PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Bluetooth icon

jevel
Jan 9, 2004, 05:03 AM
Whenever I get files sent from a PC my BT icon disappears! It happens every time, no exception. Anyone seen this? Is there a fix?

-KJ

brooklyn
Jan 9, 2004, 11:31 AM
Same Here!

tjwett
Jan 9, 2004, 11:43 AM
this may sound totally absurd but its there any chance it's disappearing because you are switching apps and putting the Finder to the background, therefore hiding the BT icon from the menu bar? probably not but i thought i'd mention it. i recently had a support call where someone said that when they opened Mail all their scripts in the script menu changed. all it was was they were seeing the Mail scripts menu, and not the Finder's. silly, but silly things do happen. i know there are a lot of menus in Word and they take up a lot of the menu bar on my machine, hiding most of my menu bar icons. are you guys on small screens, like 12" PowerBooks or iBooks? try clicking onto the desktop to bring the Finder to the front after you've opened Word and see if it's up there. if it is indeed disappearing well, i have no idea but it's damn interesting.

WinterMute
Jan 9, 2004, 02:37 PM
Mine goes at restart, I have to uncheck and recheck the box in the Preferences Pane to get it back.

dead_smed
Jan 9, 2004, 03:02 PM
i've also had the same problem since i formatted mine and reinstalled 10.3 everytime i restart it goes again

jevel
Jan 10, 2004, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
this may sound totally absurd but its there any chance it's disappearing because you are switching apps and putting the Finder to the background, therefore hiding the BT icon from the menu bar? probably not but i thought i'd mention it. i recently had a support call where someone said that when they opened Mail all their scripts in the script menu changed. all it was was they were seeing the Mail scripts menu, and not the Finder's. silly, but silly things do happen. i know there are a lot of menus in Word and they take up a lot of the menu bar on my machine, hiding most of my menu bar icons. are you guys on small screens, like 12" PowerBooks or iBooks? try clicking onto the desktop to bring the Finder to the front after you've opened Word and see if it's up there. if it is indeed disappearing well, i have no idea but it's damn interesting.

Thanks for your input!

Im on a 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook. Its brand new. Had it for two weeks.

The icon is really gone. When I go to System options, and look in the BT prefs, the checkbox at the bottom where you can choose whether the icon should be displayed or not is unchecked. I check it again, and even click the padlock to preserve settings, but when my friend sends me a new file it wont stick. The box becomes unchecked, and the icon disappears. Every time.

Annoying.

-KJ

jevel
Jan 26, 2004, 11:54 PM
OK. Now Ive reinstallled and it still does it! I also got a brand new iBook over to do a little review and to compare it to my PowerBook, and this one does it as well! Anyone spoken to Apple about it?

-KJ