Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
David Pogue writes (New York Times) on an interview with Steve Jobs at the MacWorld Expo.

The topic of portable Video Players came up and Jobs take on it was to give three reasons why he doubted video players would approach the success of audio players.

The reasons cited include 1) "there's no equivalent of headphones" in that watching video on a small screen is no match for a theatre or even television 2) Hollywood already does a good job selling/distributing their content (dvd, theatres etc...) 3) People don't watch their favorite movies the same way as they listen to their favorite music.

Of course, Jobs ends with "Now, I’m not saying we’re not working on something like that, Who knows what we’ve got in our labs?”

idkew

macrumors 68020
Damn you Steve!

I bet he is just sitting back in his chair right now, laughing at all of use trying to figure out what "Now, I’m not saying we’re not working on something like that, Who knows what we’ve got in our labs?” means.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Makes sense

I'm sure Apple is working on all kinds of goodies, some which we may see in a few years, and some of which we'll never see. An Apple video player will appear when they can find a way to make such a product appeal to the masses.

I'm as big a tech geek as the next guy, but watching movies on a tiny screen has zero appeal to me. SJ made a good point -- with a good pair of headphones, you can have a pretty darn good listening experience. There simply isn't any equivalent in the video realm. Yet.

blueBomber

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
I agree that portable video is a very different beast than music. A friend of mine has a bunch of episodes of Star Trek on his pocket pc, and when he tries to show me how cool it is, I can't help but think that it's almost too gimicky. I just can't get into watching video on a tiny screen like that.

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
ok

"Now, I’m not saying we’re not working on something like that, Who knows what we’ve got in our labs?

Uh.......? Is it just me, or does Steve sound more and more like Wille Wonka??

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
A portable video player wouldn't work just because if you are watching a movie you can not do anything else like walking on a side walk in the way to the subway. With an iPod you can.

BTW, I saw 5 iPods in NY the other day, every body has one, and I saw 2 or 3 the next day.

BwanaZulia

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
This is why I am happy Steve is running Apple. He, unlike many of his peers, "gets it". He understands what people want (iPods/iTMS) and what they don't (to watch 2 hour movies on a 2" screen).

I have a nice new Palm T3 and the idea of throwing a couple of Simpson's episodes on it is cool... but just for the gimick of it.

BZ

macreator

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2003
New York City
Hint hint.... I would love to see an Apple branded video player. It would be awesome if the Newton was resurrected along with it. Think of an Apple iPlayer with mobile versions of iLife apps + PDA Functions (i.e. Address Book, iCal etc.) + Music functions as seen in the iPod with movie viewing. Think of an iPod but a tad bit bigger and then put it horizontally. Rearrange the buttons and boom! iPlayer, new from Apple. It would be amazing! I am a bit skeptical as to how bad watching a movie on that would be. The screen would just need to take up the iPlayer's width with the buttons below the screen and a wheel on the right side of the screen. Imagine that plus (I know this is getting long) Bluetooth and AirPort. There will never be a dull moment ever again.

lyonsden

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2002
Illinois
Small size - big 'look'

Emagin makes some tiny displays that are used in some head mounted displays. In fact at the CES a couple companies have announced consumer versions. Check Antelope and Leadtek. The monocular version would allow you to watch and walk.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
Tiny TV

I used to have a tiny Casio TV. I think it was a 3" screen or maybe smaller. I can honestly say, it's a gimmick. It was very cool to have this portable TV, but the "coolness" wore off after a half hour. It's silly really.

I think Apple could make a small color iPod for the purpose of displaying photos, like wallet size photos people have now. Especially considering that you can now download pictures off your camera onto your iPod.

One other thing to think about... Imagine having a 60GB iPod with several of your favorite movies... You go over to your friends house, connect the iPod to his TV and watch a movie off the iPod. Now that could be cool and VERY useful.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Re: ok

Originally posted by wiz7dome
"Now, I’m not saying we’re not working on something like that, Who knows what we’ve got in our labs?

Uh.......? Is it just me, or does Steve sound more and more like Wille Wonka??

Hmm now that I think about it he does seem like Willie Wonka....hmmmm. Maybe he has little men (japanese people?, they r pretty short) who sing the "oompa loompa" song?

painandgreed

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2003
Seattle
Re: Jobs on Portable Video Players

Originally posted by Macrumors

The reasons cited include 1) "there's no equivalent of headphones" in that watching video on a small screen is no match for a theatre or even television ...

Of course, Jobs ends with "Now, I’m not saying we’re not working on something like that, Who knows what we’ve got in our labs?”

Of course HIT Labs at UW has developed goggles that create an image by painting the wearers retina wwith a laser.

http://www.hitl.washington.edu/projects/vrd/

It's monochrome equivilant to VGA, but that was also several years ago and they state their goal is full color display. It is being developed commercially at:

http://www.mvis.com/nomad/index.html

you

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
Kent Washington
It would be sweet if instead of having only an LCD screen but a built in projector. Then you could replace your vcr/ dvd player with your your iWatch movie player

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
Anyone want to show SJ the "interesting" iPod job posting in 2003? He would go red no doubt :p

I think what SJ is hinting is that they are working on something more than JUST a PVP - something more closer to a PDA or Tablet - BUT aimed squarely at CONSUMERS rather than business man or geeks - like what the iPod has done.

The hardest part to figure out would be what added VALUE/FUNCTIONALITY will this new product bring that could change our lives as the iPod has achieved, we all know Sony is including GAMING as their added value/functionality to their PSP (due out Nov 2004), now what can Apple bring is what interest me the most.

Any suggestions?

qgrayson

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
On the other hand...

...I think people would LOVE to be able to show their iPhoto collection on a handheld.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
VideoPOD uses

I can think of only two uses for a VideoPOD:

1. As mjtomlin wrote, if it has a tv-out connector you can easily bring your videos to a friends house.

2. For kids on long car trips.

Problem with number 1 is that you would need a lot of processing power to decode divx or mpeg2 or whatever real-time and crank out tv-resolution signals.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by hokka
I think what SJ is hinting is that they are working on something more than JUST a PVP - something more closer to a PDA or Tablet - BUT aimed squarely at CONSUMERS rather than business man or geeks - like what the iPod has done.

Doesn't matter where you aim it. What matters is what people want, or what you can convince people to want.

There isn't a significant market for a PVP, and won't be in the foreseeable future. From SJ's quote, he understands this.

The job posting doesn't mean diddly. I'm sure you can think of several explanations that don't involve an imminent release of a PVP.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: On the other hand...

Originally posted by qgrayson
...I think people would LOVE to be able to show their iPhoto collection on a handheld.

You could be right. But honestly, would you? With current technology, I don't think I would. The screens aren't high-res enough for me, and a screen that would fit on a hand-held wouldn't be big enough. Also, I mostly would like to share photos with family, many of whom are not local.

Right now, we've got an account at MyFamily.com, which gives my extended family a place to post and share photos. It's awesome.

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
Originally posted by splashman
Doesn't matter where you aim it. What matters is what people want, or what you can convince people to want.

There isn't a significant market for a PVP, and won't be in the foreseeable future. From SJ's quote, he understands this.

No, you got me wrong, Apple is too smart to "push" what they think is right for a particular market, but rather listen to what people "want" then figure out how to add that value/functionality/want to a product which can fulfill these requirement - did you read the paragraph just below what you have quoted?

Secondly, I (already) agree with you there's not a significant market for a PVP ALONE, but other added value could mean a much better product (so you can do MORE than just view movies/pix and listen to tunes for example)

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Re: VideoPOD uses

Originally posted by gekko513
I can think of only two uses for a VideoPOD:

1. As mjtomlin wrote, if it has a tv-out connector you can easily bring your videos to a friends house.
2. For kids on long car trips.

Regarding #1, just curious -- do you currently bring videos to a friends' house?

Maybe I'm just weird, but neither I nor my kids do that very often at all, and having a more convenient way to do it wouldn't increase my desire to do so.

As someone with kids, I can say #2 is valid, but we just use our iBook for that. (We've got an extra battery).

iAtom

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Massachusetts, US
Re: Small size - big 'look'

Originally posted by lyonsden
Emagin makes some tiny displays that are used in some head mounted displays. In fact at the CES a couple companies have announced consumer versions. Check Antelope and Leadtek. The monocular version would allow you to watch and walk.

I really doubt that anyone could walk and watch one of those things. That would require each of your eyes to focus at different distances, and i'm pretty sure that's not possible.

I personally would like a device just like an iPod, except with a video-out port so you can plug it into a tv and watch video. It would also be nice if it had a remote controlled version of iPhoto.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by hokka
No, you got me wrong, Apple is too smart to "push" what they think is right for a particular market, but rather listen to what people "want" then figure out how to add that value/functionality/want to a product which can fulfill these requirement - did you read the paragraph just below what you have quoted?

Secondly, I (already) agree with you there's not a significant market for a PVP ALONE, but other added value could mean a much better product (so you can do MORE than just view movies/pix and listen to tunes for example)

I read it all, and I just read it all again. I'm still trying to figure out why it would make sense to include a video player in a combo product if there isn't a demand for the video player. Are you thinking that adding the capability would, cost-wise, be inconsequential? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it.

So as a consumer, if I didn't see the need for a PVP, why would I buy a PDA/Tablet/PVP for more $, when I could buy a PDA/Tablet for less $?

I understand you're asking a question, not making a statement, and I don't mean to sound like I have it all figured out -- I don't! I'm simply expressing my opinion in the form of another question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.