Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Hi all,

First post here, be gentle!

Bought a mid-range Macbook brand new 5 days ago and everything is fine apart from I have to press the touchpad quite hard to get it to click. I've had 3 macbooks before this and never had this problem.

I'm wondering if this is something common, and whether other users have had this problem. Maybe it will loosen up? My previous macbooks wer all refurbs so it's difficult ot compare to those...

FYI Am moving around a lot at the moment so can't go into my original shop to ask questions, and have an appt for the official London mac store in 4 days but may have to miss it due to a flight that day! Any help in the interim would be really useful.

Many thanks,

Pippa

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Welcome to the forums. :)

I'd probably go back to the store and use all the touchpad clickers on the display models to see if it's really that hard. If so, than have them take a look at it. You might need to break it in. Sorry I can't suggest anything more helpful. :eek:

urbanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Hey yeah, thanks, I already tried that and they all click fine, but maybe they have been 'broken in'...?

If there are any new macbook users who had this problem initially and can promise me it goes away, that would be great haha ;)

flox99

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2008
I've got the same problem. My trackpad button was originally both squishy and hard. I've put a small cardboard piece to remove the squishiness (as suggested here). It did make it less squishy, but the button is as hard as before :(

I've had my MacBook for one month, and it hasn't improved since. I think I'll buy a mouse rather than risk RSI (which I can already feel creeping up).

Before that I had a 12" PowerBook. It's trackpad button was great: the slightest stroke would make it click. I really miss it.

Gew

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Kingston, Jamaica.
It's not just you.

MacBooks in all their general behaves this way. If you're used to for instance a PC netbook with noiseless "fingertip clickablity" you will probably get frustrated by the -- in comparison -- hard-pressed button the Macbook. Let's say our prayers that you're not one of these guys who have chronic mouse-arm issues from before, 'cus then it's gonna be hell on earth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.