PDA

View Full Version : Useless Information

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 11:17 AM
ok so I skipped the "Mac & ______" part....but whatever...

we all know some useless information...

it's everywhere...little bits of information that we've picked up along the way in our lives....that every now we spout out to someone....usually getting an "uh huh...:rolleyes:" look...

to start off...

contrary to popular belief....Dr. Pepper isn't made from prune juice...

I've heard it's flavor & color is derived from beets...

I'm not sure of the second part...but the first I know is correct... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
ok so I skipped the "Mac & ______" part....but whatever...

we all know some useless information...

contrary to popular belief....Dr. Pepper isn't made from prune juice...

Never heard that one.

My ability to come up with useless knowledge is best evident when playing a trivia game. I'll come up with answers that no one would even imagine I'd know. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any good ones, and its tough because useless knowledge is something that's a bit arbitrary as well.

Here's one and a good example of relevance:

With my friends if I were to mention that Long Island is the largest terminal moraine in North America. (most of them would look at me like I was an idiot, trying to cover for the fact that they don't know what a terminal moraine was.)

With a group of my old coworkers (geologists) this same statement would have started a debate on the geological ramification of long island and the underwater coastal trenches left over from the melt that can be observed by sonar under the thin layer of mud, that run all the way to the edge of the continental shelf.

Hemingray
May 23, 2002, 11:29 AM
I'm on a typography kick, so here's a few:

The real name for "#" is the octothorpe.

The ampersand, "&", is a ligature of "et", which is Latin for "and".

The terms "uppercase" and "lowercase" were derived from the days of manual typesetting when the letters were actually kept in an upper case drawer and a lower case drawer to keep them separate.

The term "Mind your p's and q's" was also derived from manual typesetting days. Since the letters were placed in backwards, it was quite easy to mistake a "p" for a "q". We still use it today to mean "be careful".

There's my contribution. :D

Ensign Paris
May 23, 2002, 11:33 AM
My useless piece of information:

To every person in the world there are 140 baked bean tins.

Ensign

eyelikeart
May 23, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
[BThe term "Mind your p's and q's" was also derived from manual typesetting days. Since the letters were placed in backwards, it was quite easy to mistake a "p" for a "q". We still use it today to mean "be careful".[/B]

that's interesting...

I always heard that "Mind your P's & Q's" was derived, I believe, in Europe....in the bars when the men got a bit too rowdy...the bartender would say to "Mind your P's & Q's"...referring to their drunkeness form pints & quarts of beer or whatever they were drinking...

Macmaniac
May 23, 2002, 11:46 AM
The average human will extcrete enough fluid in a lifetime to fill a pool(the stuff that ends up in the tinkler, along with sweat)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Hemingray
The term "Mind your p's and q's" was also derived from manual typesetting days. Since the letters were placed in backwards, it was quite easy to mistake a "p" for a "q". We still use it today to mean "be careful".

That's actually very cool, and I've now added it to my vault of useless knowledge, just can't wait to use it myself. It almost is as good as a Cliff Claven quote from Cheers!

mymemory
May 23, 2002, 12:00 PM
I do not remember nothing useless. I think useless comments depends of the media around, ex. if I start to talk about midi in a party souronded by regular people.
In my case there is not useless information, just the depend of the moment and the circunstances. That may be why I can not find anything useless to say, unless I start to talk about "venezuelan politics" and that would be a useless comment because no one here would care that much about it.

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 12:08 PM
You can 'visualize' a 3D magnetic field by filling a bottle with baby oil and iron filings. Place a magnet near the bottle and the iron filings will arrange themsleves along the field. Serves no purpose, but its cool.

Its more along the lines of useless knowlegde as opposed to useless facts....:D

britboy
May 23, 2002, 06:50 PM
The saying "sleep tight" comes from the 1600's (or thereabouts), when beds were strung with rope for springs. People had to tighten the ropes regularly, to prevent the beds from sagging, resulting in a bad nights' sleep.

Someone being 'worth their salt' comes from old shipping times, when sailors were paid not in money, but in salt. Being 'worth their salt' meant that they were good workers.

'It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey' comes also from shipping, when cannon balls were stacked on brass plates, called monkey plates. When it was very cold, the brass plates would shrink, sometimes causing the cannon balls to fall off.

Enough for one go? My dad used to be a ships captain, so i know plenty more :p

mischief
May 23, 2002, 06:52 PM
Nikola Tesla invented everything from AC electricity to the Transistor to Digital RC. To spite this Edison (who had NO personal inventive genius) and Marconi (who was once a lab assistant to Tesla) get credit for the age of invention.

Mr. Tesla had hundreds of Patents. All useful and all from research he conducted himself over several years.

Mr. Edison employed hundreds of Lab Technicians to use brute-force trial and error to invent the few useful devices turned out during his lifetime...... many of which proved impractical or even dangerous.

Twinkies aren't a baked good. The batter is shot into moulds where it effectively cures........ they are pure chemistry in action.:D

King Cobra
May 23, 2002, 07:17 PM
eyelikeart, I had no idea Dr. Pepper was like that...

Coca-Cola used to be green when it came out.

Pepsi is doing the second best thing...they are making a blue cola! :eek:

edit: the link was broken. Try this:

http://www.spudart.org/pepsiblue/

mischief
May 23, 2002, 07:25 PM
There are no straight lines in nature not defined by light.

All life and energy conforms to the Phi equation identified with "golden sections".

There is no Darwinian explaination for the hummingbird.

The Aerodynamic characteristics of the Honey Bee are such that it should not be able to fly.

Many "Terminal Morrains" are facing the wrong direction to be from glaciers, supporting the Large Impact model of many pre-historic cataclysms.

There is no scientific explaination for male nipples........

:D (just thought I'd mess with ya);)

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 07:26 PM
Alaska is the Eastern, Western, and Northern most state.

Males ejaculate at about 35mph (don't ask, I just know) :D

stoid
May 23, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
The average human will extcrete enough fluid in a lifetime to fill a pool(the stuff that ends up in the tinkler, along with sweat)

That's rather vague:rolleyes: what size pool? Kiddie or olympic??:confused:

britboy
May 23, 2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
Alaska is the Eastern, Western, and Northern most state.

Eastern? How can that be?

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by britboy

Eastern? How can that be?

there are a ffew islands that cross over to the Eastern Hemisphere. :D check it out its true...they're closer to Russia then Mainland United States....

krossfyter
May 23, 2002, 08:52 PM
rhode island is neither a rode nor an island..... ummm okay ....i suck at this.

but cool thread eye! :p :)

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Mr. Tesla had hundreds of Patents. All useful and all from research he conducted himself over several years.

I'm very impressed that you knew of Tesla since I've had the opportunity to work with some Tesla technology. You ever here of the HAARP project - High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project? I've actually run the array a few times up in Alaska.

teabgs
May 23, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'm very impressed that you knew of Tesla since I've had the opportunity to work with some Tesla technology. You ever here of the HAARP project - High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project? I've actually run the array a few times up in Alaska.

please explain more...

Mr. Anderson
May 23, 2002, 09:38 PM
Go to google and do a search on HAARP you'll get a whole bunch of crazy stuff.

But here are some key ones:

http://server5550.itd.nrl.navy.mil/projects/haarp/ - official site

http://www.leadingedgenews.com/angels.htm - crazy zealot site, don't believe much of what's written, its not true, but it does have some interesting stuff about Tesla that's valid and really wild.

Here's a pic I took at the site one day in Feb. 1997