Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wondering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Let me warn u guys first before i ask my question, im a total nooB, and i dont know the difference between the two, honestly :(

I recently bought a macbookpro, and now im planning to install vista so that i can play games on it as well. I already bought the vista home basic (its ok for games, isnt it?) OEM version, i havent tried installing yet, because i need 2 decide between the 64 bit or 32 bit so that the installation could rum smoothly..

so guys, please help? :(

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Vista Home Basic should run all the games that you would like.

I run Vista Ultimate only because I was able to get it free through my University, and it seems like overkill.

wondering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
alryt, thats good to know.. so.. do u know the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit..? which one should i install? which one is more compatible with video games?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
FYI, Vista home basic is the cripple (most features are disabled) of the cripple (know as vista).

But if you must install, 64bit vista is slightly better (compared to 32bit vista) on a Mac that supports it (santa rosa and higher). If you bought a brand new MBP or previous generation MBP (released last summer) then it's santa rosa.

You probably need more ram as the 2gb that comes with MBP, as vista is a memory and resource hog.

wondering

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
FYI, Vista home basic is the cripple (most features are disabled) of the cripple (know as vista).

But if you must install, 64bit vista is slightly better (compared to 32bit vista) on a Mac that supports it (santa rosa and higher). If you bought a brand new MBP or previous generation MBP (released last summer) then it's santa rosa.

You probably need more ram as the 2gb that comes with MBP, as vista is a memory and resource hog.

haha yeah im aware of it being a cripple, i just need windows to play games, no other tasks, should be alright, right..? :p

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
If you bought an OEM disk, it has either 32 or 64 bit. With retail versions (besides Ultimate, which comes with both discs), the box comes with 32 bit but you can get a 64 bit disc sent to you for like $10. I don't believe that option is available with the OEM discs. You get whatever you bought. I recommend 64-bit, though.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
If you bought an OEM disk, it has either 32 or 64 bit. With retail versions (besides Ultimate, which comes with both discs), the box comes with 32 bit but you can get a 64 bit disc sent to you for like $10. I don't believe that option is available with the OEM discs. You get whatever you bought. I recommend 64-bit, though.

I'd also agree to go with Vista 64 if you plan on maxing out your RAM (which I'm hoping for your sake you do, seeing as how cheap it is). If you don't plan on getting more RAM, Vista Home Premium (32-bit) should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.