Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRondo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
London
Hi all

I am thinking about getting an iPhone. I love my touch so much that I want it to be my phone as well, and having internet basically all the time would be awesome.

I want to know, if I back up my Touch, then plug in my future iPhone, will my iPhone get all my apps etc. and the prefs? I wouldn't have to actually BUY my paid apps again would I?

Thanks

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Hi all

I am thinking about getting an iPhone. I love my touch so much that I want it to be my phone as well, and having internet basically all the time would be awesome.

I want to know, if I back up my Touch, then plug in my future iPhone, will my iPhone get all my apps etc. and the prefs? I wouldn't have to actually BUY my paid apps again would I?

Thanks
You won't have to buy your apps again. They can be synched from your computer to multiple touches and iphones.

As for preferences and data in your touch apps (such as text in your Notes) I'm pretty sure there is no current way for these won't be carried over to your iphone.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Hi all

Thanks

I'm not sure, it depends on how in depth the backup process is, if its only backing up music, video and certain files then in theory you should be able to restore from that. As for purchasing apps again don't worry, once you have bought an app from the app store you will be able to download it for free from then on.

I have done this myself so it does work :D

When you purchase the App again from the store iTunes will tell you that you already purchased this app and you will download it without any charge.

iRondo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
London
Excellent - the paid apps are the only thing I'm worried about, obviously the free apps, music and video can easily be put back on from my iTunes library. Calendars, contacts and mail are on .Me

Apple sure do make it easy. Naysayers can go enjoy their stupid backup/restore or whatever it is non-Apple people do these days...!

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
Use iPod Touch backup

I switched to an iPhone recently. And when I did set up the iPhone, iTunes asked me if I want to set up a new iPhone OR use the iPod Touch backup instead.

steve51

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
Essex, UK
Touch upgrade to iPhone

Hi all

Are there any problems synching an iPod Touch and an iPhone on the same machine?

Is anyone else running both devices in the same household? I am interested in different uses, e.g. iPhone as everyday multifunction device and Touch as larger capacity portable media player & internet browser .

Thanks

iMac 20" 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM
Macbook 2.4Ghz 2Gb RAM
32Gb iPod Touch

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
Hi all

Are there any problems synching an iPod Touch and an iPhone on the same machine?

Is anyone else running both devices in the same household? I am interested in different uses, e.g. iPhone as everyday multifunction device and Touch as larger capacity portable media player & internet browser .

Thanks

iMac 20" 2.4Ghz 4Gb RAM
Macbook 2.4Ghz 2Gb RAM
32Gb iPod Touch

no there shouldnt be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.