PDA

View Full Version : Depressed teenagers, post here

jeff.macaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 03:59 AM
entertain the king, or rather second in command of depressed, currently girlfriendless, teens.

Describe yourself, and your daily happenings/activities.

It is 2:00 AM here. I have insomnia. He he, heheheheehe haahahahahahahaahahahahah!!!!!

sethypoo
Jan 9, 2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by jeff.macaddict
entertain the king, or rather second in command of depressed, currently girlfriendless, teens.

Describe yourself, and your daily happenings/activities.

It is 2:00 AM here. I have insomnia. He he, heheheheehe haahahahahahahaahahahahah!!!!!

I'm a teenager, but I'm not depressed.

If you are, jeff.macaddict, try going to bed, no matter how appetizing your computer looks right now. I've found that sleep is key to relieving depression.

Sleep=fresh feeling=fresh outlook=fresh appearance=clear mind=Happiness. If that makes any sense.

Speaking of which, I am going to bed.
:)

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 04:07 AM
"Depressed teenagers, post here"!? Jesus christ, I thought that was what Blogger was for.

jeff.macaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 04:08 AM
It is 2:00 AM now, and for the past 4 1/2 hours I was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, so I turned on my trusty friend, er Mac, and started folding@home, and then went to MacRumors.

This thread got over ten views in 6 min with about 345 users online. I feel special.

Keep replying, people! :(

jeff.macaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 04:11 AM
"Depressed teenagers, post here"!? Jesus christ, I thought that was what Blogger was for.

I don't like blogger. It isn't user friendly. My mac, on the other hand, in combination with MacRumors powered by vBullitin.......

Besides, people can't reply to blogs, right?

sethypoo
Jan 9, 2004, 04:12 AM

Besides, people can't reply to blogs, right?

I thought they could. Huh, maybe I'm behind the times.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 04:13 AM
I don't like blogger. It isn't user friendly. My mac, on the other hand, in combination with MacRumors powered by vBullitin.......

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the point, flying right over your head!

sethypoo
Jan 9, 2004, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the point, flying right over your head!

I thought he made his point, as in it's not over his head.

Remember, he is depressed.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 04:23 AM
Well, I've gone through the depression blender plenty of times. But I'm just trying to be funny.

MoparShaha
Jan 9, 2004, 04:25 AM

jeff.macaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 04:25 AM
I was going to reply with a "ha ha" because it was funny, but didn't want to waste a post on nothing. Oops.

kettle
Jan 9, 2004, 04:48 AM

that's the badger!:)

latergator116
Jan 9, 2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I'm a teenager, but I'm not depressed.

If you are, jeff.macaddict, try going to bed, no matter how appetizing your computer looks right now. I've found that sleep is key to relieving depression.

Sleep=fresh feeling=fresh outlook=fresh appearance=clear mind=Happiness. If that makes any sense.

Speaking of which, I am going to bed.

Not when you have to go to school thenext morening.:(
But yes, sleeping temporarily releive stress/depression.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 9, 2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by latergator116
\But yes, sleeping temporarily releive stress/depression.

actually, being tired is a symptom of depression - its an escape of your problems by sleeping.

there are a number of ways you can fight depression - and one of them is knowing that no matter how bad you think you have it, someone has it worse. try not to dwell on what's got you down and do things that make you happy.

D

sonicbaz
Jan 9, 2004, 07:37 AM
I'm not a teenager and I am not depressed, but this is the best advice a young person can get.

Originally posted by sethypoo

[/B]

rainman::|:|
Jan 9, 2004, 09:24 AM
i'm not a teenager but i deal with clinical depression, and have, since i was young... right now i'm depressed *because* i'm not a teenager anymore... 21 years old, good age for a quarter-life-crisis. Anyhoo, my advice is simple: antidepressants, and lots of 'em. if i didn't have my wellbutrin, my world would collapse in a fiery ball of rage and self hatred. which is never good. if you don't have access to prescriptions, street drugs can work wonders at self-medicating. just be careful... but if it weren't for the saving numbness of street drugs, i doubt i would have survived adolescence.

paul

sethypoo
Jan 9, 2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i'm not a teenager but i deal with clinical depression, and have, since i was young... right now i'm depressed *because* i'm not a teenager anymore... 21 years old, good age for a quarter-life-crisis. Anyhoo, my advice is simple: antidepressants, and lots of 'em. if i didn't have my wellbutrin, my world would collapse in a fiery ball of rage and self hatred. which is never good. if you don't have access to prescriptions, street drugs can work wonders at self-medicating. just be careful... but if it weren't for the saving numbness of street drugs, i doubt i would have survived adolescence.

paul

Good Lord.....oops, wait, don't let this turn into a discussion of God, or God knows what will happen. :rolleyes:

I really, really hope you are joking paulwhannel.

iMax531
Jan 9, 2004, 12:44 PM
My friend's away message on AIM the other day:

"If I see one more depressed goth girl on amihotornot.com, I'm going to kill myself!"

Spock
Jan 9, 2004, 12:47 PM
Perhaps You all need Jesus.

King Cobra
Jan 9, 2004, 01:54 PM
my advice is simple: antidepressants, and lots of 'em. if i didn't have my wellbutrin, my world would collapse in a fiery ball of rage and self hatred. which is never good.

The ONLY reason (if even then) I see with drugs comes from taking them strictly as prescribed. Otherwise you end up abusing the "drug" and effectively wearing away brain cells, as well as physical and emotional awareness. (That happens even with a prescription, and that's why I see no reason for anti-depressants or the like.)

if you don't have access to prescriptions, street drugs can work wonders at self-medicating. just be careful... but if it weren't for the saving numbness of street drugs, i doubt i would have survived adolescence.

So you're saying that one's indulgement into physically and mentally altering and unnatural chemicals found outside of pharmaceutical centers benefits the individual by working "wonders" for emotional stability? Yet there are means, other than drug abuse, of recentering this balance between stability and keeping your brain cells. In particular, depending on the type of adolescence one has, one can focus less on the bothersome circumstances around him/her (bothersome for reminding the individual of something negative or discomforting). Drugs, however, are brain killers; effectively, they are suicide over a long period of time. (For those that do drugs, do you want to kill yourself? If so, then why are you waiting years for drugs to increase your risk of illness by a significant magnitude? If not, what reason do you have for being on them?)

As for the teenage depression thread itself:
Here is a forum (http://www.teenhelp.org/groups/) for both help and for casual conversation. (In the midst of the forums, you will notice that some of the casual bantering is mine own.)

latergator116
Jan 9, 2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
actually, being tired is a symptom of depression - its an escape of your problems by sleeping.

there are a number of ways you can fight depression - and one of them is knowing that no matter how bad you think you have it, someone has it worse. try not to dwell on what's got you down and do things that make you happy.

D

Sometimes I get this weird sort of depression where you are happy one second and then you see something or think of something (often very petty) that ruins you whole day. It can be sometimes be hard to do something that makes you happy because you don't really know what you want.

rueyeet
Jan 9, 2004, 04:19 PM
If your depression is in any part based on the "girlfriendless" state of affairs, you might benefit by trying to pin less of your emotional health on having a girlfriend, as well as making an attempt to figure out why you might be doing that. No other person should hold the entire key to your happiness--and what a heck of a responsibility to put on someone else!

What got me through youth and adolescence was simply the unshakable belief that things, eventually, must get better. This has yet to be disproven (even if sometimes, they must first get worse). ;)

scem0
Jan 9, 2004, 04:47 PM
Im not depressed, but I figured I'd post anyways.

First off, I have insomnia too. Well, it's been getting worse. I used to not be able to get to bed till 1:00 every night, but I was usually up till 1:30 or so, but now I'm up till at least 2:00. The weird thing is that I don't make up the sleep until the weekends, and I'm not really tired at school. Well, I guess it does kind of hit me 6th and 7th period, but I sleep those two periods (math and chemistry, arguably my 2 easiest classes) anyways.

This week has been especially bad. Mon night - 4:00, Tues Night - 3:00, Wed night - 2:30, Thurs. night - 1:30

I've never really been depressed in my life, to tell the truth. I'm generally a pretty happy guy. I have been kind of blah lately though. And by blah, I mean I haven't been extremely happy, but certainly not sad or depressed. Its probably because I'm feeling anxiety over where I am going to end up in life.

I love computers, yet I don't know what career path to take with them. Tech careers aren't near as good as they were 5-10 years ago too, which kind of sucks. I also love kung fu, acrobatics, and the like, which makes me very interested in being a stunt person. Like a stunt double for movies. I want to start getting very serious about my training in wushu and kung fu.

I am also feeling like a very boring person as of late. I find myself telling myself that I have nothing to live for. Not like I want to commit suicide or anything. But I have nothing to devote time and energy into. I don't really want to get a job, because... well... to be frank, work sucks, especially with the rates a 16 year old gets. My whole life I've had something which I've poured my energy and time into. 4 years ago it was diving. 2 years ago it was Starcraft. 7 years ago it was Mortal Kombat. I still play starcaft, but I'm not very interested in it anymore.

So, I'm anxious to find something that interests me deeply so I can devote myself to it, and maybe think about it as a career path.

But overall I'm happy :).

scem0

latergator116
Jan 9, 2004, 04:54 PM
What got me through youth and adolescence was simply the unshakable belief that things, eventually, must get better. This has yet to be disproven (even if sometimes, they must first get worse).

hehe... yeah, thats what I like to think sometimes. It actually helps a lot.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 05:19 PM
a few thoughts...

1. cheer the #$% up! think of the losers using peecees... at LEAST be happy that you have a mac for crying out loud...

2. girlfriendless= more money for your new g5 with the 90nm chip that apple is going to release soon... or for me, more money for my bike...

3. with all of the stuff on the news about the earthquake in iran, people-eating mountain lions, ruthless dictators, famine, etc... do any of us here in this country REALLY have all that much to b%^ch about? i mean... aside from the mountain lion people...

4. go look at the sunset tonight or the stars... or if its raining, listen to the rain and be amazed at how really wonderful this place is and how there is too much beautiful stuff to enjoy than to waste time being unhappy

:D

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Spock

If i looked to "Jesus" everytime -- never-mind this is not the place.

I'm not really depressed ... just stressed ... i flunked the first term of a class and now i'm stressed about making sure i pass the class and loose the credits i need to be allowed to continue in second year.

Since my parents are paying for school, i'm stressed about telling them ... they've been on vacation and they are supposed to be home in an hour and i know thats one of the first things they are going ask.

As far as girl problems --- read the last point of my signature, it speaks for itself.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by revenuee
As far as girl problems --- read the last point of my signature, it speaks for itself.

yeah... THATS a good quote... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

also, fix the spelling of "your" in the second quote about being an idiot in your signature... it should be "you're"

i think i've got cabin fever and i'm grouchy :D

everyone cheer UP! :D

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
yeah... THATS a good quote... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What, you've never been confused by a woman?

also, fix the spelling of "your" in the second quote about being an idiot in your signature... it should be "you're"

thanks --

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 05:39 PM
What, you've never been confused by a woman?

ALL the time... but i don't let it make an alcoholic out of me... :p

edit:... are we hijaking this thread...? :D

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
ALL the time... but i don't let it make an alcoholic out of me... :p

edit:... are we hijaking this thread...? :D

nah ... we're not hijacking yet :)

and as far as alcoholic ... well the story behind that quote is ... i went out with a few friends, had a some drinks, and when i woke in the morning i wasn't feeling good ... later that day the **** hit the fan with the girl i'm still not sure what exactly happened ... but i felt like crap ... and i came up with that "... drinking better then dating ... " quote

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 06:05 PM
it's really not worth getting upset over girls... there will always be more easy ones to get with and more nice ones to take out...

latergator116
Jan 9, 2004, 06:13 PM
Girls don't help if you are depressed and or stressed...just another thing to worry about.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 06:35 PM
Anyhoo, my advice is simple: antidepressants, and lots of 'em.

As someone who took antidepressants for much of his life, I inform you that what paulwhannel says is complete crap and his advice should not be followed by anyone. Zoloft almost destroyed my ability to concentrate and did destroy my ability to visualize things in my mind. And it did nothing to help my depression.

If you're depressed, evaluate your life, see what's wrong, and fix it.

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 06:50 PM
gwuMACaddict: well there was miss communications and it made me out to be a bad guy that in turn would ruin my rep ... it was in fact a miss communication and all worked out the next day ... but initialy .. i was confused and frustrated.

latergator116: when your right, your right - when your own stuff isn't going well ... girls usually add more to the headache because they usually come with their own set of ************* and expect you deal with it ... which you can't do, cause you've got your own, and in turn you end up feeling worse.

Jan 9, 2004, 07:04 PM
As someone who took antidepressants for much of his life, I inform you that what paulwhannel says is complete crap and his advice should not be followed by anyone. Zoloft almost destroyed my ability to concentrate and did destroy my ability to visualize things in my mind. And it did nothing to help my depression.

If you're depressed, evaluate your life, see what's wrong, and fix it.

hmm, right. asprin has killed people before. does that mean that no one should use it? christ. i expect more from you, phil. antidepressants are incredibly hit-or-miss, we're still very far behind in research and scientific knowledge in this area. i've been on antidepressants myself that screwed with me pretty badly, i won't get too far into it but suffice it to say i was terrified to go to sleep and completely paranoid. But, this is why there are dozens of antidepressants, and not just one. they work in different ways, have different effects on people, and have different results.

so, as one of the millions of people who successfully found an antidepressant that works for them, i can inform you that what phil says is complete crap and that his advice should be followed by no one.

it's a shame that with the scientific understanding that we do have of biochemical imbalances in the brain, people still take this christian-scientist attitude towards mental health. if you have an ulcer, take a medication for it; if you have a physical problem in your brain that affects your thought patterns, suffer through it.

paul

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 07:16 PM
Psychiatry and psychology go through various phases of theories that are eventually proven or disproven. Freudian psychoanalysis, for instance, went on for quite awhile, but it had no backing and collapsed, so they went and seized on the whole brain chemical theory.

Yes, antidepressants might keep you from getting depressed. But as paul pointed out before, self-medicating with street drugs does the same thing. I don't know if that was a joke or not, but I think that should pretty much show what antidepressants are really about. They are psychoactive drugs. paulwhannel himself admitted they were pretty hit-or-miss. Are you going to take that kind of chance with your brain?

latergator116
Jan 9, 2004, 07:17 PM
you're depressed, evaluate your life, see what's wrong, and fix it.

I don't think it is quite as simple as that. Depression isn't always in the hands of the person that is depressed. Yes, I think they can do things to make it less severe, but I don't think you can totally get rid of depression by evaluating your life and maybe changing some things in your lifestyle.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
I don't think it is quite as simple as that. Depression isn't always in the hands of the person that is depressed. Yes, I think they can do things to make it less severe, but I don't think you can totally get rid of depression by evaluating your life and maybe changing some things in your lifestyle.

It is quite as simple as that in many cases. Of course, evaluating your life and solving problems isn't easy. And if the problems are insolvable, then that's another problem. But it's far better than medicating away your capacity for emotion.

Jan 9, 2004, 07:38 PM
Psychiatry and psychology go through various phases of theories that are eventually proven or disproven. Freudian psychoanalysis, for instance, went on for quite awhile, but it had no backing and collapsed, so they went and seized on the whole brain chemical theory.

Yes, antidepressants might keep you from getting depressed. But as paul pointed out before, self-medicating with street drugs does the same thing. I don't know if that was a joke or not, but I think that should pretty much show what antidepressants are really about. They are psychoactive drugs. paulwhannel himself admitted they were pretty hit-or-miss. Are you going to take that kind of chance with your brain?

Freudian theory was neither formed nor supported using the Scientific Method. pharmapsychology, however, is based in Scientific Method. so unless you'd like to argue the merits of the foundation of modern science, you can't argue that pharmapsycholgy is some "fad" that's going to be disproven. It's every bit as real and reliable as other forms of medicine. We may not know everything about how it works, but we do know that it *does* work.

As for my earlier post. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek in this case, which i thought was obvious by my bluntness. However, self medication with street drugs is, for some people, the only form of relief available. It's certainly far from ideal, but in both my personal life and my experience as a suicide counselor, I saw it prevent suicide more than once. Sometimes, people do survive crushing clinical depression by going into what i call a "drug hibernation" for short periods of time. i don't think anyone could actually responsibly advocate this type of self-medication, and it's only effective in people with severe clinical depression (this, by the way, is a vastly different thing than the temporary adolescent depression that this thread is mainly about), who have no access to proper psychiatric care.

paul

Rower_CPU
Jan 9, 2004, 07:47 PM
It's a mistake to compare Freudian theory and brain chemistry theory.

Freud's theories came about due to his own prejudices and neuroses (ironically) and through a faulty means of investigation. Brain chemistry studies are rooted in much more exact science.

Review of Why Freud Was Wrong: Sin, Science and Psychoanalysis (http://human-nature.com/freud/timrev.html)
Brain Chemistry and Bi-Polar Disorder (http://bipolar.about.com/cs/menu_science/a/press_umich0210.htm)

[edit: Jinx, paul.]

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 07:57 PM
Well having not yet messed with chemical street drugs and only having been a mariquana smoker ... i must say it made me feel worst ... I suffer(ed) from incredible anxiety wile being "high" -- i've only really ever enjoyed it a few times ... and only during the day ... at night i found it makes me feel worse

jeff.macaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 08:11 PM
I am happy for now, but only because I'm getting my new AlBook tomorrow. I'm depleting my life savings, and don't have a car yet, or a job. My freind, I mean PB will travel at my side, unable to breath, in my powerbook case around my shoulder.

I wanted the best for my mac, but could only afford this, but on my budget, it is still a great case. I got it a few days ago. When watching the MW keynote at an apple store. that day it snowed here. Over six inches but I still rode my bicycle, with 1 1/4 inch tires 12 miles both ways to the apple store at six in the morning to see the keynote. I was hoping for a PB update.

Here's my case. Kensington Bag (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71001/wo/1Y2oitQdstlR2Ry2cvQ7BlO9K4O/1.3.0.5.10)

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It's a mistake to compare Freudian theory and brain chemistry theory.

They are different theories, I only meant that the psych community has seemed to leap headfirst into both theories without the conservatism and skepticism that science usually does, and ought to, have.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 08:16 PM
On a different note (the double post is intended to show that this is indeed a different note), my friend Iftach from Israel, I was talking to him about one of my friends being depressed. Iftach gives very good advice. This was his advice:

"Tell her to read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Then she'll be happy."

If you have severe clinical depression than it might warrant more than this, but if it's a passing adolescent mood swing, it might work. Oh, and it doesn't have to be Hitchhiker's Guide per se, but just follow the basic idea: Do something that'll make you happy.

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 08:23 PM
"Tell her to read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Then she'll be happy."

now THATS the best advice yet! a little douglas adams never hurt anybody :D

i still stand by what i said earlier, there is way too much to be happt about if you sit and think about to ever waste time being depressed... :D

Spock
Jan 9, 2004, 09:24 PM
Your stress may all be related to You not knowing Jesus. And not having the right Pills.

Rower_CPU
Jan 9, 2004, 09:33 PM
They are different theories, I only meant that the psych community has seemed to leap headfirst into both theories without the conservatism and skepticism that science usually does, and ought to, have.

It's also a mistake to lump the fields of psychology and psychiatry together into one group. ;)

Just because one psychological theorist gains popularity with faulty methods and biased interpretations does not mean that all such theories are equally less well-founded. Freud is just a big target; one that I don't mind taking shots at either. :)

Do you have any sources to show that brain chemistry research and the pharmaceutical pursuits thereafter have advanced more precipitously than any other medical field?

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 09:43 PM
It's also a mistake to lump the fields of psychology and psychiatry together into one group. ;)

Just because one psychological theorist gains popularity with faulty methods and biased interpretations does not mean that all such theories are equally less well-founded. Freud is just a big target; one that I don't mind taking shots at either. :)

Do you have any sources to show that brain chemistry research and the pharmaceutical pursuits thereafter have advanced more precipitously than any other medical field?

Probably, but I can't produce them at the moment.

I have personal experience with pharmaceutical psychoactive drugs, however. They didn't help me and hurt me pretty badly. However, the drug companies seem to be the ones with the power, so what they say, goes. This is my big complaint with modern medicine, is the control the pharmaceutical industry has over it. I'm all for medication, but I fear that the pharmaceutical industry has too much power over medicine as it is. (Aside: I'm even all for capitalism, but capitalism has certain rules, and the drug companies are taking advantage of places where those rules have been broken.)

"...there will be within the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing... a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." -Aldous Huxley, 1959 (note: Currently 1/3 of U.S. citizens take psychoactive drugs).

(Note: If I'm a bit out of line here and going into "political" territory, then I ask for my remarks to be edited. This is a valuable thread and I don't want it going to Political.)

Rower_CPU
Jan 9, 2004, 10:05 PM
I think we're OK on staying here as long as we don't get into capitalism and stay in the realm of drugs for depression. :)

I agree that drugs in general are abused and over-prescribed in general.

However, based on on my discussions with family I have in the field of psychology, anti-depressants, when administered responsibly and in conjunction with a treatment program of counseling, can be very helpful and effective.

For some people, drugs are the only way they can achieve any sort of "normal" life as a functional part of society. They should not be treated as a shortcut to mental health and are not for everyone, as your experience shows. But they are necessary for some people and can be a godsend in many situations.

Jan 9, 2004, 10:12 PM
I agree that pharmacutical companies should not have the advertising abilities that they do, and that they are inducing hypochondria in a lot of people. There are big differences between medical conditions that require medication and those that would require traditional talk therapy or some other method of self-treatment. or, those that are merely transitional, and will fade on their own. I think that mental disorders are fairly common, but not common to the point that people are currently being medicated for.

On the flipside, there are a lot of people that suffer in silence, because they or their friends/family do not believe in mental illness. it's a shame.

phil, with full respect to your experiences on medication, may i suggest that whatever you were being treated for was not severe enough to warrant it? if one is truly living with a severe disorder, even very bad experiences with medication usually doesn't deter them. eventually you reach a point where you don't feel like you can live another day with the disease untreated, and you'll do whatever necessary to find the right treatment. as i said, i had one medication with very adverse reactions (i could hear my eyes moving in my head, for christs sake)... just about went crazy for a few weeks there... it was about the 7th or so medication i had tried. after my usual period of detox from it, i got right back on the horse, and tried a couple more before i finally found Wellbutrin, which really makes it all worthwhile. it isn't a magic pill that makes everything sunshine, which is what too many people expect (prozac = unnaturally happy to many), but it gives me enough of an advantage over my illness to be able to control it, with the goal of full recovery.

paul

Phil Of Mac
Jan 9, 2004, 10:17 PM
I will grudgingly agree that anti-depressants are sometimes a good idea. I ask that people keep the dangers in mind and use them only as a last resort. Psychoactive drugs are a big deal and shouldn't be used as lightly or extensively as they are now. If people choose to take these drugs only when they think it's utterly necessary, we'll all be better off. (And I will say the same for antibiotics).

(As for the capitalism remark, that was intended not to start into a political tangent, but rather as a "for the record" to let the community know I'm still no pinko ;) )

Jan 9, 2004, 10:32 PM
(And I will say the same for antibiotics)

Hear, hear. Many doctors just dole 'em out like candy, very irresponsible.

paul

maluscanis
Jan 9, 2004, 11:49 PM
Whenever I read of such a topic as this, one question immediately rushes to the forefront of my mind, "What is the meaning and purpose of our lives?" Without a sense of purpose, I believe that life is logically reduced to a meaningless search in a world of chaos. If we just live to die and nothing we do here on earth lives on - sadness and emptiness inevitably ensue because there exists NO REASON for me to live one way as oppossed to some other way. Why treat my friends with respect and love, if it doesn't really matter what I do. I believe true happiness is inextricably linked with a firm foundation of meaning.

I struggled with these questions when I was in high school. To borrow a phrase from the Matrix - there was a splinter in my mind telling me that there was more to life than what I saw - that darkness had been pulled over my eyes keeping me from the truth.

About six years has passed since I found the answers I was looking for. I no longer feel the desire to obtain the American dream - "the pursuit of self-fulfillment". The world that once seemed so alive, now seems so dead.

"But what things were to my gain, I consider loss for the sake of Christ Jesus. That I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own but that which is through faith in Jesus. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. One thing I do, fogretting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

I learned long ago that intellectual and heady philosophical debates are usually a waste of time. All I can offer those of you seeking real answers is this: a sincere faith in Jesus Christ is not an easy road but rather a great sacrifice. However, what you receive in turn is a great freedom and a faithful friend. Please listen to me when I say that this simple message has been almost but destroyed by those who have falsely claimed to be Christians. Jesus did not come to condemn and reject the world but to save it.

If you are searching for answers, please give God a chance to answer for himself...pick up a bible and read about the life of Jesus Christ for YOURSELF - do not take some egotistical and judgemental Southern Baptist preacher's word for it.

(This message was not meant to offend anyone...I simply wanted to share with anyone who would want to listen. My life has been changed...it is hard not to want to share something like that. Thanks for reading.)

Duff-Man
Jan 10, 2004, 12:12 AM
Duff-Man says....religion - just a different drug as far as I am concerned, and the cause of many problems and strife in this world...personally (and I of course speak only for myself) I think it something to be avoided...oh yeah

iJon
Jan 10, 2004, 12:23 AM
i thought this past semester would be the most depressing time of my life, almost thought it would bring me to suicide but im surprised it hand. at the beginning of the school yeah my girlfriend of 2 years broke up with me, left me a huge hole in my life. but that turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. i was the happiest i had ever been until ill lost my best friend in the car wreck i was in, once again even a more bigger hole that will never be filled. but i have high hopes in life and a lot to look forward too in life and i mourned, grieved, moved on and im doing well in life. what surprises will be thrown at me in the future i have no idea, but i feel that i have experienced to of the most s***iest feelings in the world in a span of 5 months. as for you feeling depressed about not having a girl or whatever, get your ass off this site, go take a shower, get dressed nice, and go pimping cause your not going to find anyone, and also, girls like a guy with confidence, so dont go telling girls you posted on a computer site about being depressed or you will never get one.

iJon

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 12:24 AM
To paraphrase Ayn Rand, I do not need a purpose and meaning for my life. I am the purpose and meaning.

Jan 10, 2004, 12:45 AM
To paraphrase Ayn Rand, I do not need a purpose and meaning for my life. I am the purpose and meaning.

amen to that.

interesting that those here promoting religion as a cure for depression are pushing jesus, and not spirituality in general. is the idea that other religions or beliefs will not lead to the same sense of purpose or belonging?

i've observed that those that find this kind of comfort in christianity seem to be most attracted to the idea of a paternal, frowning God to give them something to live up to, expectations placed on them, limitations and restrictions as well. not that there's anything wrong with that, but i get the same thing from my own guiding morality, which i find to be more fulfilling, as i'm being true to myself and no one else.

as for my own spiritual beliefs, they don't grant me a sense of purpose, they grant me a sense of perspective. i can use that to find my own purpose :)

paul

ColoJohnBoy
Jan 10, 2004, 02:43 AM

Hear, hear. I'm in the same boat as you. No longer a teenager, still depressed. I didn't start my little anti-depressant cocktail until about 2 years ago, but like you, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be here. I never tried street drugs, only because I never had the opportunity, but it's a true miracle I survived years 10-18 without them, or any prescription counterpart.

Phil, I agree with you for the most part. It seems anti-depressants are prescribed far too often, and in cases not warranting them. I refused to take them until my parents, several of my teachers, and most of my friends confronted me about how I was behaving. In my case, given the long family history, the abuse in my past, and the hell that was my teenage years, I feel perfectly fine about taking them.

I sincerely hope you're joking. In any case, I tried that method. It failed spectacularly. I only slipped deeper into depression because believed myself the worst sort of ungrateful little ***** for having "The Light of Christ" at my fingertips, and still wanting to stick a gun in my mouth.

revenuee
Jan 10, 2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says....religion - just a different drug as far as I am concerned, and the cause of many problems and strife in this world...personally (and I of course speak only for myself) I think it something to be avoided...oh yeah

"Religion is the opium of the masses" - Marx :)

manitoubalck
Jan 10, 2004, 03:12 AM
Hear, hear. Many doctors just dole 'em out like candy, very irresponsible.

paul

Agreed, the more you take the less effective they become.

manitoubalck
Jan 10, 2004, 03:13 AM

And I thought I was the only one to quote famous Russians:(.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by manitoubalck
And I thought I was the only one to quote famous Russians:(.

Marx was a German. But Ayn Rand was born in Russia! (She spent most of her life as a U.S. citizen however.)

Marx was, however, a famous Communist (as were many famous Russians ;))

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 03:58 AM
interesting that those here promoting religion as a cure for depression are pushing jesus, and not spirituality in general. is the idea that other religions or beliefs will not lead to the same sense of purpose or belonging?

Part of Christianity is that you witness to people and tell them about Jesus and how he'll solve your problems. By starting a depression thread, we gave them one hell of an opportunity to start that. Another part of Christianity is that Christianity is true and all the others are false, so yes.

barkmonster
Jan 10, 2004, 07:35 AM
Not only didn't I get a loan I'd applied for to buy a new Mac in late October but several things have happened since the beginning of November 2003:

(in order of when it happened)

A girl at work I've liked for a while is suddenly very interested in me. Been really obvious hints for a while but I didn’t want to believe they were real signs because it seemed too good to be true. Plus there was a bit of an age issue I won’t go into. It was confirmed by other people and not denied by her! This situation is WAY more appealing to me than a new Mac! (don’t quote this to me in months to come) :D

Meetings at work with directors and stuff, lots of staff appraisals with sales staff I've never even met. Not really worried, not my problem.

Girl decided to get things back on with some guy she’d been with for the most part of a year. She was very shy and cute, I didn't get much chance to do anything about the situation because I had all of 5 Minutes a day to speak to her if I was lucky and even though we’d been chatting occasionally since late August. We were in different parts of the building and we were very shy of each other. I just can't believe how unlucky I am when someone who's pursuing me knocks me back.

If I said that the past few years have barely made up for the near total drought of the previous 24, it should give you some idea of how often I'm even in a situation where I get anywhere with someone I like. I've been so shy for so long, I'm glad most people think I'm only 19 or something, doesn't seem as bad as being 26 and so unlucky with women

Monitor on my Mac blew up, having to work on a flickery 14" monitor now L

On top of all this, there's a girl in my group of friends I have a tiny personality clash with. She is so full of herself that when I mentioned I'd lost my job and everything, she started ripping into the fact I'd been a little bit emotional recently with everything that had been happening and tried to trivialise the whole situation because her agency contract was coming to an end (she'd known it was going to for weeks before hand).

I know not rising to the bait is the best way of dealing with the likes of her but with everything else on my mind, it proved too hard. More snide comments from her followed and as we were leaving the pub I said it was a lot better hanging round with the same group of people for a decade or so before she was on the scene.

After she snubbed that and nose in the air smugness set in, I said I was so far above her it's not even funny, (probably a mistake to say that but totally true). Then her sister punched me. (missed by the way). Being hit by a girl isn't a problem; it's the accusations from her (the girl not her sister) that I was going to hit her that really bothers me.

She has a few people in my circle of friends round her little finger, more than willing to give me grief if I say anything against any of her comments and smugness. She knows full well I wouldn’t hit a girl ever, no matter what, It’s not in my nature because I’d like to think I’m decent person who’s above the scum that do that sort of thing. She still had the desired effect and got the attention back on her though.

I had all of this going on in my mind the final day of work (November 27th) because we all had to go in for a meeting with the administrators.

While I was there I gave out my mobile number to a few people including the girl I’d been blown out by (who I broke down in front of, it was all a bit much to take, plus, she’s got these beautiful green eyes that kind of made me want to fill up just looking at her… sorry about that last bit).

So far as other people who also lost their jobs, I know it would have really hit some of them a lot harder than me. At least I live with my parents and don't have too many financial commitments. (At 26, that's kind of depressing in itself). I just can’t take any comfort in knowing someone is worse of than me by the same means. It just doesn’t feel good to use someone’s suffering to ease my own. It’s just wrong somehow.

A fortnight before Christmas my dog's back legs gave way. He's had a good run, 13 years for a mongrel is ok I think but with me now out of work and the dog providing the only company while I'm at home on my own (albeit of the sleeping, grunting and sleeping some more variety), I'm not going to have a pleasant time with only my own company while I look for another job. He's had a shot from the vet and he's on tablets, can even walk him now but that's just because of the tablets. He's only got a few months and that's it.

Just by chance (Kind of like going the other side of the world and meeting someone from across the street) I found the girl from works’ profile on a chat room off a link on some girls website I’d found through ICQ. She’d contacted me email a few times since I finished work so it didn’t seem a bad idea to message her.

I sent her a message to wish her a happy new year, She replied and all seemed well, even mentioned she’d send me her new mobile number. When I replied to that and mentioned how I’d found her profile completely by accident, I was suddenly banned from sending her any messages. Don’t get that at all. She’s a nice person and I didn’t say anything negative, suggestive or pushy at all. Does nothing for my ‘chatrooms are lame’ idea either.

I have only 1 thing to say to depressed teens, "I wish I was you!!!"

I doubt I’d have made it to 26 without anti-depressants, loads of things to distract myself with and lots of supportive friends. I'm being serious!!!

I’m 27 in August!!

It's bad enough having the usual shyness issues when you're young. If it follows you through to adulthood and you've been in the situation of maybe meeting 2 or 3 girls a year you might stand the tiniest chance with at the most and every single time it has lead to nothing more than 1 date if that. I think you’d be on anti-depressants occasionally too.

It's not that I'm picky, it's just that I'm 5' 6", 120Ib, don't look my age at all (got on a bus for child fare at 25, didn’t ask for it) and havn’t ever been attracted to girls taller than me. Physically, I only really go for a certain body type. My height or less, not starved to the point of Calista Flockheart but certainly not a pie enthusiast like Kelly Osborne either. That shouldn’t be a problem, there’s loads of girls like that aren’t there? Especially girls that are also down to earth, funny and worth spending the time to get to know with it.

I know people say it's what's inside that counts, I've met plenty of 'nice' girls who are also physically very attractive to me, the problem is their tendancy to go for any random A hole other than me and then treat me like some kind of agony uncle and moaning about whatever Mr A Hole has done to wrong them when they could just go for me and the problem of girl + fool = bad would be solved by girl + me = yay!

Back to the work situation, had plenty to apply for already, should be working soon enough, already had several interviews and this is known to be a quiet time of year.

Maybe this should be the ‘tell us you’re depressing life story’ thread and on it’s own instead of slowing your thread down with all this. Just needed to get it all out of my system.

iJon
Jan 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by barkmonster
I just can't believe how unlucky I am when someone who's pursuing me knocks me back.
well damn dude, what do you expect, you answered your own question in your post. you said she gave you all the hints but you were in denial and you were very shy with her. she let you know, and you didnt do anything about it so she moved to the next guy. you should have been getting her number and taking her out on a date, not being shy and wondering the whole time.

iJon

maluscanis
Jan 10, 2004, 11:34 AM
Regarding the girl you like, I have always been of the opinion that telling the truth is the way to go. Perhaps you could still tell her that you have always liked her but never had the courage to say so and if she ever wants to give it a go with you, you'll be there.

In response to some of the statements made regarding my post...I wasn't PUSHING my beliefs on anyone - simply sharing an experience in a forum that I believed would be OPEN TO IDEAS. What most of you don't understand is that as a christian, I face more more ridicule in one day than most of you will ever experience in a lifetime. People judge me even before they could examine how I live my own life. I AM NOT hypocritical and judgmental or intolerant. Paulwhannel and others - I do not agree with homosexuality - but notice how I have never spoken up in some of the threads regarding being bi, gay, or lesbian...I know my input there would not have been appropriate - those forums were your chance to share with others, uninterrupted.

Christianity has a BAD track record - I will never run from that fact...but almost always, these supposed christians (crusaders, greedy and hypocritical TV evangelist) were in direct disagreement with what Jesus said in the Bible...Billy Graham is a true example of a Christian for those who would like a reference.

My father is a homosexual...and he knows I would do anything for him and that I love him without measure:::yet he knows I disagree with his lifestyle and beliefs. All of his gay friends know quite well that I am an adamant Christian, but they enjoy being around me because they know that I love them. I am a quality control chemist at hawaiian tropics - many of my coworkers are in their mid-20's and do a whole lot of clubbing, one-night stands, etc. We are always engaged in level-headed conversations and they all consider me a good friend.

Know ask yourself why people whom I believe are walking down a dangerous road would like and enjoy my company. Could it be that this Jesus thing really works? That a life devoted to knowing and following Jesus Christ changes you such that everyone around you can sense real love and sincereity. That allows you to have your life, money, friends, and material things (even your trusted Mac) taken away but still remain happy despite the circumstances. I have given up much for the sake of my God - vocational dreams and my "stuff". I consider all those things poor in comparison to knowing Him. He is my purpose and meaning...I was created for Him and I found my life when I found Him.

So perhaps you could withold judgment and not immediately dismiss what the "weak-minded" christian has to say before you have given me a chance. I believe I have shown you the same respect.

Jan 10, 2004, 12:16 PM
fair enough, maluscanis. however it's immensely difficult for me to have any sympathy for you whatsoever in being persecuted as a christian, when it's the christians that are persecuting me as a gay person-- i should think that if christians are really picked on that much, you guys would have some perspective on those that you pick on. this is christians in general, not necessarily you, but if you don't support legal gay rights (despite having religious beliefs to the contrary), then you're guilty of it too.

the other point to bring up, is that for those that are far into mental illness (again, this thread is mostly about temporary depression caused by adolescence), putting off medical treatment in favor of a faith-based approach is akin to a cancer patient waiting to do chemotherapy, so she can pray to jesus to take the cancer away. there's a pretty good chance it won't work, and by the time they go for chemo, it could be too late. severe mental illness requires medical attention as quickly as possible, it's life-or-death. i'm not saying that faith-based approaches to mild depression won't work; i'm just saying this so that you know where our resentment comes from.

paul

Rower_CPU
Jan 10, 2004, 12:40 PM

OK, is it 'opium' or 'opiate'? I've seen it referred to in both ways and some quick Google searching turns up both results.

To me, 'opiate' sounds right, but maybe I've heard it wrong. Hmmm...

barkmonster
Jan 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
I was being teased quite a bit for chatting to the office juniors a lot when I was in the post room. I just assumed all the hints from people in the office every time I was around the particular one I liked was more of the same imaturity. It must have been obvious from the awkwardness around her that I was attracted to her.

I used to chat to her mate a lot and it was assumed I liked her by some people. I did, as a friend, she was cool to talk to. Also, I know a flirt when I meet one, I am one myself around certain people, she wasn't so that was half of the mystery about if it, was it genuine interest or just people teasing?

As it stood, I was told via a lengthy conversion that she was going out her way to get my to notice her but she just wasn't getting the eye off me yet and I should make more of an effort to get to know her. There was so much pressure off everyone else to do something about it that things became complex and I'm not surprised it made us shy of each other.

virividox
Jan 10, 2004, 01:33 PM
this thread is hilarious hehe

maluscanis
Jan 10, 2004, 02:10 PM
Paul,
Indeed, the issue of tolerance is a very thin line. I believe you will find that many sincere Christians have very firm beliefs that offend many. One woud be that I do not approve of your lifestyle - surely, that must be offensive to you. However, on the flip-side, American culture has become sexually immodest and loose (comparitively speaking in regards to our historical culture)...can you not see that this is offensive to me as well.

The balance lies in that a Christian and non-Christian must be able to discuss opinions and ideas openly without hostility and judgment. In this pluralistic nation, a nation with many differing ideas and worldviews...tolerance (not acceptance) is key.

Note this well, the so-called Christian community is unabashedly guilty of judgmentalism, intolerance, and hypocrisy. This is not authentic or historic Christianity. Everyone should have the right to do whatever they want here in America so long as it doesn't cause harm or injury to others. Laws of common decency and courtesy should be the right of the people to decide.

What I face almost daily is the idea that if my beliefs and opinions disagree or offend the masses (i.e. Jesus is the ONLY way) that I am being bigotted and intolerant...what people are really after is for me to believe exactly like them. The truth is that I often find more intolerance against Christians than vice-versa. The few christians that get media attention are a very inaccurate representation of the many sincere followers of Christ.

You will never find me desiring to take away your rights. You have every right to live your life the way you want. I only ask that you would give me the same opportunity.

I am very busy and cannot dedicate any more time to this threat. I would like to wish you all the best. For those struggling with depression, I am praying that you find your way through to happier times.

God bless folks,
Simon

scem0
Jan 10, 2004, 03:05 PM
sorry about everything barkdog.

I can relate to some of the stuff you have been saying.

(By the way, my dog is on the road downhill too, she has a disease that causes water to rise up into her lungs, which causes her to have a hacking cough.

Its sad to see someone (I could barely call my dog a 'thing', Rosie is a person to me) you've been befriended by for the past 13 years lose control of their bodies.

scem0

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 03:13 PM
We don't persecute Christians. We only prevent Christians from persecuting us, and state our opposition to their views when they go into a round of unsolicited witnessing and proselytizing.

MacAztec
Jan 10, 2004, 03:34 PM
I think its sick how people need to take pills to be normal (depressant wise). That is NOT normal.

Ever since the beginning of man, we haven't had a need for pills to make us feel better. Even though pills haven't been around for a long time, its still not normal.

I bet if you went to a doctor in the early 1900s and told him how depressed you were, he would tell you to get the hell out of his office.

I agree with Phil. Take a look at your life, and fix the problems.

What, you are going to take pills the rest of your life to be "normal"? Yeah, I bet. Real normal. You are cracked out on pills but you are 'ok'

Sun Baked
Jan 10, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec

What, you are going to take pills the rest of your life to be "normal"? Yeah, I bet. Real normal. You are cracked out on pills but you are 'ok' You seen the silly position the drug companies are taking with dogs, "Don't put the out of control Pooch to sleep, use puppy Prozac."

Can't control the kid or the dog, throw drugs at em.

Heck they're even marketing Ritalin again to the grown ups -- who used to take it.

Better Living Through Chemistry :rolleyes:

MacAztec
Jan 10, 2004, 03:48 PM
Doctors give out Riddalin like its frickin' candy. Just because parents don't want to deal with their kids, they give 'em drugs.

iJon
Jan 10, 2004, 04:07 PM
I think its sick how people need to take pills to be normal (depressant wise). That is NOT normal.

Ever since the beginning of man, we haven't had a need for pills to make us feel better. Even though pills haven't been around for a long time, its still not normal.

I bet if you went to a doctor in the early 1900s and told him how depressed you were, he would tell you to get the hell out of his office.

What, you are going to take pills the rest of your life to be "normal"? Yeah, I bet. Real normal. You are cracked out on pills but you are 'ok'
well that may be a little harsh but im not really sure on the situation either. ive only been majorly depressed in my life once, that was when i had terrible ance back in jr high, until i got on accutane and i was happy again cause i knew things would get better. i was put on anti depressants after the wreck, but i still felt it was a state of mind, and i got threw it, but maybe it was the pills, i dont really know and i dont care, im better now and thats all that matters.

iJon

MacAztec
Jan 10, 2004, 04:12 PM
iJon - Thats ok to use 'em after maybe some event in your life that has a bad effect on you.

But people that need them every day just to be normal? Thats just weird.

latergator116
Jan 10, 2004, 04:19 PM
Remember that some people have a chemical inbalance in their brain, so pills can actually help balancing out that chemical inbalance. But I beleive you were talking about the other kind of depression.

(on a side note... yay! 500th post!)

gwuMACaddict
Jan 10, 2004, 04:39 PM
boy this thread is MAKIN' me depressed ;)

cheer up guys! :D

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
You seen the silly position the drug companies are taking with dogs, "Don't put the out of control Pooch to sleep, use puppy Prozac."

Can't control the kid or the dog, throw drugs at em.

Heck they're even marketing Ritalin again to the grown ups -- who used to take it.

Better Living Through Chemistry :rolleyes:

This is off-topic, slightly, but little kids have a lot of energy and a lot of them are not really suited for sitting in a desk 6 hours a day in class. I mean, they're kids. So what do we do? We diagnose them with "ADHD" and put them on Ritalin, which is a psychoactive narcotic. In essence we're destroying children's minds to keep them under control in school! This is a problem.

jeff.macaddict
Jan 10, 2004, 07:07 PM
WOW-

my pathetic thread starter got 80 replies.

You really do care and wanted to make me feel useful-

-tool:D

themadchemist
Jan 10, 2004, 08:05 PM
OK, is it 'opium' or 'opiate'? I've seen it referred to in both ways and some quick Google searching turns up both results.

To me, 'opiate' sounds right, but maybe I've heard it wrong. Hmmm...

Isn't this moot? Aren't they just different versions of translation from the original German?

Rower_CPU
Jan 10, 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
Isn't this moot? Aren't they just different versions of translation from the original German?

I guess so. Just wondering if one version was the "correct" translation. ;)

The meaning is more or less identical, but I prefer the more general 'opiate' than the specific 'opium'.

Duff-Man
Jan 10, 2004, 09:59 PM
Doctors give out Riddalin like its frickin' candy. Just because parents don't want to deal with their kids, they give 'em drugs. Duff-Man says.....also more commonly known as "Ritalin." and as Bart Simpson sang (to the tune of Popeye the Sailor Man) - "when I can't stop fiddlin', I just takes me ritalin....I'm poppin' and sailin' man!........oh yeah!

Spock
Jan 10, 2004, 11:10 PM
"Worship God; and him only, and that in a spiritual manner, with reverence and godly fear, in faith, and according to his revealed wil"
lRevilation

Thaink about that.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 10, 2004, 11:12 PM
"Worship God; and him only, and that in a spiritual manner, with reverence and godly fear, in faith, and according to his revealed wil"
lRevilation

Thaink about that.

Uh, there isn't that much to think about. It's a rather straightforward statement.

maluscanis
Jan 10, 2004, 11:59 PM
Phil of Mac,
Do you not often state your opinions and desire that others see something from your perspective or angle? What about your opinons of Macs and PC's...don't you when the situation arises try to explain to PC users what you like about the Mac and why you use them? Also in regards to morals and politics, have you never talked about your views on these matters? If you are anything like most Americans, you probably readily give your opinion AND want people to believe as you do.

I do not see much difference between when a Christian shares his beliefs as when a Mac user comments on the computer world - only that one is considered "witnessing" and often despised, whereas the other is just enthusiasm and opinion. Now granted some Christians are in-your-face types and harsh...but such people are found of all opinions and worldviews - ever seen a politician??? However, most of us are not like that...I have never been and can honestly say I know of only a few Christians that I have ever met that were offensive.

Why then did you show Spock's comment such sarcasm and contempt - implying that it was simple and easily understood denied his intent for responding - he was offering a different perspective, something that takes many a great deal of effort to see...If a Christian had responded in such a manner, he would have been cursed of the forum.

Phil, perhaps I am judging you too much based on your comments here on this forum - if I am please forgive me. But honestly, it is the Christians that behave like you, that you ironically hate so much.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 11, 2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by maluscanis
Phil of Mac,
Do you not often state your opinions and desire that others see something from your perspective or angle? What about your opinons of Macs and PC's...don't you when the situation arises try to explain to PC users what you like about the Mac and why you use them? Also in regards to morals and politics, have you never talked about your views on these matters? If you are anything like most Americans, you probably readily give your opinion AND want people to believe as you do.

Why then did you show Spock's comment such sarcasm and contempt - implying that it was simple and easily understood denied his intent for responding - he was offering a different perspective, something that takes many a great deal of effort to see...If a Christian had responded in such a manner, he would have been cursed of the forum.

Phil, perhaps I am judging you too much based on your comments here on this forum - if I am please forgive me. But honestly, it is the Christians that behave like you, that you ironically hate so much.

A few points you're missing:

1. Spock gets to state his opinions, and I get to state mine. It doesn't matter when my opinions are about his opinions. Disagreeing with someone is NOT infringing on their right to an opinion. However, stating that I'm not allowed to disagree IS infringing on MY right to an opinion.
2. He posts a straightforward, easy to understand statement with no backing whatsoever, and says "think about it". That's odd. I noted that. I didn't make a value judgment.

maluscanis
Jan 11, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well perhaps I did misjudge you. I simply got "vibes" that you were sarcastically cutting his opinion down. Stating that it was really "nothing to think about".

By the way, I added a few things to my last comment. It was incomplete before.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 11, 2004, 12:12 AM
Well perhaps I did misjudge you. I simply got "vibes" that you were sarcastically cutting his opinion down. Stating that it was really "nothing to think about".

By the way, I added a few things to my last comment. It was incomplete before.

Well, I appreciate that you tried to resolve this before attacking me. I'm not used to that :)

maluscanis
Jan 11, 2004, 12:16 AM
To sum up a few things...what I would like to see is Christians and non-Christians and others of differing worldviews be able to share their opinions openly and enthusiastically. One of the biggest fears among my christian friends arises when they have an opportunity to share what God means to them to someone --- they fear that that person will blow them off or get angry because they are "witnessing".

A big point I was trying to make is that it is OKAY for a Christian to share his/her views...if they are severely pushing it, feel free to tell them to back off - I know I would. I just wanted to put out what I believe to be a double-standard. That it is okay to share your opinions, so long as they are not Christian. And trust me when I say that this double-standard is not imagined but very real. As real as the bigotry that existed but a decade or so ago toward homosexuals.

In short, it would be wonderful to see the masses give the christian an opportunity to express our opinions. I believe that you would find a good many of us who act entirely different from the hypocritical, fire and brimstone preacher that the media has claimed as the stereotype.

maluscanis
Jan 11, 2004, 12:24 AM
Phil of Mac,
You don't happen to be a frisbee fanatic do you. It brings back fond memories of my college days (only about a year off). I can vividly remember throwing frisbees (a high quality ultimate frisbee, of course) inside the chemistry buildings interior halls, hoping and praying that we didn't take off a professor's head - at least, not one with whom we were taking a class from.

Man, I loved school...can't wait to go back.

Jan 11, 2004, 01:19 AM

Right, and since the dawn of time, there have been those tormented by mental illness, and an awful lot of suicides. some of our best minds, actually.

But, quality of life means nothing, as long as you pretend you're happy i guess. and, as long as you yourself don't have major problems, those that do should just try to be more like you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you went to a doctor in 1900 and said that you had migraines, you'd probably get a similar response-- the rest of us can deal with headaches, why can't you? all is well until you die of brain cancer. I fail to see in any way what a comparison of medicine from over 100 years ago serves.

if you want medical care from 1900, go for it. but to condemn those that don't... that's absurd.

it's infuriating that people contend that those who seek medical care for valid medical conditions be labeled as "cracked out on pills". many people who need to take these medications will find that the imbalance is gone after a period of time-- it fixes itself with the right medication. some find that they do need to take the medication for the rest of their lives. there's nothing wrong with that. are you next going to suggest that people with diabetes not take insulin because "what are you going to do, take it for the rest of your life?" and "we never needed insulin in the dark ages, why do we need it now?"

:mad:
paul

Phil Of Mac
Jan 11, 2004, 01:21 AM
Phil of Mac,
You don't happen to be a frisbee fanatic do you. It brings back fond memories of my college days (only about a year off). I can vividly remember throwing frisbees (a high quality ultimate frisbee, of course) inside the chemistry buildings interior halls, hoping and praying that we didn't take off a professor's head - at least, not one with whom we were taking a class from.

Man, I loved school...can't wait to go back.

I am a big fan of frisbees, but haven't had much chance for that particular hobby recently. I'll have to get into that again :D

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2004, 02:11 AM
Man, I loved school...can't wait to go back. You can go for me if you want. Just make sure to pay my parents the $7500 or so for this semester.

And that is the source of my (hopefully temporary) depression. I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really do not want to go back for another semester. It seems to be a combination of: 1.) not really knowing what the **** I want to do for the rest of my life 2.) I don't want to sit at a desk or drafting table (more likey to be a Windoze workstation with AutoCAD, ugh) in a cubicle for the next 30 or 40 years. 3.) (source of #2) I don't like my major (Mechanical Engineering Technology), it's not quite what I was looking for. 4.) I don't like the school that much, even though the location is great. 5.) I don't like having to mooch off of my parents for little things, like movies and such, with the time it takes to do work for school, I won't have enough time for a job.

That's not all, but that's everything I can pinpoint. In regard to reason #1, I wish i knew what I wanted to do with as much certainty as my cousin and a friend of mine, both of whom are studying music, my cousin at Rhode Island College and my friend at Berklee School of Music. I have no idea really, I mean, I really really really like cars, which led me into my current major, but it seems like they're unrelated. I'm pretty good at photography, even had a couple shots praised by a pro I know. Then I'm a Mac nut, so I could go work for CompUSA and sell them and/or fix them. Then I could also start über-practicing and go study music, which is always fun (especially when you get paid :D). Now, I wonder if I can somehow convince my parents to let me stay home, and try to get their money back from the school. I don't think it'll work though :(

MacAztec
Jan 11, 2004, 02:32 AM
Insulin helped cure with deseases that caused deaths that people could not overcome. I don't think being depressed is a disease. If it is, its a pretty new one. You can have your opinion, I will have mine. If I was a depressed guy for 10 years of my life and was thinking about suicide, I would go to a psychiatrist. I just wouldn't like to take pills to feel good.

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2004, 02:39 AM
Insulin doesn't cure a damned thing. It's a replacement for the natural insulin that controls your blood sugar. Diabetics have to inject it, whereas someone without it ("normal"in your words) has it produced naturally, and not let the diabetes affect them as much. It does NOT cure diabetes. After a while, they will still have to deal with glaucoma, decreased blood circulation in the legs, and other problems. If you want to see what insulin does, go eat several packages of pixie stix until feel all jittery and hyper. A little while later, you will become tired, thanks to the insulin lowering your blood sugar.

Flowbee
Jan 11, 2004, 02:59 AM
Insulin helped cure with deseases that caused deaths that people could not overcome. I don't think being depressed is a disease. If it is, its a pretty new one. You can have your opinion, I will have mine. If I was a depressed guy for 10 years of my life and was thinking about suicide, I would go to a psychiatrist. I just wouldn't like to take pills to feel good.

You are very ignorant of the facts. Do a quick google search on 'clinical depression' and read a little bit. From WebMD.com (http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/55/13765.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}):

"Depression is a mood disorder that causes symptoms such as low energy, prolonged sadness or irritability, and lack of interest in daily activities. It can be triggered by a chemical imbalance or stressful, emotional situations. Depression is a medical condition, not a character flaw or weakness. Many people with depression do not seek treatment because they are embarrassed or think they will get over it on their own. If you feel you have depression or have been diagnosed with depression, there are many successful treatments available to help you. You do not have to live with depression."

(PS - Psychiatrists are the ones who prescribe medications for mental illnesses.)

amnesiac1984
Jan 11, 2004, 10:15 AM

this is exactly the kind of attitude that has resulted in suicides of people not getting treated. Go see a shrink with depression and if it is clinical depression they will prescribe pills. It's a physical problem with your brain that manifests itself as depression. Not all depression is a physical problem but the ones who take pills are! Get it?

Capt Underpants
Jan 11, 2004, 10:55 AM
I'm not a depressed teen, but sometimes I do get mad because I am the nice guy. My friend showed me Nice Guys Finish Last Rant (http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/g_hols/Niceguy) . Good piece of writing if u ask me.

Jan 11, 2004, 11:03 AM
i'm not going to do an entire historical introspective on depression; however in 1900, which we were talking about earlier, it was a recognized illness-- called melancholy, the two most famous sufferers that come to mind are Poe and Abraham Lincoln. prescriptions at the time were very odd, many people believe Lincoln was at least partially insane in his last years due to mercury treatments.

again, so as not to be a hypocrite, i fully believe that you should limit yourself to medical treatments from that era if you're going to base medical understanding from that time period. think of all of the things we understand now. all of the diseases and disorders of the body... it doesn't make the least bit of sense that we wouldn't discover diseases and disorders of the brain (and therefore mind) as well...

paul

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Capt Underpants
I'm not a depressed teen, but sometimes I do get mad because I am the nice guy. My friend showed me Nice Guys Finish Last Rant (http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/g_hols/Niceguy) . Good piece of writing if u ask me.
depends on your definition on the word. i classify it under two names, the good guy and the nice guy. nice guy is the p***y whipped man who will do anything for the girl, let her make all the decisions, shower her with gifts, and do all this before really knowing her. the good guy is the guy who acts like the bad buy (which is what most girls want to begin with) but has gentleman like conducts, so he is not a jerk, he just doesnt hand his balls over to her in a jar.

iJon

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by iJon
depends on your definition on the word. i classify it under two names, the good guy and the nice guy. nice guy is the p***y whipped man who will do anything for the girl, let her make all the decisions, shower her with gifts, and do all this before really knowing her. the good guy is the guy who acts like the bad buy (which is what most girls want to begin with) but has gentleman like conducts, so he is not a jerk, he just doesnt hand his balls over to her in a jar.

iJon

The right balance is struck when you're between being a selfish ******* and a "nice guy." You're not a player but you're not a supplicating, pathetic excuse of a man either.

Perhaps the correct word for the balance is gentleman. Think James Bond -- after he's done with espionage and is looking to settle down.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 11, 2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
Perhaps the correct word for the balance is gentleman. Think James Bond -- after he's done with espionage and is looking to settle down.

I hope that movie never comes out.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:24 PM
Insulin helped cure with deseases that caused deaths that people could not overcome. I don't think being depressed is a disease. If it is, its a pretty new one.

Welcome to the world of modern science and technology.

The computer allows you to have your ideas read by thousands of people across the planet.
I don't think it's a type of communication. If it is it's a pretty new one.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
I hope that movie never comes out.

After the last two or three (too many recurring plot devices make them tend to run together -- satellite attacks anyone?), it may be a surprising change.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 07:34 PM
The right balance is struck when you're between being a selfish ******* and a "nice guy." You're not a player but you're not a supplicating, pathetic excuse of a man either.

exactly, and thats the best place to be in, in my opinion.

iJon

amnesiac1984
Jan 11, 2004, 07:45 PM
After the last two or three (too many recurring plot devices make them tend to run together -- satellite attacks anyone?), it may be a surprising change.

Die another completely ruined everything that was bond, a terrible film.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:48 PM
exactly, and thats the best place to be in, in my opinion.

iJon

Staying in that "place" for the rest of your life is a job, though. It requires deliberate effort. I was a nice guy, and I can tell you firsthand that for most guys it's simply too easy to surrender your ego and life to a girl you've fallen for.

That's the true challenge -- keeping yourself while you keep her.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
Staying in that "place" for the rest of your life is a job, though. It requires deliberate effort. I was a nice guy, and I can tell you firsthand that for most guys it's simply too easy to surrender your ego and life to a girl you've fallen for.

That's the true challenge -- keeping yourself while you keep her.
well i was the nice guy when i dated my best friend since 10th grade and then we broke up in 12th. but that relationship gave me much experience in the relationship field, involving mental, sexual, emotional and everything else. now its time to experience the other half and changing my attitude around a little bit and see what works best for me.

iJon

revenuee
Jan 11, 2004, 08:00 PM
This is why i have yet to have a relationship last longer then 3 weeks ...

I'm pretty easy going and have better things to worry about then, what movie we're going to see, or what restaurant were going to eat at ... typical early relationship stuff ... i go with the idea that if she's happy ... whatever, i can go with it... But as week 3 roles around, most girls start to think that they can push me around, and that i'll do just about anything for them, and are shocked to find out that have a back bone, and didn't really give them my "balls in a jar", as iJon so colorfully put it. The big surprise hits them when a real decision has to be made, and i don't just roll over ...

and then the relationship ends.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 08:02 PM

I'm pretty easy going and have better things to worry about then, what movie we're going to see, or what restaurant were going to eat at ... typical early relationship stuff ... i go with the idea that if she's happy ... whatever, i can go with it... But as week 3 roles around, most girls start to think that they can push me around, and that i'll do just about anything for them, and are shocked to find out that have a back bone, and didn't really give them my "balls in a jar", as iJon so colorfully put it. The big surprise hits them when a real decision has to be made, and i don't just roll over ...

and thats good cause if you did give in they would leave you later on in the relationship when you our emotionally involved.

iJon

revenuee
Jan 11, 2004, 08:11 PM
and thats good cause if you did give in they would leave you later on in the relationship when you our emotionally involved.

iJon

I actually got dumbed once because "i was to busy".

i walked away, and went to a party that night confused as hell ... kinda in a bad mood ... but when i woke up i had couldn't stop laughing.

i thought to myself "did i just get dumbed because i have a life? ... i think i did".

"sorry that i can't spend 3 hours on the phone with you"

LOL

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 08:16 PM
I actually got dumbed once because "i was to busy".

i walked away, and went to a party that night confused as hell ... kinda in a bad mood ... but when i woke up i had couldn't stop laughing.

i thought to myself "did i just get dumbed because i have a life? ... i think i did".

"sorry that i can't spend 3 hours on the phone with you"

LOL
what can you say, some girls are just attention whores and they go ape s*** when you dont give it to them.

iJon

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 08:24 PM

I'm about to launch a chick who just F-ed up big time with me. I'm gonna be a stubborn prick about things and if she doesn't like it she can take a hike. I've got a life to live and hockey to play. Plenty of fish in the sea.

revenuee
Jan 11, 2004, 08:31 PM
I'm about to launch a chick who just F-ed up big time with me. I'm gonna be a stubborn prick about things and if she doesn't like it she can take a hike. I've got a life to live and hockey to play. Plenty of fish in the sea.

so your goal is to have her break up with you? ... just do it .. .save yourself the headache.

Lots of fish maybe ... to bad i'd throw back 90% of them ... haha LOL

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 09:22 PM
so your goal is to have her break up with you? ... just do it .. .save yourself the headache.

I'm going to.

Spock
Jan 11, 2004, 09:45 PM
You must have thought about it becouse You posted a reply saying You did not think about it and logicly You did think about becouse You posted a reply. Remember, Jesus loves You.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 10:51 PM
Remember, Jesus loves You.

But Satan gets the chicks and the cool toys for you.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 10:52 PM
But Satan gets the chicks and the cool toys for you.
HA, that was great.

iJon

Spock
Jan 11, 2004, 10:54 PM
No, Satan is burning His butt off in Hell with the rest of the sinners

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 10:56 PM
SHREK IS BACK!!

iJon

Spock
Jan 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
SHREK IS BACK!!

iJon

I give up, You are all going to Hell. Satan Loves You,

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 10:58 PM

And it's a rockin' party every Saturday night, too, let me tell ya. You get that many sinners liquored up in one place and you know things are gonna get wild and crazy.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 10:59 PM
Satan Loves You,

Damn iJon, even Jesus thinks you're an ******* ;)

Rower_CPU
Jan 11, 2004, 11:04 PM
Keep it clean, folks.

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:05 PM
Never seen the bumper sticker?

Rower_CPU
Jan 11, 2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I just don't want this turning into a flamefest (pardon the pun).

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:08 PM
Between me and iJon? I think he knows I'm kidding.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 11:09 PM
And it's a rockin' party every Saturday night, too, let me tell ya. You get that many sinners liquored up in one place and you know things are gonna get wild and crazy.
oh, you guys in the south end wait till saturday, we do it everyday, especially sunday morning.

spock, the shrek post was rerring to a user we used to have, who was very religious and always started trouble, then go banned. may want to take that into consideration.

iJon

Spock
Jan 11, 2004, 11:18 PM

spock, the shrek post was rerring to a user we used to have, who was very religious and always started trouble, then go banned. may want to take that into consideration.

iJon

Oh, Yeah I am sorry I gues I have not been here longer than You and don't know things that go on. I had lots of fun with Shrek but he was not to smart sometimes. Anyways I aint a teen anymore so I am leaving, have fun.

iJon
Jan 11, 2004, 11:20 PM
Oh, Yeah I am sorry I gues I have not been here longer than You and don't know things that go on. I had lots of fun with Shrek but he was not to smart sometimes. Anyways I aint a teen anymore so I am leaving, have fun.
its all good, you werent like shrek, i was just warning you incase you were considering being like him.

iJon

pseudobrit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:21 PM
Anyways I aint a teen anymore so I am leaving, have fun.

Did you turn 20 during the course of this thread?

Spock
Jan 11, 2004, 11:23 PM
No I was not a teen anyore when I first posted in here I was just going to have some fun. And I did and thats all that matters to me.Anyways know I am really leaving.

jeff.macaddict
Jan 11, 2004, 11:43 PM
Live long and prosper.:D

Counterfit
Jan 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
You trekkies... :rolleyes:

Shifty
Jan 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
After a nail-biting one hour exam on nuclear physics, I am depressed.

edesignuk
Jan 12, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm not a teen...and I'm not depressed...hmmm...wtf am I doing here? meh...getting depressed reading depressing rambles...

neut
Jan 12, 2004, 06:10 PM
depression is for suckers...go do something with your life.

peace.

Spock
Jan 12, 2004, 07:11 PM

Jan 12, 2004, 07:37 PM
wow this thread got funny...

i just want to point out, as we discovered in high school, the name Natasha backwards is "ah satan".

dunno why i pointed that out, seemed mildly apropos.

paul

neut
Jan 12, 2004, 07:50 PM
cure for depression...lots of ecstasy.

peace.

King Cobra
Jan 12, 2004, 08:01 PM
Although I've never done it before (and I'll be a jerk if I ever do), ecstasy scares the s*** out of me. From what I've seen in videos and heard from its commentary, ecstasy causes you to press your jaws in constantly (for...several hours with constant force, except to talk, eat and drink), putting high levels of pressure and physical tension on your jaws. Of the teenagers that do ecstasy, many of them attempt to redirect this forcefulness by sucking on pacifiers and forcefully draw attention to immediate visual changes, such as bright lights at a night club.

Ecstasy is no laughing matter.

And since we're talking about supernatural or ironic evils, why not talk about co-dependency? :eek: :rolleyes:

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Shifty
After a nail-biting one hour exam on nuclear physics, I am depressed.

Really? After a nail-biting two hour exam on pre-calculus last semester, I was relieved and I rejoiced in the knowledge that it was finally over.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 08:14 PM
A powerful, natural anti-depressant is exercise. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel better. I will personally attest to this.

(Personally, that's why I think depression is a sudden, new phenomenon. When people's lives involved more physical exertion, they got plenty of endorphins.)

Apparently, there's a thread going on about another powerful, natural anti-depressant ;) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55064

neut
Jan 12, 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Although I've never done it before (and I'll be a jerk if I ever do), ecstasy scares the s*** out of me. From what I've seen in videos and heard from its commentary, ecstasy causes you to press your jaws in constantly (for...several hours with constant force, except to talk, eat and drink), putting high levels of pressure and physical tension on your jaws...blah, blah, blah.

you watch too much tv. what your describing is the effects of amphetamines (also pseudophedra...aka nasal decongestant) . if this is the case you've got a bad cut of MDMA. if you're going to take drugs...do your homework first. pure MDMA is harmless. **** the ************.

peace.

King Cobra
Jan 12, 2004, 09:38 PM
What the hell is MDMA?? And that's a real big "IF" I do drugs, mister.

(If I knew what that was, yes, I would be watching too much TV. But I barely do as much as I used to years ago.)

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
What the hell is MDMA?? And that's a real big "IF" I do drugs, mister.

(If I knew what that was, yes, I would be watching too much TV. But I barely do as much as I used to years ago.)

MDMA is ecstasy.

revenuee
Jan 12, 2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by neut
you watch too much tv. what your describing is the effects of amphetamines (also pseudophedra...aka nasal decongestant) . if this is the case you've got a bad cut of MDMA. if you're going to take drugs...do your homework first. pure MDMA is harmless. **** the ************.

peace.

:rolleyes:

MDMA or ecstasy is an amphetamine

EDIT: (had to check note books to make sure)

and pseudoephedrine isn't an amphetamine, pseudoephedrine is a substitute hormone (adrenaline), while amphetamines are dopamine and serotonin stimulators.

MrMacMan
Jan 12, 2004, 11:25 PM
Anytime after 11 PM I go into Zombie or Depressed mode.

Ah well.

time to sulk.

Counterfit
Jan 13, 2004, 07:28 AM

EDIT: (had to check note books to make sure)

and pseudoephedrine isn't an amphetamine, pseudoephedrine is a substitute hormone (adrenaline), while amphetamines are dopamine and serotonin stimulators. I smell an owning.

And why hasn't anyone replied to my other post? :mad:

Shifty
Jan 13, 2004, 07:31 AM
Really? After a nail-biting two hour exam on pre-calculus last semester, I was relieved and I rejoiced in the knowledge that it was finally over.

Yeah, but you must have done well.

I think I flopped :(

but yeah, you're right. Glad to get it out of the way. :p

barkmonster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:35 AM

Apparently, there's a thread going on about another powerful, natural anti-depressant ;) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55064

I think NOT having that particular cure for it very often, if at all, is a cause of depression personally :D

If they legalised prostitution and there was no stigma attached to it, the companies that make Anti-depressants would all but go out of business. Imagine a situation of visiting the doctor and he's going, "well sir, I think we'll have to put you on a course of regular shags, of course you can't give up the course of treatment till your cured, it wouldn't work otherwise" ;) :p

neut
Jan 13, 2004, 09:06 AM

..and marijuana is a psychedelic. yeah, right. who's classification system are you looking at? either way...at least i am aware of what it can and cannot do. mr. cobra seemed a little confused on the effects of clean ecstasy.

peace.

Spock
Jan 13, 2004, 09:18 AM
I Lied, I'm back. MDMA can make You depressed worse than You were before. It can also kill You I love You people that say You are taking drugs like we think it's cool. Drug's are not cool unless prescribed and I don't think You can get a prescription for MDMA

neut
Jan 13, 2004, 09:26 AM
I Lied, I'm back. MDMA can make You depressed worse than You were before. It can also kill You I love You people that say You are taking drugs like we think it's cool. Drug's are not cool unless prescribed and I don't think You can get a prescription for MDMA

no **** it can kill you...if you're an idiot (drinking too much water...or not enough). and who said who was taking anything?

MDMA used to be prescribed as an antidepressant. it was also used in counseling. it is a very powerful substance and should not be taken lightly.

my original suggestion of taking MDMA was a complete joke...it will cause massive depression if taken for too long. your body forgets how to be 'happy' on it's own.

be careful people...don't be idiots.

peace.

revenuee
Jan 13, 2004, 09:39 AM
..and marijuana is a psychedelic. yeah, right. who's classification system are you looking at? either way...at least i am aware of what it can and cannot do. mr. cobra seemed a little confused on the effects of clean ecstasy.

peace.

Who's classification?

Umm .... the organic chemistry and toxicology classification

what do you think MDMA stands for?

methylenedioxymethamphetamine

And in regards to marijuana being psychedelic --- smoke half and ounce and tell me your not seeing **** - and if you don't you are one strong son of bitch.

Besides psychedelic can pertain to altered state of awareness ... which is true in most cases since many smokers experience heightened senses.

Hell in first year psychology there was a reading about being able to study wile high ... but then you have to take the test in the same state, same altered state.

neut
Jan 13, 2004, 10:08 AM
Hell in first year psychology there was a reading about being able to study wile high ... but then you have to take the test in the same state, same altered state.

your right on the classification (i need to watch my mouth/hand).

your psychology reading sounds like my high-school experiences. if I went to class high...i had to be hight on test day; otherwise I wouldn't remember ****.

i don't like classification systems...they put to much expectations in your head. drugs are more than prescribed medications. they are plants, animals, and synthetic chemicals. psychedelic states make people think of hippies, when they should be thinking more like native americans/african natives/Buddhists. drugs are more than classification and so is depression.

"just remember, that it's all in your head." – del, the funky homo sapien

peace.

Spock
Jan 13, 2004, 12:04 PM

be careful people...don't be idiots.

peace.

Thats the point I was getting at. And by the way Peace is over rated.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 13, 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by barkmonster
I think NOT having that particular cure for it very often, if at all, is a cause of depression personally :D

If they legalised prostitution and there was no stigma attached to it, the companies that make Anti-depressants would all but go out of business. Imagine a situation of visiting the doctor and he's going, "well sir, I think we'll have to put you on a course of regular shags, of course you can't give up the course of treatment till your cured, it wouldn't work otherwise" ;) :p

That's the thing about anti-depressants. They cause sexual side-effects. What if you're depressed because you can't get laid? Answer: You get even more depressed because you can no longer masturbate to climax.

Here's another one: You're not supposed to take anti-depressants with alcohol. Hey, if you usually down your pills with a shot of whiskey, I don't think depression is your main problem!

neut
Jan 13, 2004, 01:53 PM
And by the way Peace is over rated.

you're not much of a Vulcan are you...

no wonder the human race is constantly at war (or depressed...to stay on topic). someone always ****s up the balance.

peace.

revenuee
Jan 13, 2004, 06:48 PM
your right on the classification (i need to watch my mouth/hand).

your psychology reading sounds like my high-school experiences. if I went to class high...i had to be hight on test day; otherwise I wouldn't remember ****.

i don't like classification systems...they put to much expectations in your head. drugs are more than prescribed medications. they are plants, animals, and synthetic chemicals. psychedelic states make people think of hippies, when they should be thinking more like native americans/african natives/Buddhists. drugs are more than classification and so is depression.

"just remember, that it's all in your head." – del, the funky homo sapien

peace.

had to run to class and i was away all day ...

so leaving off where we were on this point

Hippies got a bum rap - the movement was started by well educated College students, who felt that the "establishment" was wrong, and unjust. Their goal was to free themselves of oppression. The drugs came later, and we're are misrepresentative of what it is to be hippie.

Native and aboriginal used natural plants and herbs (peyote in north america if remember, and the fabled SOMA of the early Asian cultures) in sacred rituals.

But Buddhism ... no, no psychoactive substance use in that tradition - it's one of the 10 pillars that they live buy - as it would be a means of cheating when true nirvana can only be achieved through proper conentrations.

neut
Jan 13, 2004, 07:46 PM
Hippies got a bum rap - the movement was started by well educated College students, who felt that the "establishment" was wrong, and unjust. Their goal was to free themselves of oppression. The drugs came later, and we're are misrepresentative of what it is to be hippie.

yes, the drugs are misrepresentative. they cannot be fully understood unless you follow a certain path... many did not, and grew up to be accountants or bible thumpers. and the drugs we're good propaganda for 'the man'; once those hippies tasted uppers and heroine... it was over. ;)

Native and aboriginal used natural plants and herbs (peyote in north america if remember, and the fabled SOMA of the early Asian cultures) in sacred rituals.

many others have also been used (marijuana, psilosybien (sp? on all these), detura, DMT, chimera, etc.) some are very dangerous (sans mary j; who isn't dangerous 'till you stop... watch those dreams!) unless you know WHO your dealing with; yes, WHO. many of these plants called upon things that many 'white men' have never understood. just ask your local yaki sorcerer. :D

But Buddhism ... no, no psychoactive substance use in that tradition - it's one of the 10 pillars that they live buy - as it would be a means of cheating when true nirvana can only be achieved through proper conentrations.

yes, buddhists have decided to pursue life without help from the herbal paths. this can be a very powerful statement when you are surrounded by cultures that have stained humanity... i think their culture would have been very different if they we're not surrounded by conquering nations. they have discovered things the 'hard way'.

i, on the other hand, have opted to follow the one and only true path... my own.

peace.