Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
After each major event, MacRumors provides a wrapup of rumors to reveal the sources of the most accurate and inaccurate information. Readers are encouraged to read our MacWorld Rumor Roundup that was written prior to the actual event.

As far as MacWorld Expos go, pre-Expo hype was somewhat subdued this round -- except perhaps for the extensive coverage of Mini iPod rumors that exploded across the web in the days before the event.

Mini iPods

Actual "Mini" iPod rumors first originated on MacRumors' Page 2 of all places. (Page 2 was formed to serve as a webpage that reports on uncertain rumors and other dubious content.) This first "Mini" report pointed to 2GB sizes and multiple colors, which turned out to be partially correct.

Prior to this report, AppleTurns had predicted the coming of "modestly-featured and modestly-priced" entry level iPods arriving at MacWorld Expo.

AppleInsider added the possibility of a 4GB configuration while ThinkSecret cited "reliable sources" that new 2GB and 4GB iPods would offer multiple colors (including stripes) and also "start at around $100US". Finally, MacRumors sources confirmed the mini-physical-size of the new iPods as well as one of the planned colors (gold).

As readers are painfully aware, the new iPods did not completely match the rumored sources. No 2GB size was introduced, and the price point was much higher than some reports had suggested. However, there is enough correlation (Mini iPod, 4GB Size, Colors) that one can not write off the rumors as complete fabrication, suggesting that 2GB devices may have been or continue to be in the works in Apple's labs.

Of interest however... was the emergance of many accurate details on a last minute Page 2 report. Posted on the day prior to the Keynote, the latest report seemed to have most of the elements of the new announcement ($249 "credit card" sized iPod) but at the same time this information was overshadowed by some other inaccuracies in the report (10,000 songs).

iApps

Apple trademarked Garage Band in September 2003, spawing significant (and apparently justified) speculation. Rumors of a new consumer audio app and pro audio app circulated, but even with firm confirmation of its release, the details were only revealed in the same curious Page 2 report that revealed much of the iPod Mini information.

Meanwhile ThinkSecret accurately reported that iLife would see updates while MacRumors sources provided some small details to the new iApp revisions.

Xserve G5

Xserve G5 updates have been long in the coming, and we finally received confirmation of the impending release. After a premature prediction of Xserve updates, Appleinsider since was able to provide a brief but accurate description of the new Xserves ("3 drive bays, as opposed to 4, separated by two circular openings on the front of the chassis").

PowerMac Updates?

Despite "corroborating" reports from Appleinsider that PowerMacs would see updates at MacWorld San Francisco, true to ThinkSecret's predictions we saw no PowerMac updates at MacWorld. With 90nm PowerPCs now in production, we should expect the new PowerMacs to take advantage of this new technology. Readers are cautioned, however, that the accuracy of recent PowerPC rumors remain in question as at least one has been shown to be incorrect (regarding SSOI technology).

Fakes

Perhaps the most vocal reports surrounding the weeks prior to the expo were those of fake product images and product descriptions that propogated over the Mac Web. With all eyes on Apple as well as the proliferation of Mac Rumor sites, individuals frequently attempt to catch their 15 minutes of fame prior to the event in order by fabricating rumors.

This time these came in the form of fake iTunes screenshots, the Apple iBox and even an entire fake Xserve G5 reseller website. Readers are reminded that anonymous rumor submissions to these random sites are rarely accurate, and that resellers are not privy to early product knowledge.

Summary

No single site came out on top this round. Rumors from each of the major rumor sites have had only partial accuracy. However, of most interest is that MacRumors' Page 2 has actually been a source of some accurate information, despite the inability to confirm most of the information provided.

Readers are reminded that non-Expo related announcements are quickly becoming the norm so we may see more product updates in the coming weeks.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Great wrapp up arn what amused me the most was the fact that all of us more or less fell for the 99 iPods and the shear shock at the price when they did inform us Clap Clap I THINK NOT!!!!

what i want ot know is whats next for us can we expect new eMacs etc and Powerbooks

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Yeah, thanks for the excellent pre- and post-MacWorld coverage. I really didn't feel like staying up from 2 AM to 4 AM to watch the keynote. ;)

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, is announced to celebrate 20 Years of MacIntosh.

Squire

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Great coverage of the entire Expo! Thanks, Arn!

Now I wonder when Apple will release the following:
Safari 2
AppleWorks 7
Keynote 2
Power Mac G5 Updates
New Displays
Maybe a Mac to celebrate its 20th anniversary?

These items all seem due/overdue for updates.

robsworld

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
iBox = EyeHome

The iBox arrived! But not from Apple. The iBox is ElGatos EyeHome!!!!

rob

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think the biggest news is how little news there really was. This may be the beginning of a new era, when Macworld matters less and less. I think Jobs is starting to look for even bigger stages for product announcements, to reach past the die-hard mac fans. I suspect we're going to see at least one big announcement at the Super Bowl, and several smaller ones that play off this big one.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I remember seeing a rumor that Newtek Lightwave 8 would be coming out at MWSF - well that didn't happen :( Hopefully like some of the other rumors, we'll see them sooner than later.

D

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by wordmunger
I think the biggest news is how little news there really was.

I would have to agree with wordmunger. Nothing exceptional happened this year. I can remember waiting in anticipation at last years event, and was not disappointed. This year, I didn't even watch the webcast. I guess Steve will have to find new ways to WOW us...

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
Garage Band is bigger than you think...

I think it's important not to understate the importance of Garage Band (can we all agree that it should be 2 words, not 1?).

Steve-O essentially announced that every Mac nows does a whole new thing. Sure, programs like this exist elsewhere, but GB is clearly a consumer product - cheap and easy. I think this will just grow and grow and grow.

Digital Photography doesn't have quite the same "eureka" moment, but consider that even just 2 years ago no one was really using digital cameras. Now, it's an essential part of how we use our Macs.

I think GB will be the same. Maybe bigger since there's really NOTHING that competes with it on Windows.

Since I already have a laptop and an ipod, I'm not really in the market for lots of new hardware (Although an Apple-branded PDA would still be nice). To me, hardware announcements are cool and all, but they don't do anything for me.

But now my existing hardware does a whole new thing. That's pretty cool.

todd

MattMass

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
I just wanted to say that it is not accurate to say the resellers are not privy to advanced product information.

While I am no longer there, I used to work for an education reseller. Before the release of the G5, we were told directly by an apple rep that we should get rid of our PowerMac stock because new models with a "new processor" would be announced soon.

I'm sure that this is rather rare, as we were a big store, and we did a ton of Apple buisness.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
As usual, good job Arn.

The expo seemed to not equate to the hype to some but the ironic thing is the hype is fueled by those in the rumor sites who get all frothy expecting things like $99 iPods. Same thing happened when many in these same forums were expected the G5 Powerbook, etc. etc. Which is okay but don't blame Apple, they haven't promised so much of the expectations we somehow expect of them out of air. Now if they don't follow through on the 3 GHz by a year from the WWDC (or at least announcing when) then yes, a reason to get angry.

That being said it was a pretty good expo and there's enough chatter in the channels that Apple/His Steveness have quite a bit more surprises coming in the, oh, next few weeks actually. Also unravel the mindset that new stuff comes out only at the Macworld/Other Events, Apple has broken from that starting with the White G3 iBook, iPod, etc. etc. Keep you expectation in check and you shall be blessed with many surprises, some I should mention, much sooner than later.

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
the end of marketing & release religion

I think visiting a Fair like Macworld is still OK if you want to physically see and touch all the newest Mac compatible products together in one place before you buy.

But using it as a forum for product-announces - especially if you can't even buy them next couple of months - is not only a disaster, it's a totally outdated way of consumer - what: pleasing? pampering? spoiling? treatment? care? massage? In that case the massage is the message.

I know, most Apple consumers were or still are more like fans than normal consumers. That's why they tend(ed) to accept even huge disappointments from the Master himself. But these times are over, I guess. Now that we finally have seen the G5-promise come true, we are never more going to take anything less than the very powerfull and innovative any more.

Apple knows that and will do everything to avoid possible overexpectations at the biannual tradeshows. That's why they are eventually downgrading the Macworld-hoopla step by step. It will be duller and duller to be there at future Macworlds.

Instead - many already mentioned this - Apple is going to introduce and update products as soon as they are ready. Just like the other companies. If it's a big update, go tell the world on a press conference. Otherwise a press release will do.

Even macfundamentalists don't need religious gatherings anymore where you have to worship his Steveships sermons on minor software improvements. Or have to cheer the proud announcement of millions of converts who fell for toys like the iPod.

No, from now on we only want Products with a big P and that as soon as possible - not presented as gifts from the gods, but as the logical fruits from hard & smart labour. We want it now, or at least yesterday.

Amen

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Even MacWhispers got one right

A long time ago, MacWhispers (is that site just dead now?) claimed that Apple was producing a combined USB/Firewire cable. Turns out they were right... it's the Mini's connect cable.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Re: Garage Band is bigger than you think...

Originally posted by jesuscandle
I think it's important not to understate the importance of Garage Band (can we all agree that it should be 2 words, not 1?).

Steve-O essentially announced that every Mac nows does a whole new thing.
I couldn't agree more. I think Garage Band is nothing less than revolutionary (in typical Apple style). It doesn't only allow your hardware to do a new thing... it is another example of Apple's Power-to-the-People role in society, and a very important one.

Lots of people have computers for one reason or another. And anyone can buy a used USB Mac for $400 or less. For an additional $49 for iLife, they then have access to and control over a complete recording studio.

Anyone with a musical instrument or an additional $99 for a keyboard can now produce music pretty much on par with stuff from the multi-billion dollar music companies.

And on that same Mac they can then burn CDs or rip MP3s and distribute their music in any way they please.

Music is one of the strongest voices of the people... usually much stronger than the written word, because it is so much more accessable and enjoyable.

This really is a revolution. Perhaps even bigger than the laser printer was for the printing industry. Just wait and see the waves of change start rolling.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
nice...

Attachments

• apple g5 xserve.jpg
    apple g5 xserve.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 996

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
iBox

It will be interesting to see how EyeHome (and that other AAC-capable competitor -- I forget its name) fares on the market. People seemed to be fairly excited about it, and if it takes off then Apple will absolutely HAVE to enter that market, unless they plan to license the DRM to these companies. Since they haven't already, I'm guessing they might have a set-top box up their sleeves. No set-top box is complete without the ability to play iTunes-protected AAC...

But we know they won't call it an iBox.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by PowerBook User
Great coverage of the entire Expo! Thanks, Arn!

Safari 2
AppleWorks 7
Keynote 2
Power Mac G5 Updates
New Displays

These items all seem due/overdue for updates.

I agree, great job as usual arn thank you. Amazed at how you are able to manage your time so well.

That is a good list of what we are waiting for PowerBook user. Those that wait will be rewarded.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Originally posted by PowerBook User
Safari 2
AppleWorks 7
Keynote 2
Power Mac G5 Updates
New Displays
Not to mention:

Filemaker 7
iWrite or a port of http://koffice.org/
iBox or something
iServe or some kind of home server
iPhone or iPad (one can wish, can't one?)

Not that I'm complaining about the great stuff out so far.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Re: the end of marketing & release religion

Originally posted by groov'
I think visiting a Fair like Macworld is still OK if you want to physically see and touch all the newest Mac compatible products together in one place before you buy.

But using it as a forum for product-announces - especially if you can't even buy them next couple of months - is not only a disaster, it's a totally outdated way of consumer - what: pleasing? pampering? spoiling? treatment? care? massage? In that case the massage is the message.

I know, most Apple consumers were or still are more like fans than normal consumers. That's why they tend(ed) to accept even huge disappointments from the Master himself. But these times are over, I guess. Now that we finally have seen the G5-promise come true, we are never more going to take anything less than the very powerfull and innovative any more.

Apple knows that and will do everything to avoid possible overexpectations at the biannual tradeshows. That's why they are eventually downgrading the Macworld-hoopla step by step. It will be duller and duller to be there at future Macworlds.

Instead - many already mentioned this - Apple is going to introduce and update products as soon as they are ready. Just like the other companies. If it's a big update, go tell the world on a press conference. Otherwise a press release will do.

Even macfundamentalists don't need religious gatherings anymore where you have to worship his Steveships sermons on minor software improvements. Or have to cheer the proud announcement of millions of converts who fell for toys like the iPod.

No, from now on we only want Products with a big P and that as soon as possible - not presented as gifts from the gods, but as the logical fruits from hard & smart labour. We want it now, or at least yesterday.

Amen

I disagree with your take on Macworlds. I think Apple wants them to be huge every year and does not want to introduce new products in between expos. The hype preceding expos is what the Dell's of the world could only dream of, it is part of the culture of being a Mac user. Don't think that Steve and his marketing department isn't well aware of this already.

The reason that this Macworld was so underwhelming is because Apple has already shot their load. They've introduced Panther, the G5, the iTMS and there isn't much new being introduced.

Sure speed bumps and new monitors and all sorts of other less sexy product announcements will occur between expos but I think that Apple will almost always save the good stuff for an expo, you can't buy the buzz that these expos create, it's huge for Apple and their image (read: cult following). And I know there will be exceptions and I'll eat my words but my point is that big products announcements at Macworlds aren't going away.

I'm sure there are a few things in the products development pipeline that will make for more exciting future expos.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Re: Re: Garage Band is bigger than you think...

Originally posted by Toe
I couldn't agree more. I think Garage Band is nothing less than revolutionary (in typical Apple style). It doesn't only allow your hardware to do a new thing... it is another example of Apple's Power-to-the-People role in society, and a very important one.

And I couldn't agree with you more- especially with your use of the word revolutionary to describe it. In a nutshell, Apple has once again changed the way we think about music. I bet that in the not too distant future, free music-swapping will once again run rampant. Except this time, it will be a bunch of amateur musicians sharing stuff they've done with GarageBand.

I love it.

As for toning down MacWorld Expos, I think, to a certain degree, they want to do this. However, as another poster mentioned, they will most likely continue to introduce some new products there. To do away with the awe surrounding an Expo would be a bad move.

Squire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.