Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
I am sooooooo eager to get my teen aged hands on a new powerbook, but want the best, as I am spending my entire savings account and don't have a job, yet.

Should I buy the current 12" PB, or should I wait, until Jan 20, when PM G5 updates are rumored to happen, or in June at the WWDC, when I'm 85% sure they'll be updated. if the PB G5 comes out, what will it do to the cost of the G4 and the guts of the G4?

I don't know what to do!:(

By the way, I just bought a case for my future 'Book. So not buying a 'book is not an option. I was watching the keynote from a store and hungrily eyed the balistic nylon case.....

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Always wait as long as you can.

According to the MacRumors Buyers Guide there is 50 days before it hits the average date of updates.

At this point, I'd hold out for the next revision even if it's only a minor G4 Speed Bump, it would be worth it.

Personally, I'm gonna wait to see if they'll give us G5s by the end of the year.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2002
Powerbooks have incredibly high re-sale value, check ebay to see what I'm talking about.

What would be your primary purpose for the computer? Would you really need a minor update?

-cody

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
I don't need power, but a 64 MB GPU in the 12" pB would be kick Åss! I just would feel really crappy if I bought a PB for ~1500 (after student discount) and then a month or two later, for the same price I could have got a way faster, better one.

I got the best case I could afford. I especially like the embroided Apple logo on the front.:D
Kensington Bag

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i'm in the same boat as you.

i think g5's might be in the Pb's by the end of the year, but i need my new laptop for school in the fall.

i am hoping for a speed bump, graphics upgrade, and other minor improvements of some sort sometime in the spring before i buy.

the honest truth is that anything you buy will serve you well. since you are a student like i am and not some hardcore graphics dude, you really don't need a g5. yes, i do realize how cool it will feel to have a 64 bit processor in your lap, but whatever ever you buy will get the job done with ease.

with that said, wait till the end of the spring before you buy.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
PB G5?!

I don't know if that is possible, at least not with the 970 or 980 chip. Maybe if they got a super duper low power G5 chip, but imagine how they would cool that? Steve said that cooling the Xserve G5 was a very hard thing to do, and thats 1.5 in thick, 19 in wide, and about 30 in deep. They would have to put so much into the cooling that the batt life would suck royally, and the 'Book woul hover because of the fans. I saw a pict of a rendering of a hovering g5 somewhere on the net, but where? i dunno.:(

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Here is my view.

If you want a laptop in the near future, buy a G4 Alubook now. ANY revision to the current model will be very very slight. there isn't much more Apple can do.

The G5 powerbook may see a lot of upgrades, but that may not be until October. Even still - it's a RevA. Buy now, use it now, love it now.

diggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
nyc ny
which p book

if you are a student and are not going to do big graphics jobs..why are you going
nuts waiting for a powerbook which will be over-kill for you anyways?

get and ibook..
get last years ibook and save a fortune
it will probably work great for you.

getting into the "waiting for the update craze" is exactly what companies want you to do, but completely unecessary..
unless your work is highly specialized.

I used to say and practice,
...never spend more than 2k on all your computer stuff per year and buy last years computer..
it comes cheap and is still plenty of computer..

don't be a sap and fall for the hype..
as a matter of fact instead of a P-book
why don't you just buy a good book-book.
you'll learn more about life, they are only
like $20 at Barnes & Noble and you
will probably learn more reading one or two great books than having any computer...and the books (need a reading list?) will retain their value or gain value
and stay with you for your whole life...
'
not like computers...

take good advice now...
and you won't end up being a sap for
tech companies..while becoming an enlightened person...* this will help you
a lot in life, more than any speed bump
on a processor

so I say...real books..fiction..great fiction'
and perhaps anbuy ibook...

In the tech race...never wait..

sorry about the lecture..
but this is good advice.

peace out

cadethoerk

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2004
caution

Anybody looking to buy an Ibook should be warned that there is a logic board defect. Google Ibook logic board failure and you will find petitions and a class action lawsuit pending. They last about 13 months and if you don't pay the apple care extortion fee for extended coverage you have a paper wieght. Powerbooks like mine Al Book 1.25, seem ok so far, I hope time will not uncover any problems.

diggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
nyc ny
pbooks

meanwhile agter my huffing and puffing..
I just bought a p-book 1.25 refurbed..
but I am a graphics dog...

could use a G-6..but need mobility.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
If you listen to all the comments made by Apple since the G5's were introduced last year, Powerbook G5's are some time away. Steve Jobs said ' before the end of year (2004)'. I think it is unlikely that G5 Powerbooks will be available before Sept 2004 and more than likely there will be a final G4 speedbump around March.

The trouble with computer's is no matter what or when you buy, a faster one will be out a few months later. The good news is Macs tend to last longer than PC's, and their resale value is much better.

diggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
nyc ny
waiting for the newest thing

unless they are prehistoric,
carpenter can't blame their tools..

never wait..
the time you spent waiting could've been put to good use and uptimately more valuable than the few hundred $ or 25 more hghtz...

can't wait for my new-refurb p-book to show up.....drooling.

if anyone has $2000 they would like to donate to me, I am not too proud:D

db

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.