1974
Jan 9, 2004, 12:12 AM
Possible. But since HP will be selling both computers and hPod, they could chose to put a Firewire card in those new multimedia PCs they're gonna come up with.

All current HP computers (to my knowledge) have Firewire as well as USB2, although they use the 4 pin connector.

Tim

Dstreelm
Jan 9, 2004, 12:19 AM
didnt i hear somewhere that apple will also be releasing a Pepsi branded ipod to go alonmg with their 100 million son give away? that should also help to increase ipod sales...also do you think theyll market both the ipod and ipod mini to HP or Pepsi???

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by dukemeiser
Good idea: Apple makes the iPod, HP sells it under their own name.

Great idea: Apple makes computers, HP sells them under its own name. This could work, if HP wanted it to. In this way, Apple could still control the quality of its product, and increase its market share.

But this probably won't happen, since HP also sells computers. But why couldn't this happen for some other company? How about an Apple computer with a Walmart brand? Or any other brand name?

Might not be a bad idea. HP/Compaq and Apple really appeal to different segments of the market. Apple is all about making a computer that is as much a work of art as it is a computer. This is overkill for the average computer buyer and drives up the price. A mac version of the Pavillion 300 series with a PowerPC 7457 or 750VX is all the average buyer needs. Have Apple supply the MicroATX motherboard and have HP assemble it like they would one of their windows PCs. Having HP as a marketing partner for OS X and OSX server would be great for Apple.

jade
Jan 9, 2004, 02:09 AM
HP and Apple is win/win for iTMS, AAC and quicktime! Bring on Apple the software company who makes a little bit of hardware.

smsaenz
Jan 9, 2004, 02:26 AM
maybe it's just apple's software that HP is using for the hPod and it is engineered with the iPod in mind.

HP branded/built with Apple's iPod R&D/engineering for the head start help and eventual lower end market domination.

Could HP manufacture it cheaper than Apple? Considering it has saved the money on actually developing one from scratch. I envision Apple giving HP "How To Build an iPod" and then HP doing it for cheaper.

Then the profits are shared and everyone is happy.

a possibility?

CalfCanuck
Jan 9, 2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by jade
HP and Apple is win/win for iTMS, AAC and quicktime! Bring on Apple the software company who makes a little bit of hardware.
Exactly. Rather than additional sales (which are great), this the real benefit is that one of Microsoft's biggest customers now will demand that iTMS works well and seemlessly on the Win OS.

Don't forget that HP sends MS $1-$2 billion dollars a year in royalties. So while MS is not the biggest fan of doing what it's told, they also don't want to piss off their customers (of whom Apple is NOT really one).

Also, since HP has been writing so many Printer drivers over the years, they must have a warehouse full of programmers who know about the inner, undocumented, workings of the various Win OSs.

This is a HUGE coupe for ensuring that Apple (and iTMS) remains a key player on Windows, and a HUGE step towards making Apple THE dominant cross-platform digital music player of the future. Once iTMS hits that critical mass, it will be hard for other's to get the industry's leadership position back from Apple.

hvfsl
Jan 9, 2004, 05:44 AM
Apple sells the iPod to shops so both Apple and the shops can make a profit on the ipod. It will be no different with HP, but because HP will be buying a lot of iPods, they will get a bigger discount. It is then upto HP, how much profit they want to sell the iPods for.

the061
Jan 9, 2004, 08:16 AM
I had a funny feeling that something was going on between HP and Apple. All the Mac specific magazines over here (UK) have had massive colour brochures advertising Mac compatible HP products. I distinctly remember one of these saying

"Apple and HP have develeoped a long future together, with more exciting products available in the future..." or something along those lines.

This months issue of iCreate carries a HP advert on almost every page.

Its good news as far as I can see, can only be beneficial to Apple in the long run :)

oliverlubin
Jan 9, 2004, 08:17 AM
as with all offical resellers of apple products i doubt HP will have much if any control over the price of their braned iPods.

keysersoze
Jan 9, 2004, 08:27 AM
Hello All,

Just curious, but have any of you seen the Advertisement for the CP Compaq Business Notebook in Business Week Magazine (1/12/04)? I have seen the ad in Time as well, several months ago. It has a man sitting with his HP notebook computer, with a group of Cello's behind him, and music bars floating around.

The interesting thing to note is that at the man's foot is a brown paper lunch bag....and next to it is a red Apple...with a bite out of it, of course ;)

Coincidence? I think not...

mzlin
Jan 9, 2004, 10:52 AM
The expected knee-jerk reaction from Redmond and Austin, courtesy today's New York Times.

Microsoft has said that it plans to offer its own MSN music store later this year. Thursday the company appeared unprepared for the Apple-Hewlett agreement, which clearly stung Microsoft executives. They said the agreement would limit choice and harm consumers.

"Windows is about choice, you can mix and match all of this stuff," said David Fester, general manager of Microsoft's Windows digital media division. "We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music services."

He said that Hewlett would end up confusing its customers because the company has supported several other Microsoft media products that are not compatible with the iPod, including its Windows Media Center software, which Microsoft sees as the crucial digital hub in the home.

Let's see if I understand ... We, Microsoft are really concerned about you, the consumer. We want you to have choice. That's why we insist you should only use WMC for your music. Wait, what were we saying about choice?

And from Dell:

Dell, the leading seller of Windows-based computers, also suggested that Hewlett was making a mistake. "We expect competition and it's good for customers,'' a Dell spokesman said. "Over time, however, customers will want industry standard choices.''

I guess they weren't listening when Jobs said that iTunes was 70% of the download market. Message to Dell: Apple IS the industry standard. You're hitching yourself to the wrong wagon.

I think the HP-Apple announcement is no surprise. HP has never been averse to partnering with Apple, e.g. printer promotions. I think HP and Apple respect each other as companies with long histories of innovation. HP is threatened by the copy-ideas-cut-corners-skimp-on-research maniac that is Dell, and doesn't like that other copy-catter up in Redmond calling the shots either. Being consumer oriented, the deal shouldn't annoy HP's main competitor and Apple's main strategic partner, IBM, either, as this kind of stuff is more about consumer image and market presence for HP than about profit. As for Apple, Apple figures it's easier to work with HP for shared ground in the PC-using market than to fight all the PC makers at once. HP is the kind of PC maker Apple could live with as a dominant force; Dell with its far cheaper cost structure presents the real long-term problem.

Iroganai
Jan 9, 2004, 11:37 AM
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0109/ces06.htm

mmm... the color is a bit strange to my eyes used to my white iPod...

diniscorreia
Jan 9, 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Iroganai
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0109/ces06.htm

mmm... the color is a bit strange to my eyes used to my white iPod...

Hmm not bad, not bad.

and Fiorina is definitely a cool lady :)

scat999999
Jan 9, 2004, 01:13 PM
I'm sure there are lots of PC owners that would never even think of buying something that says Apple on it. This gives Apple some exposure to it's products and software (through iTunes) to people they wouldn't normally reach. Great move.

Originally posted by tfr

mykemp
Jan 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
I think that it's a smart move for both HP and Apple. Apple won't have new competition (HP) since they are making the product for HP.

Most HP home users seem to be they type of people who love package deals. They go to the Costco or SAMS and buy the "Media Center" packaged PC, it comes with the Scanner, the DVD Burner, printer, and iPod. The PC already has iTunes for Windows installed and configured.

This makes it totally easy to use, and convenient for consumers. I think it's a good marketing deal, and everyone will benefit.

the_dalex
Jan 9, 2004, 02:52 PM
If Microsoft cared about choice, wouldn't they be adding support for competing DRM into their Media Player? Apple is saying there is a choice, and the best choice is Apple. At least they are being honest with their customers.

Microsoft: "You can choose to use any music player or download service that you like, as long as it uses the format we created and promote, because Bill will be pissed if there's a computer-related market we can't control."

Luckily, the only people who hear or read the words of Microsoft management see through the BS, because Microsoft only talks to consumers through butterflies and pop-ups. Industry people know better.

Spock
Jan 9, 2004, 03:12 PM
Wow, whats next Umax Powermac G5?
I think this is a good move for Apple becouse of those morons that won't buy things couse it has an Apple logo on it.
I work for aafes and tried to covince them to sell the iPod in the stores, the guy I was trying to convince said it would not sell becouse it was a Apple product. I hate people like that.

avus
Jan 9, 2004, 04:57 PM
-

GregA
Jan 9, 2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Faeylyn
First, HP's music player is really just an iPod that connects to iTMS and uses AAC and Apple's DRM.

Second, HP indroduces an "entertainment hub" that, among other things, serves as a central point to store and manage digital music.

How could these two devices not be connected? How could HP get away with using something other than AAC and Apple's DRM on the "HP entertainment hub"? Answer (IMO) is that they couldn't. Prediction (IMO) is that the "HP entertainment hub" will really be a rebranded "Apple entertainment hub".HPs digital media receivers (http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/home/store_access.jsp?template_type=storefronts&category=home_networking&subcat1=digital_media_receivers) currently do MP3 and WMA. They require a Windows ME or XP machine to stream from. It'd be nice to see an update there eh?

And on a completely different note - HP brand Macintoshes:
Originally posted by BenRoethig
A mac version of the Pavillion 300 series with a PowerPC 7457 or 750VX is all the average buyer needs. Have Apple supply the MicroATX motherboard and have HP assemble it like they would one of their windows PCs. Having HP as a marketing partner for OS X and OSX server would be great for Apple. If they were going to do that - why wouldn't HP buy all the parts from IBM, then the OS from Apple? The question is - would they fear Apple leaving them in the lurch like the old cloners.

I think Apple is better off helping HP by licensing the MacOS X interface for their existing offerings (HP Linux, VMS, HP/UX). Forget classic & carbon - but imagine if HP could write an App in Cocoa and have it run on all their systems?

edStar
Jan 9, 2004, 09:39 PM
I think its a great idea. The situation is different in America, but in Australia Apple Resellers are FEW and FAR in between.

HP's are everywhere! And the feature pretty prominently in big chain Electronics stores. Consumers that visit these stores are perfect for the mac platform (but there is not enough mac advertising or not alot of resellers in PRIME locations like shopping malls), that's why they buy HP's, they think they are a complete and easy to use solution. That'd be true if it wasn't for the os they are running - Windows XP.

This is Win-Win and Apple gets to maintain that high quality in their products by controlling the manufacture process.

Dahl
Jan 10, 2004, 01:34 AM
I know this off topic, but since Apple is "reaching out", I would love to see them gang up with a car stereo company.
It would be nice too see iPods in the dashboards instead off CD players.

winmacguy
Jan 10, 2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman

Apple will gain a huge market share on the back of HP. iTunes will be installed by default on every HP PC and Laptop sold through all of HPs outlets worldwide. HP has about 33% market share for PCs world wide. Apple has about 4% now and will have 4% + HPs 33% when the satock starts to move through the stores around the world

2004 will be a big year for Apple.

Regardless of how customers see the H Pod they will be using iTunes, iTMS and AAC instead of WMA which is what Apple wants

Apple gets to benefit because it will continue to sell iPods and sell HPods to HP who will in turn sell them to customers of its PCs so every one wins

winmacguy
Jan 10, 2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Dahl
I know this off topic, but since Apple is "reaching out", I would love to see them gang up with a car stereo company.
It would be nice too see iPods in the dashboards instead off CD players.

Audi are installing iPod docks in their new cars

Dahl
Jan 10, 2004, 03:51 AM
That's awesome, hopefully more will follow.

BenRoethig
Jan 10, 2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by edStar
I think its a great idea. The situation is different in America, but in Australia Apple Resellers are FEW and FAR in between.

HP's are everywhere! And the feature pretty prominently in big chain Electronics stores. Consumers that visit these stores are perfect for the mac platform (but there is not enough mac advertising or not alot of resellers in PRIME locations like shopping malls), that's why they buy HP's, they think they are a complete and easy to use solution. That'd be true if it wasn't for the os they are running - Windows XP.

This is Win-Win and Apple gets to maintain that high quality in their products by controlling the manufacture process.

Not much better here. To be honest, Apple products are really only available to those who live in cities of 100,000 or more. iPods are slightly better because they are sold at Target and Best Buy. The Nearest Apple retailer is over an hour away and the nearest Apple store is almost four hours away. People buy what they can find and Wal Marts and Radio shacks are fairly common.

wombat2
Jan 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
I think some people here are thinking of this in terms of some kind of crusade, when it's really just a smart move - or at least a bold move - for two companies.

From what I've read, Apple approached HP, by the way, not the other way around. FWIW.

As for the sale, HP just wants to fill out its product line. They want people to have an entirely HP computer and computer accessory lineup, which is reasonable. They want to be able to go toe to toe, or better, with Dell.

This isn't a major change in strategy, or a hint of a desire to sell Mac clones, or anything like that. It's just a new addition to HP's lineup. They sell computers, monitors, scanners, printers, digital cameras, and - a HD-based mp3 player.

From Apple's perspective, it will increase revenue, both from the player and from iTunes. It is also a hedge against the MSN music store. No matter what people here want to believe, the MSN music store is going to make a huge impact, and could surpass the Apple music store in sales very rapidly. This move will help the Apple store maintain market share later this year.

From Microsoft's perspective, this is annoying, because it will reduce their ability to rapidly dominate the music sales market. Their talk about choice is a smokescreen. They just wanted HP on their side instead of Apple's. They are probably exhasperated.

Overall, a smart move by Apple, and probably by HP. For consumers, this should create some additional capacity-based pricepoints as Apple offers a higher capacity but more expensive line. It should also result in lower prices for iPods, in the long run, due to volume manufacturing and pricing.

Mac Boy-Canada
Jul 27, 2004, 12:42 PM
Judging by the posted pictures, it will be a 3G iPod. I don't know how well that will sell. I just wish HP released the price! Then I could make my decision as whether to get a mini or this!

Links
Jul 27, 2004, 01:33 PM
[Judging by the posted pictures, it will be a 3G iPod....]
Actually, no. As reported July 19:

"HP and Apple announced today that the HP-branded iPod will be available in September.
"HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital
entertainment strategy," said HP CEO Carly Fiorina.
"We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers
an even better experience. HP's version of the new iPod will be available in September."
In early January, HP said that it would begin selling a branded version of Apple's iPod and
bundling iTunes with its desktops and notebooks as part of a new partnership with Apple."

Peyote
Jul 27, 2004, 01:45 PM
Audi are installing iPod docks in their new cars

Just curious as to where you got that info...can't find anyhting about it myself

uzombie
Jul 27, 2004, 02:08 PM
Would it then be called "hPod" ?

And about what car makers are providing docks/control facilities, what is the best way to integrate an iPod into a 2004 Maxima? The Bose unit lacks an aux input. So there are either the cassette adaptor or FM transmitter as choices?

:D

Mac Boy-Canada
Jul 27, 2004, 04:57 PM
Any info on price? I REALLY would like to know whether to get an iPod Mini, or wait for this! I want to pay the lowest price for an iPod!

Mac Boy-Canada
Jul 28, 2004, 02:35 PM
Any info on price yet? :confused:

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 28, 2004, 05:32 PM
Any info on price yet? :confused:

A little eager aren't you?

mkrishnan
Jul 28, 2004, 05:58 PM
Just think, there is a mirror thread in a bizarro universe HP fan site somewhere. Carly-philes are talking about how, they didn't trust this little white gizmo, but anything Carly touches is gold, so....

To the person asking about the 04 Maxima...you might contact these people:

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DU&Product_Code=I11_Nissan_R1&Category_Code=IA_Nissan

Their system works through the CD changer controls in your head unit I think.

bonk
Jul 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
couple things:

I was doing some freelance work for hp in the spring and got to ask a few questions. apple is not letting hp use "i" or "pod" in the name, and if I remember correctly, it was looking like their version was going to be white.

as for pricing, I GUARANTEE it will cost the same as apple prices. have you ever known any reseller to sell apple products for less than apple does? there's no way apple is going to let a third party undercut their own prices.