Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a macbook to use in university. I have heard quite a bit about some of the heat problems that macbook have because they are plastic. Should I be concerned about the heat possibly damaging the components? Is it safe to leave the macbook on for long periods of time? What would be the mac amount of time you should leave it on for?

Also, I use laptops quite a bit off my lap whilst lying in bed, watching TV, etc, is the heat bearable to do so?

Cheers,

Eric D.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
I use mine everyday for 6-8 hours and it's running at a constant 135-140 degrees due to audio software. I use smcFanControl to manually bump the fan from 1800rpm to 2600rpm (sometimes 3600rpm) and it's fine. Been using it for over a year this way, so you should have no problems. It's best not to lay your laptop on a cloth surface... always use something hard to set it on. Otherwise you could restrict the air vents, and the cloth will capture the heat and not dissipate it.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Thanks,

Do you actually use your macbook for 6-8 hours? Or is it on sleep for part of that time.

Eric D.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
My MacBook stays cool enough to put on my lap while doing things like browsing the web and listening to music, but when you start to push it just a little it gets too hot to put in your lap.

jmb667

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Philomath, OR, USA
Mine seems to run pretty cool, except when I'm playing games or DVDs. Currently it's at 47C, but I think I've topped out at 71C while playing games.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't worry, the fan usually keeps the MacBook cool, I measured the temperatures before. It won't damage the components, I never ever heard a single report about that, although there were reports of the high temperatures, but not damage to the components. it should be fine web browsing, mail, ichat, itunes, etc. Once you do anything graphical, like games or movie editing, then the fan kicks in. Dont worry about the heat damaging things.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
My Macbook seems to run pretty cool. I know the 2.16 Macbook (pre-Santa Rosa) had some production problems which led to higher temperatures (ie one website opened up one of these Macbooks and found sloppy globs of thermal paste which can in fact increase the heat levels).

Late last year this forum was filled with tales of hot Macbooks and uneven production standards. This seems to have dissipated somewhat.

My Macbook was fine from the beginning, but I would not have hesitated to return it if it showed some of the problems of Macbooks last year. (I have the 2.2 ghz Santa Rosa).

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Mine seems to run pretty cool, except when I'm playing games or DVDs. Currently it's at 47C, but I think I've topped out at 71C while playing games.

well just so you know, the safety limit is 95C - because if it gets to 100C, water in the air can turn to steam, and condense on the (relatively) cooler parts inside your macbook, effectively shorting out your pc.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Don't worry, the fan usually keeps the MacBook cool, I measured the temperatures before. It won't damage the components, I never ever heard a single report about that, although there were reports of the high temperatures, but not damage to the components. it should be fine web browsing, mail, ichat, itunes, etc. Once you do anything graphical, like games or movie editing, then the fan kicks in. Dont worry about the heat damaging things.

does the fan kick in when you are running windows thru bootcamp (i play games in windows)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.