Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Right now I added a hitachi travelstar 7k200 and made my macbook pretty fast, but I am running my macbook with my 23" ACD and have 4 spaces open but when I change between spaces the graphics seems to be a bit slow.. will adding 4gb of RAM help?

Googon

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Probably. Although I wish I knew what processor you have so I can give you the exact answer. RAM will work the same whether it is 256mb, or 4gb, it matter how good your processor is, and how much RAM your applications use up.

EDIT:

Oh holy crap, I just read your SIG. And no I don't think adding more RAM will help when you have 16gb. That is over the limit, if you are opening enough applications to make you even consider you are using up 16gb of RAM, then your processor is probably on the fritz.

I suggest just waiting for the new Macbook to come out, and then pimp that out like you did with your current one.

(By the way if I knew where you lived, I would break into your house, kill you, and steal your MacBook Pro. NO REGRETS!)

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
with a display attached the MacBook splits its 144 MB of video RAM to the two screens. so the only way to better graphics performance is to use the MacBook in clamshell mode i.e. put it to sleep then wake using your keyboard and only use the external display.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I use the macbook in clamshell mode so that it will run the fastest. Its a 2.4Ghz white macbook with 2gb of ram. But I noticed that spaces works kind of laggy but I'm just curious if adding 4gb of RAM as to the stock 2gb would help any.

I guess I'll just have to find out as I just ordered 4gb of crucial.

Also if the x3100 runs out of the 144mb of vram doesnt it steal some of it from the RAM? I guess 4gb could help..

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Probably. Although I wish I knew what processor you have so I can give you the exact answer. RAM will work the same whether it is 256mb, or 4gb, it matter how good your processor is, and how much RAM your applications use up.

EDIT:

Oh holy crap, I just read your SIG. And no I don't think adding more RAM will help when you have 16gb. That is over the limit, if you are opening enough applications to make you even consider you are using up 16gb of RAM, then your processor is probably on the fritz.

I suggest just waiting for the new Macbook to come out, and then pimp that out like you did with your current one.

(By the way if I knew where you lived, I would break into your house, kill you, and steal your MacBook Pro. NO REGRETS!)

I just sold the mac pro that's on my sig as it just uses up too much electricity and I dont need nearly as much of its performance.

Anyway today I just picked up a macbook 2.4ghz model and I really dont care anymore if the new updates are coming with led screens or aluminum with montevina. This macbooks screen looks more than good enough for me and its more than fast enough for everything I do and I use it 90% in clamshell mode anyway, I guess I need to change my sig.

I sold the mac pro to break even and it feels great to have extra money in the bank! :p

Screwball

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
But you'll get a 2.4 MBP one of these days anyways because....because...i don't know you'll have one of your reasons..Spaces is going to scream on the MBP, but it will scream even more so on a 2.5 MBP....only to be surpassed by the 2.6 MBP, let alone a 17"! At the time you're thinking, you're there! Boy, are you not...but hey, you can always jump on the MP wagon! 100 threads in the meantime, preferably 1 every 5 minutes to keep us posted about your ever changing ideas and views! But hey, it's ok, as long as you're not manipulative...i mean i don't think you are...:rolleyes:
The good thing is, we'll always be able to revel in your sig that ruthlessly clarifies, that without a doubt you were once a MP power user! Even if you're on a MB! I love an informative fellow! And of course you've got to admire the endless enthusiasm without proper knowledge!
Never mind, just the observer in me! :p

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
But you'll get a 2.4 MBP one of these days anyways because....because...i don't know you'll have one of your reasons..Spaces is going to scream on the MBP, but it will scream even more so on a 2.5 MBP....only to be surpassed by the 2.6 MBP, let alone a 17"! At the time you're thinking, you're there! Boy, are you not...but hey, you can always jump on the MP wagon! 100 threads in the meantime, preferably 1 every 5 minutes to keep us posted about your ever changing ideas and views! But hey, it's ok, as long as you're not manipulative...i mean i don't think you are...:rolleyes:
The good thing is, we'll always be able to revel in your sig that ruthlessly clarifies, that without a doubt you were once a MP power user! Even if you're on a MB! I love an informative fellow! And of course you've got to admire the endless enthusiasm without proper knowledge!
Never mind, just the observer in me! :p

Heh Heh Heh, its all good to me =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.