Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rene90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I am planing on buying a macbook for university this year. At the moment apple has a promotion that you receive a free ipod touch with the purchase of any macbook for university students. The promotion goes till the 15th of September, i was wondering on what the chances are that they come out with new re-vamped macbooks and or ipod touches by then? Should i wait all the way till the 15th to buy it? I know no one can say for certain but any advice would help.

Thanks

Rene90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Thats what i am thinking of doing but i am so eager to get it and i don't want to be installing a bunch of software and all the Microsoft office stuff and spending all my time trying to figure out how it all works (will be my first mac) during the second week of my first year at university.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
there won't be much to install, and what you do have won't take long.
The learning curve is the only thing to take into consideration.
And if you really wanna play the odds you can not open your mb for two weeks after you get it, just to see what might come out at the end of the month. If you think it's better and worth getting you can return your mb at no cost. And if you open it it will only be a %10 restocking fee.

Metuas

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
Let's just say, for the sake of this argument, that the new MacBooks come out September 25. No reason, but if rumors are right they should be out by then.

Buy your MacBook on September 12. Receive the iPod touch rebate. Return the computer on the 25th, open box if you have to use it. That would cost you $100. Then get the new MacBook.

Doing this, you should be able to get a new MacBook and an iPod touch, for $999, plus the $100 (10%) restocking fee. Sounds like a good deal to me.

takeabyteoutta

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
The new/revamped macbooks and ipods won't be covered in the promo deal, even if they do come out before the sept 15th cut-off. While the deal at the moment looks enticing, there are a few very good reasons to wait for the revamped macbooks and ipods.

The base line macbook is likely to be $1000, $100 lower than the current macbook and with the education discount, that could go as low as $900, but more likely $950.
In addition, the macbooks are expected to be upgraded to alum, be thinner, lighter, and incorporate multitouch in the trackpad. It's also rumored that a display may be placed under the trackpad. Other specs include a bigger HD, hopefully a DVD burner (they still got the combo drive)

The ipod prices are expected to be lowered, with usual spec increases. The nano is rumored to be getting a bigger display and being more narrow/zune like, if thats what you're interested in. multitouch is another possibility for the nano.

A general rule to note is that with macs, you're usually better off buying as soon as they update something, as you'll get the best value, since apple rarely drops prices.

Also, if you wait two or 3 weeks into the school year, you could potentially save as much, if not more by buying the updated macbook and ipod compared to the current macbook with free ipod deal, and you'll be getting better value for your $. I know going to the computer lab doesn't sound too great, but it's really not that bad and it'll prevent you from wasting time on things like facebook, etc.

Rene90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
So your saying if they come out with the new systems lets say September the 10th before the end of the promotion they would still force you to get the old laptop? I would of assumed that they would discontinue the old ones right away or at least let you get the new one.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
So your saying if they come out with the new systems lets say September the 10th before the end of the promotion they would still force you to get the old laptop? I would of taught that they would discontinue the old ones right away or at least let you get the new one.

i taught i sawt a putty cat.

sorry..just had to say that..

Rene90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
i taught i sawt a putty cat.

sorry..just had to say that..

I truly feel sorry for you. You who is too ignorant to realize that not everyones first language is English and believes that you know "so well" how to correctly use the English language and grammar. Because of this your feel you have the right, the privilege to make comments at the expense of those who weren't raised in an English environment. I will leave that at that as i have another question on this issue.

Should i get office 2008 for mac? I have read many negative reviews that it would seem like a waste of money. Is there any real alternative? Would iWorks be an alternative for a university student in a setting were most if not all will be using Microsoft Office? Are they compatible?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Forum Rules
Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal.

Regardless, i think rene90 took this way out of proportion and can't take a simple joke....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.