Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2003
We just had an old Power Mac die in our graphics department. We're on a very tight budget and I've decided the best replacement will be a new or refurbished Mac mini, rather than a less powerful old tower via eBay for about the same price. (Used Mac prices are ridiculously high.)

We don't do a lot of high end graphics, so my question isn't about speed or power. What I want opinions on is whether the 2.5 inch drive in the mini is suitable for running all day, every day, or whether it would be smarter/safer to boot and run from an external 3.5" Firewire drive.

Have considered upgrading the drive that will come in the mini to a 7200 rpm 250GB drive, or buying an external Firewire drive for about the same price instead. Any thoughts?

iDave

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2003
My benchmark testing indicates that the internal 5400rpm SATA drive outperforms a FW 7200rpm/32mb cache drive in almost every test. That FW400 port just can't keep up with the 1.5 mbps SATA.
Thanks. Is the 2.5" drive any more prone to failure than a 3.5" drive, do you think?

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
I just installed a Western Digital 7200rpm 2.5inch drive in my Mac Mini. The benchmarks are faster than a (older) 3.5 inch 250gb Seagate I had laying around (connected via SATA). Fast enough for me, and no external boxes hanging off the Mac Mini is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.