Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FizzZ*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
hi all..

i read in one of the threads that i can install windows on my mac instead of buying a whole new windows computer! can you please tell me and help me how to do that? i do have a steam account, and counter strike is my favo game i play it at net cafes because i have a mac at home, i love my mac i love my games but counter strike is always the my favo and i will have to get windows to play it at home.

i just ned to know also if i install windows on my mac does that mean i cant use my mac anymore? for an example can i just switch from windows and CS to my mac version and play halo without installing again and again?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
There's a couple of ways of tackling this, and I'll run past the only one that works well for gaming: Boot Camp.

Essentially. Boot Camp creates a partition on your hard drive where you then install Windows, though you have to have a fresh copy of either XP (at least SP2) or Vista. From then on it's more or less a Windows machine while you're running Windows.

As for being able to still use Leopard, absolutely. You'll have to reboot to switch operating systems, but it's more than doable – I do so on my Mac Pro.

One last note: this is only possible on a Mactel (Intel-based Mac) – if you have a PPC system you're out of luck.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
for all the answers to your questions go to your Utilities folder and open Boot Camp Assistan. this application creates a partition for you to install Windows on and contains documentation on how to do this. Boot Camp is the best way to play Windows games on your Mac.

for info on the different ways to install Windows on your Mac take a look at MacRumor's Guide article on this.

HINT!: to read the Boot Camp documentation without printing it go to Finder and select "Go To Folder…" from the Go menu, copy and paste this directory into the window /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and press Go then open Documentation.pdf.

FizzZ*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
There's a couple of ways of tackling this, and I'll run past the only one that works well for gaming: Boot Camp.

Essentially. Boot Camp creates a partition on your hard drive where you then install Windows, though you have to have a fresh copy of either XP (at least SP2) or Vista. From then on it's more or less a Windows machine while you're running Windows.

As for being able to still use Leopard, absolutely. You'll have to reboot to switch operating systems, but it's more than doable – I do so on my Mac Pro.

One last note: this is only possible on a Mactel (Intel-based Mac) – if you have a PPC system you're out of luck.

what is a PPC ? anything you need to know about my mac ask me and i will tell u about it, if i have to upgrade things then i'll have to. thanks by the way you explaind a lot.

FizzZ*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
for all the answers to your questions go to your Utilities folder and open Boot Camp Assistan. this application creates a partition for you to install Windows on and contains documentation on how to do this. Boot Camp is the best way to play Windows games on your Mac.

for info on the different ways to install Windows on your Mac take a look at MacRumor's Guide article on this.

HINT!: to read the Boot Camp documentation without printing it go to Finder and select "Go To Folder…" from the Go menu, copy and paste this directory into the window /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and press Go then open Documentation.pdf.

hmm that explaind a lot too.. but what i dont know is, is my computer qualified to have boot camp? is it strong enough to accept bootcamp and install qindows to my comuter? my computer is:

eMac OS X Version 10.3.9
processor 1.25 GHz PowerPC G$
memory 256 MB DDR SDRAM

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
PPC = PowerPC = the G3, G4, and G5 chips that were released after the 680x0 chips and before the Intel-based Macs. Your eMac is the spitting image of a PPC-based Mac, and it's impossible to install Windows via Boot Camp on your computer. Your only options are to buy a new Mactel or buy/build yourself a PC.

FizzZ*

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
PPC = PowerPC = the G3, G4, and G5 chips that were released after the 680x0 chips and before the Intel-based Macs. Your eMac is the spitting image of a PPC-based Mac, and it's impossible to install Windows via Boot Camp on your computer. Your only options are to buy a new Mactel or buy/build yourself a PC.

aw ok isee ... i guess buying a windows computer would be cheaper, thanks a lot for your help dude :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.