Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Is this true ??? I just returned my refurbished Air and canceled the new Macbook Air order just now !!!

From Engadget "File this rumor under the "sure, that makes sense" category. Granted, PhoneNews may not be the go-to source for Apple rumors, still, the site's reputable enough to at least give this one a listen. It claims that national retailers have been alerted to an imminent announcement of a new revision to the MacBook Air. More specifically, PhoneNews claims that the MBA will move away from the stop-gap, 65-nm Intel processor dusted-off special for Apple (and now Voodoo's Envy 133) in favor of Intel's latest 45-nm Penryn processor. If true, then we're talking about possible clocks ranging from 2.26GHz to 3.06GHz (up from 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz), a 1,066MHz FSB (up from 800MHz), and appreciable increase in CPU power draw to 29W (up from 20W). We can also expect better GMA X4500 integrated graphics assuming Apple adopts the Centrino 2 chipset. To offset the potential degradation in mobility, Apple will beef-up the battery and replace the 45W MagSafe adapter with a 60W version like those found with existing MacBooks. With this rumor and all the others related to Apple's lineup of MacBooks, we wouldn't be surprised to see Apple announce some kind of special media event sometime soon"

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/14/macbook-air-with-penryn-launch-imminent/

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
You canceled an order because of a rumor? :confused:

Yep !!! hahaha... Well my first refurbished was DOA, so they will have someone to pick it up tomorrow. They couldn't do a replacment for me so they refund. Then I re-ordered just 3 hours ago then saw that rumor so I cancelled my order and wait for September to come!!!

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
:DWell thank you very much for the article! It was interesting... :)

The thing is, although September is a really nice time to release the Air, I don't think it may happen unfortunately. I myself am wanting to purchase an MBA to make the PC transition. However, I want to get the newest... for example, bought my 1st gen. iPhone, then like 4 weeks later, hi 3G!

Anyways, I don't think you should of cancelled your order. From what I've heard, a refresh may happen around next year...

Go reorder that Air of yours and enjoy it :D

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
:DWell thank you very much for the article! It was interesting... :)

The thing is, although September is a really nice time to release the Air, I don't think it may happen unfortunately. I myself am wanting to purchase an MBA to make the PC transition. However, I want to get the newest... for example, bought my 1st gen. iPhone, then like 4 weeks later, hi 3G!

Anyways, I don't think you should of cancelled your order. From what I've heard, a refresh may happen around next year...

Go reorder that Air of yours and enjoy it :D

re-order umm temptingggg !!!

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
45nm Penryn will certainly happen, though not 3.06 or even 2.26 Ghz.
It'll be 1.6 & 1.86 SLs.
No faster SPs as they consume much more watts, and as battery (& cooling "setup" for that matter) will remain the same - not going to happen.

Only other significant change might be expected - SATA SSD interface.

4Gb RAM option & extra USB/FW port or some kind of combo, would be welcome, but rather unrealistic.
I'd personally also love : Matte & Express card in place of USB/DVI.
But that is certainly not going to happen.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

EspressoLove said:
bought my 1st gen. iPhone, then like 4 weeks later, hi 3G!

That's edging on a fake, as 1st gen. was sold out long before, and everyone was talking about 3G like done deal.

lol. I was being a little sarcastic... It was more than 4 weeks. Plus I was too excited (and dumb) to do some research before my purchase. :)

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

lol. I was being a little sarcastic... It was more than 4 weeks. Plus I was too excited (and dumb) to do some research before my purchase. :)

I understand that feeling !!! :D you just couldn't hold your gun !!!

Macbook Air
Last Release January 15, 2008
Days Since Update 212 (Avg = 0)

I think the rumor could be valid 212 days seem so long

dukejen04

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
sweeeeet

that would be awesome if it is true! my poor g4 powerbook is on its deathbed, so i want a new computer now, but i've been holding out waiting for a revision for the macbook air (although i was thinking if it wasn't going to come until january, i might just have to get the macbook). this would be the greatest thing ever if it is true! one more month....i can hang on :)

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
that would be awesome if it is true! my poor g4 powerbook is on its deathbed, so i want a new computer now, but i've been holding out waiting for a revision for the macbook air (although i was thinking if it wasn't going to come until january, i might just have to get the macbook). this would be the greatest thing ever if it is true! one more month....i can hang on :)

Can you ??? I am still thinking of re-ordering my order a few hours back. Looking at the comments on Engadget, it seems that this news I have posted is not valid !!!

The point they made was about battery, Macbook air cannot take heat so they cannot possible increase the battery watt from 20 to 29

dukejen04

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
well, my thoughts are that apple has probably been at the drawing board since the release of the macbook air trying to improve the heating issue. i would hope they could come up with something, since this has been a major issue for a lot of people.

i am going to hold on, because as desperate as i am, i'm not sure how happy i would be with my MBA if a new one came out just a few weeks later. that's just how i am though, not necessarily a big deal for other people. i just get something new so rarely, that i want to enjoy its newness (and "bestness") for as long as possible.

so, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Engadget said:
It claims that national retailers have been alerted to an imminent announcement of a new revision to the MacBook Air. More specifically, PhoneNews claims that the MBA will move away from the stop-gap, 65-nm Intel processor dusted-off special for Apple (and now Voodoo's Envy 133) in favor of Intel's latest 45-nm Penryn processor.
Makes sense, although many (including myself) didn't expect it until early next year.

Engadget said:
With this rumor and all the others related to Apple's lineup of MacBooks, we wouldn't be surprised to see Apple announce some kind of special media event sometime soon
This is possible, and Apple would just do a speedbump / price drop at that event. This would explain why the MacBook Air is not mentioned in the AppleInsider article, since this revision is more slight.

Realistic specs
13.3" 1280·800 LED display
1.6/1.87 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17 W)
1067 MHz FSB
2 GB DDR3, 4 GB BTO
80 GB HDD / 64 GB SSD, 128 GB SSD BTO
Same design, ports, etc. as before
Glass trackpad
Price drop likely, maybe to $1599

So for this coming holiday season, Apple will be refreshing all their iPods and all their portables with new features and/or new designs!

It's going to be a great September!

(Now… when's the next iPhone coming out? :p)

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
them getting the CPU and TDP wrong makes the entire rumor suspect. i believe (and hope) this will happen eventually but the question is when? if they got the CPU wrong they could also be wrong about the date.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA

Hey this news is now posted as a rumor on the front page!
How exciting!!! :)

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I would just buy the newer macbooks that will come in a month later. 1-2lbs lighter (possibly have the same casing as the mba just a lil thicker for the superdrives), led backlit screens, aluminum casing and all under a $1000. Especially when you can put a 2.5" hdd inside its the best overall.

Apr 10, 2007
I would just buy the newer macbooks that will come in a month later. 1-2lbs lighter (possibly have the same casing as the mba just a lil thicker for the superdrives), led backlit screens, aluminum casing and all under a $1000. Especially when you can put a 2.5" hdd inside its the best overall.

That won't happen, if anything it will be the same size but will an aluminum case, they are not going to cannibalize the mba.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
them getting the CPU and TDP wrong makes the entire rumor suspect. i believe (and hope) this will happen eventually but the question is when? if they got the CPU wrong they could also be wrong about the date.
They're probably also wrong about the HD capacity bump. I don't think HDs bigger than 80 GB exist that can fit in the MacBook Air.

AND WHAT DOES "IMMINENT" MEAN ANYWAY? Next Tuesday? The Tuesday after that? Within the next month? By the end of September? WHAT?

Can't they be more precise? Hard to see how they can be wrong about the date then.

Krazy3

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Need Some Input

This is just gutwrenching news. I ordered a CTO 1.8ghz 80gb mba on monday night. I know you can't return CTOs so I need input on whether or not I should cancel this order and wait it out for a month or so.

I need this for Law school which starts on the 18th (monday) and it hasn't shipped out of the factory yet, so techinically i can still cancel the order. BUT I really only need it for taking notes and going on the internet. So pretty much just Word and Safari.

Question is, should I cancel the order and somehow rough it out for a month or not. Do you guys think that this will make a BIG difference for what i need it for? It has to be very significant since I won't be able to use it for a month, and really really need computer during that time period.

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
This is just gutwrenching news. I ordered a CTO 1.8ghz 80gb mba on monday night. I know you can't return CTOs so I need input on whether or not I should cancel this order and wait it out for a month or so.

I need this for Law school which starts on the 18th (monday) and it hasn't shipped out of the factory yet, so techinically i can still cancel the order. BUT I really only need it for taking notes and going on the internet. So pretty much just Word and Safari.

Question is, should I cancel the order and somehow rough it out for a month or not. Do you guys think that this will make a BIG difference for what i need it for? It has to be very significant since I won't be able to use it for a month, and really really need computer during that time period.

i cancelled my order :eek: maybe you can use your mate or brother, sister com at the mean time

Kittychan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Also I think this news can be valid for 2 reasons.

First: the overheat issues
Second: The refurbished macbook air in Nz is relatively cheap compare to a new one I think 22% off

I will wait till Sep and see !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.