Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to hook my Linksys WRT54G up to my AEBS, and use the AEBS for 802.11 n only, and use the Linksys for 802.11 b & g only? I want to do this to improve streaming between my "n" devices, but I still want to be able to access the internet from the b & g devices. So basically I want everything on the same network, but I want one router broadcasting in "n" only, and the other broadcasting in "b" & "g". Is this possible?

Thanks!

Don

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I don't see why not. You might, however, get some interference between the two routers (make sure they're operating on different channels, with difference SSIDs).

Also, you'll want to disable DHCP on your Linksys; essentially the AEBS will handle all of the routing, while the linksys will be acting as an access point.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I don't see why not. You might, however, get some interference between the two routers (make sure they're operating on different channels, with difference SSIDs).

Also, you'll want to disable DHCP on your Linksys; essentially the AEBS will handle all of the routing, while the linksys will be acting as an access point.

Ok, so would I connect the Linksys to the AEBS via the WAN port, or one of the LAN ports? also, will I be able to use the LAN ports on the Linksys? Will the AEBS be able to assign an IP address to devices wired to the Lynksis. I'm asking because I only have 1 port left open on the AEBS, and need more wired connections to.

Also, for MAC filtering, would I just have to configure that on the AEBS, or will I have to configure it on the Linksys also?

Thanks!

Don

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to hook my Linksys WRT54G up to my AEBS, and use the AEBS for 802.11 n only, and use the Linksys for 802.11 b & g only?

Yes. You would just have two different networks. Not much different than if to people living in adjacent apartments each have wireless routers. If you opened a b/g/n capable notebook up it would detect two networks.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Ok, so would I connect the Linksys to the AEBS via the WAN port, or one of the LAN ports? also, will I be able to use the LAN ports on the Linksys? Will the AEBS be able to assign an IP address to devices wired to the Lynksis. I'm asking because I only have 1 port left open on the AEBS, and need more wired connections to.

Also, for MAC filtering, would I just have to configure that on the AEBS, or will I have to configure it on the Linksys also?

Thanks!

Don
You would connect the linksys to a LAN port on the AEBS, and yes, you could use the LAN ports on the linksys; the AEBS will indeed assign addresses to anything connected to the entire network.

I believe you need to assign MAC address filtering to both the AEBS and the linksys.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
You would connect the linksys to a LAN port on the AEBS, and yes, you could use the LAN ports on the linksys; the AEBS will indeed assign addresses to anything connected to the entire network.

I believe you need to assign MAC address filtering to both the AEBS and the linksys.

OK, I was looking on the setup page of the Linksys, and I don't know what mode I would set it to, DCHP (I'm assuming no), PPpoe, Static IP, and Telstra Cable. Which of these would I set it to?

Thanks,

Don

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Yes. You would just have two different networks. Not much different than if to people living in adjacent apartments each have wireless routers. If you opened a b/g/n capable notebook up it would detect two networks.

Not 2 different networks, thats not a good option. Set the B/G router to AP mode, set the authentication (so no one gains access to your network unless you give them the password), and let the ABES do the routing/DHCP for every connection ethernet/Wifi N/Wifi BG.

This is how many networks are setup (Wifi device is in AP mode, not router mode), especially when wireless is not the main connectivity method to the network.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
OK, sorry, but I'm totally confused! I don't see a AP mode in the config page for the WRT54G. The modes that I do have are, DCHP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and Telstra Cable. Which of these would I set the WRT54G to?

Thanks,

Don

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
OK, sorry, but I'm totally confused! I don't see a AP mode in the config page for the WRT54G. The modes that I do have are, DCHP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and Telstra Cable. Which of these would I set the WRT54G to?

Thanks,

Don

Sorry, was on vacation.

To get the WRT54G to do "ap only", you turn off DHCP, connect a LAN port to your existing network, do NOT use the WAN port. You give it an IP in your current IP range, as you may need to get to the web interface. It wont do routing if the WAN port is disconnected.

Depending on your version of the wrt54g, you might consider DD-WRT.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
It is always RECOMMENDED that you use b/g and n with separate routers as using a single router for n. g. b will decrease its 'n' throughput considerably!

And dont worry about interference since b/g uses the 2.4 GHz medium while n uses 5 GHz!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.