PDA

View Full Version : yet another guitar thread

jefhatfield
Jan 8, 2004, 08:02 PM
how many of you out there play guitar, write songs, sing, etc?

Rower_CPU
Jan 8, 2004, 09:41 PM
I'm almost 5 months along with my guitar learning since my birthday present in August, and I've sung informally for a while.

I've dabbled in writing, too, but nothing serious.

manitoubalck
Jan 8, 2004, 10:11 PM
I bought an Ibanez AEL-20 just before christams.
It's fantastic

mnkeybsness
Jan 8, 2004, 10:15 PM
i attempted learning guitar last year using my friend's guitar. i ran in to a slight problem with having cut the middle of my left hand open with a knife and losing all feeling in my index and middle fingers (by accident... long story) in 7th or 8th grade. i have played the violin since third grade... still get around to playing now and then... anyway, back to my problem... since playing violin and typing were the only activities that my left had did while rehabilitating my hand, i have a very very hard time adjusting to doing new things with my left hand. it's taken me a few years just to be able to throw a yo-yo into a sleeper (i've also been yo-yoing since third grade :)..

so in short... no... i can't play guitar.

alxths
Jan 8, 2004, 10:20 PM
I've got a standard strat, a cheap acoustic and a beeeeautiful marshal tsl-602 amp... I've been playing for a few years and'll be getting a vintage jazzmaster as soon as i find myself a wee job.

Flowbee
Jan 8, 2004, 11:01 PM
I'm a drummer, primarily. I also play a bit of guitar and keyboard. I've been learning to play the chromatic accordion for the past 6 months.

I currently use Ableton Live for composing and remixing... and I'm really looking forward to firing up GarageBand!

tpjunkie
Jan 9, 2004, 07:49 AM
I've been playing for a while, I have a cheapo classical, and i just bought a JB Player Electric (I'd have spent more money, but lefty guitars usually have about a 40 dollar mark-up, so the fender strat was a little out of reach)

bankshot
Jan 9, 2004, 10:54 AM
I got my first guitar for Christmas of my senior year in high school (Christmas '91) and have been playing ever since. I'd had a very strong musical background growing up (mostly keyboard, plus trumpet in school band) so picking up the guitar was pretty easy. Never took formal lessons.

Now I have 5 guitars - a Peavy Wolfgang, Ernie Ball Music Man (EVH signature), my original Peavy Predator that I got 12 years ago, and a crappy Fender Squire that was signed by all 4 members of Van Halen (won in a contest). Oh, and a Washburn acoustic. Can you tell I like Van Halen (when they used to be a real band)? :p

I have an old PowerMac 7600 with Digital Performer running on OS 8.6. I used to write and record songs a lot, but my life has gotten much busier in the last several years so I hardly have time anymore. That's the main reason why I haven't bothered to upgrade Digital Performer and put it on my G4 running Panther. Pictures of my guitars and studio are here (http://www.bikegods.org/mike/studio.shtml). They were taken in 1998 and I've moved 3 times since then, so a bit out of date but you get the idea. Also some links to some of my music for those who like to be sonically tortured. ;)

Can't sing worth a darn, wish I could (I have a good ear but the voice has a mind of its own :D). Also - about the lefty guitar thing. I never understood that. I'm left handed, but when you're learning something brand new, what difference does it make which hand you use for fingering vs. picking? If I turn my guitar around and try to play it backwards, it feels just like the first day I picked one up and tried to play. I can't tell that there would have been any difference choosing one way or the other at the start. Things are just much easier if you learn it the "normal" way and then you don't have to pay the premium for lefty guitars. Just a thought. :)

vollspacken
Jan 9, 2004, 11:31 AM
I play bass guitar but only play once in a while right now (university, partying and work does not leave me much time for that...)

I'm a Fender-man though :)

vSpacken

tpjunkie
Jan 9, 2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I know, when i first started taking lessons my instructor told me things would probably be easier for me if i could play righty, but honestly, everything just felt wrong when i was strumming with my right hand and fretting with my left...

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bankshot
Can you tell I like Van Halen (when they used to be a real band)? :p

[thread hijak] HAHAHA, when was van halen a REAL band ;) :p :p ?? [/thread hijak]

Geetar
Jan 9, 2004, 12:34 PM
Geetar's the name......because it sounded better (not to mention shorter) than "FormerBassistWithTendonDamageInRightHand."

I'm working on converting myself from a semi-crocked version of John Paul Jones into a passably bad pastiche of Trevor Rabin. Yeah, I know, wish me luck- I'll need it.

My main guitars are '61 Gibson LP/SG Standard (modded to a stop-tail by its previous owner) and '60 Gibson 345, with Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Standard and Custom on the way (waahooo!).

As I'm Sales Manager of a Guitar Amp and Pro-Audio Co., I figure I've got a good excuse for this unreasonable excess:D

jefhatfield
Jan 9, 2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
I bought an Ibanez AEL-20 just before christams.
It's fantastic

that is a great guitar...while i love all guitars and have owned a lot of different instruments, i am a huge fan of classic kiss and this model is one similar to what paul stanley (guitarist, singer, co-leader) plays

other kiss guitars i have owned, not really owned by the band members but same model, have been a cherry sunburst les paul custom and off white stratocaster (ace frehley), a pair of '67 reissue flying Vs and a couple of L6-S solidbodies(paul stanley), and and ltd esp viper 301 (bruce kulick)

the viper, however, is an off the rack model and is very similar to the bruce kulick signature model which is not made anymore...when i got my viper a couple of years ago, i emailed bruce kulick about it and he emailed me back which really surprised the heck out of me

as for kiss guitars, the most famous guitars they are known for are the ibanez icemans that paul stanley plays and used to endorse (he is with silvertone guitars now) and the kramer axe shaped bass that gene simmons often wields in concert complete with fake blood stains on it to approximate the fake blood he likes to spit up onstage...it's the one thing about a kiss concert which i found gross and in bad taste

...at least he doesn't bit the heads off of bats like that other rockstar:p

maluscanis
Jan 9, 2004, 01:05 PM
I have been playing for about three years now. I play primarily fingerstyle acoustic and have begun to delve into some celtic music (very fast and difficult for the right hand, the left is fairly easy). I also do some light strumming and enjoy playing Dave Matthew's songs.

I am actually in the process of building a guitar right now. Looks to be like a very difficult but worthwhile project.

jefhatfield
Jan 9, 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by maluscanis
I have been playing for about three years now. I play primarily fingerstyle acoustic and have begun to delve into some celtic music (very fast and difficult for the right hand, the left is fairly easy). I also do some light strumming and enjoy playing Dave Matthew's songs.

I am actually in the process of building a guitar right now. Looks to be like a very difficult but worthwhile project.

good luck in your guitar project

thinner top bracing makes for a better sound but is prone to warping over time...spruce sounds the best for a top but does not look as sexy as mahogany or koa...a large lower bout can really make for good bass response but gets too unstable structurally after a certain size...smaller bodies can cut through on the high frequencies but lose middle and lower frequency volume if the body is too small...mostly it's all about compromises

it's such a great challenge that acoustic guitar builders have struggled with for a long time and many still feel the run of the mill dreadnaught, which the vast majority of acoustic steel strings still look like, is the best design for tone and stability over time and is best in the recording studio and in most live performances *up to a certain size

i really like the martin 000 size even though it does not have the power of a full sized dreadnaught acoustic...i used to have a 00-17 and the thing was great for small venues but was a bear to record because it lacked power compared to the standard sized guitar but it really sang on the high registers and cut through the mix

on electric guitars, the woods are less important for tone and structural reliability, but they still do affect the tone and overall feel of a guitar...in the 70s the belief for getting great sustain was acheieved through a combination of passive electronics and very massive heavy woods (the gibson les paul and yamaha sg-2000 models), but a much more economical combination, not to mention much more comfortable on one's back and shoulders, was found in using the very lightweight basswood (used in a lot of jackson, kramer, ibanez, and charvel superstrats) and that new trend for lightweight instuments and sustain was huge in the 80s...today many players have reverted to the heavier les pauls if sustain is what they are after

of course having highly amped up pickups in an electric cancels out all need for great tonewoods when it comes to sustain so that has really opened up a whole lot of design options and now more than ever the electric guitar maker is not so tied into using traditional shapes and woods for their instuments...but of course the huge demand for classic designs such as the les paul and stratocaster still remains since guitar players are slow to change, even when technology moves forward

...very different than computer users who welcome innovation and change and the newest, latest, baddest thing:D

coopdog
Jan 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
I thought guitars had strings, not threads.

crazytom
Jan 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
My guitars: Blond Fender Strat, Les Paul Studio, Guild D-40, G&L SC-3, a generic classical and 12-string. I've played in a band for the last 8 years; currently on hold while we look for a new singer (apply within!)

jefhatfield
Jan 9, 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by coopdog
I thought guitars had strings, not threads.

actually guitars do wear threads...they are so sexy when they only have a g-string on;)

ffakr
Jan 9, 2004, 01:49 PM
I've got a 'Jap' strat that I've put a double coil "hot" lace sensor in. It's actually a very nice playing guitar even though it was the low end fender before the Squiers came out. You just have to avoid using the Khaler trem.
I've also got an Ibanez RG570 that I stripped to bare wood and sealed. Floyd Rose, no pick guard, dual/single/single
I just picked up a Johnson modeler for $99 and Musicians friend and it sounds great through my cheapo Fender HOT practice amp.
I also picked up a Bazooke in Greece but it was cheaply made and the top is warped. I need cut a custom, wider bridge to fix the action. It's fun though.. like a big mandolin (but hard to hold).

I'm hoping to pick up a nice acoustic (I like Taylor for warm sound at a reasonable price, but I'd love a Guild 12 string).
I'd also like a nice hard tail too.. something LesPaul-ish or a semi-hollow body. Tremelos are a pain in the ass.

jefhatfield
Jan 9, 2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ffakr

I've also got an Ibanez RG570 that I stripped to bare wood and sealed

i am going to do this with my esp viper electric which have low gain/medium gain passive pickups so it can affect the tone noticeably

john lennon did this with his tobacco sunburst epiphone hollowbody and he stripped it and lightly sealed it and it basically looks like a blond hollowbody and epiphone makes reissues of the guitar with its heavy sunburst finish on it and the stripped one which i really like

the beatles did that to some of their guitars in the studio to get a more "live" tone out of their guitars and swore by that method...it didn't look so hot, but when you are recording, it's only what people hear is what matters

CmdrLaForge
Jan 9, 2004, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I am playing guitar since 15 years. Well and I am singing as well, but only for me.

Sometimes I am writing songs. Have only written a few (19) so far. Takes a lot of time that I don't have any more.

I am playing mostly my Takamine Santa Fe or my Fender Strat. I have a 12 string as well.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

WinterMute
Jan 10, 2004, 06:30 PM
I'm a bassist, been playing for over 20 years, I currently use a Warwick Thumb 5-string which I've ha since 1988, and an Ampeg SVT 3 with an 8x10 cab.

Here's a rehersal pic from around then.

MattG
Jan 10, 2004, 08:05 PM
I play electric and acoustic guitar. I've got a custom-built Carvin Contour-66 electric, and a Fender DG22CE Acoustic-Electric.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattgudites/macrumors/carvin.jpg

FunkyGuitarGirl
Jan 10, 2004, 10:24 PM
Well, let's see...my posting name is FunkyGuitarGirl...

Indeed I do play...have been for 23 years now...whoa!

I own a mid-80s Tokai ATE-52 (52 telecaster remake), an Epiphone EJ-200.
I play through a Roland JC-120 and just recently bought a Boss GT-6 that I have just spent the evening tweaking for my rehearsal tomorrow.

You can check me out:

FunkyGuitarGirl (http://homepage.mac.com/funkyguitargirl)

and my band OKTBRWRLD (http://www.oktbrwrld.com) (October World)

3rdpath
Jan 11, 2004, 01:23 AM
a producer/songwriter by trade...and mainly play keyboards but somehow ended up doing many sessions/touring as a bassist thru the years.

i have 2 custom music man stingrays ( fretted/ fretless), a washburn acoustic/electric bass, a retired fender jazz special that i use for distracting my 3 year old daughter when she comes into the studio and a '72 tele deluxe for guitar noodling...

i've had the pleasure to play/write/hang with some of my favorite bassists thru the years( guy pratt, alfie aguis, randy jackson, victor wooten...). when i get around them i realize i should leave my basses on the wall and just stick to keys. humbling, oh so humbling...

sethypoo
Jan 11, 2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
actually guitars do wear threads...they are so sexy when they only have a g-string on;)

[Rolls eyes, shakes head, and logs off of computer].

WinterMute
Jan 11, 2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i've had the pleasure to play/write/hang with some of my favorite bassists thru the years( guy pratt, alfie aguis, randy jackson, victor wooten...). when i get around them i realize i should leave my basses on the wall and just stick to keys. humbling, oh so humbling...

Don't think that applies to multi-instrumentalists only, I spent some time the year before last with Tony Levin, even drunk he plays better bass than I ever played, and what he can't do on a Chapman Stick isn't worth doing.

I've recorded some truly excellent players over the years, it always makes me glad to have discovered I'm a better engineer than bassist, then I met George Massenburg...

3rdpath
Jan 11, 2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by WinterMute
Don't think that applies to multi-instrumentalists only, I spent some time the year before last with Tony Levin, even drunk he plays better bass than I ever played, and what he can't do on a Chapman Stick isn't worth doing.

I've recorded some truly excellent players over the years, it always makes me glad to have discovered I'm a better engineer than bassist, then I met George Massenburg...

too funny...and oh so true. tony is a monster, i loved when he had his 3 string bass made as a backlash to the 5/6/7 string basses. and george and his gml gear is the best. damn funny guy too.

i'll be at the l.a. namm show this week...it's always fun to hear the big guns doing their thing but what i really enjoy is walking the show and hearing some 8 year old kid with chops to die for. gives me hope in this day of autotune and edits...

jefhatfield
Jan 11, 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by FunkyGuitarGirl
Well, let's see...my posting name is FunkyGuitarGirl...

Indeed I do play...have been for 23 years now...whoa!

I own a mid-80s Tokai ATE-52 (52 telecaster remake), an Epiphone EJ-200.
I play through a Roland JC-120 and just recently bought a Boss GT-6 that I have just spent the evening tweaking for my rehearsal tomorrow.

You can check me out:

FunkyGuitarGirl (http://homepage.mac.com/funkyguitargirl)

and my band OKTBRWRLD (http://www.oktbrwrld.com) (October World)

wow, that is a great website!

i have always wanted to take a band far or go solo to the next level and making a true living but realized that doing so is probably one of the most difficult undertakings i could imagine:p

FunkyGuitarGirl
Jan 11, 2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
wow, that is a great website!

i have always wanted to take a band far or go solo to the next level and making a true living but realized that doing so is probably one of the most difficult undertakings i could imagine:p

Thanks for the compliment on the website.

Difficult is spending 40 hours a week working for someone other than yourself...I look forward to the challenge.

jefhatfield
Jan 12, 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by FunkyGuitarGirl
Thanks for the compliment on the website.

Difficult is spending 40 hours a week working for someone other than yourself...I look forward to the challenge.

if you can find the right group of people and they are substance free, then you are set

i dabbled in all kinds of music with bands since '81, but stuck with hard rock and punk the most

...and as you can imagine, band members and peers had a few issues which kept things hard to hold together....some perished in a fire in a drug house, one died of meth, one from powder cocaine, one sold their body for crack and was in and out of jail, one died of meth and alcohol, one died from AIDS, and if not in jail, most escaped the lifestyle of music and drugs/alcohol/unprotected sex when they got married or had kids and turned their focus elsewhere

with the rolling stones, the sex pistols, and jimmy hendrix as life role models, it is no wonder why it was hard for any band i was in or around to keep three or four people together consistently for a long enough time to record an album/cd or land a record deal or start a viable record label

i am from a small rural town and not from the big city or los angeles/new york music scenes...and of most of the deaths i heard of in my circle of local musicians made it past 27 unlike janis joplin, kurt cobain, brain jones, jim morrison, and jimi hendrix so i wouldn't characterize the local music scene where i am at on the same tragic level of the stuff i read about in rolling stone magazine

i own the video on the story of the temptations and that is a true rock and roll tragedy and of the five original temptations from the sixties, only one has survived and is amazingly still in the band as its leader (otis williams)

Dignan
Jan 12, 2004, 03:46 PM
My dad and I kinda collect them...here is what I can remember

1964 strat he has had since he was 12. Pre-buy out.

70s martin accoustic

Custom shop 1950's reissue telecaster, copper color, maple neck/fretboard (with carmal like finish to the maple)

1950s reissue tele in pale 50's pink, maple neck

1950's reissue of stratocaster, baby blue, maple neck

1960's reissue stratocaster, strawberry mist metallic...rosewood fretboard

A purpleish colored parker guitar. Super fly, somethin like that.

newer purple telecaster

Two newer martins, a DR, and a Jumbo of some sort.

Ibanez signature model of some guy ive never heard of. But great piccasso like finish on the guitar. (Faces, shapes)

A yamaha electric. (Pacifica i think) My first electric guitar.

A 1970s accoustic electric jazz style ibanez thats beautiful. Had it restored a while back.

Also, a ukulele.