PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having to restore their iPod Touch (2.0 or 2.0.1) virtually daily?

hamchapman
Aug 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
When I downloaded firmware 2.0 my iPod was fine (i.e. no crashes or having to restore it). I downloaded and installed a number of apps from the app store. Still fine. Then I upgraded to 2.0.1. Still fine. Then I purchased the Beatmaker app on my iPod Touch and then the problems started. Trying to install Beatmaker caused my iPod to freeze (I left it for about an hour just in case there was some huuuuge lag with the install). Nothing happened. So I put it into DFU mode and restored. I then tried a number of times to reinstall the app. No luck. Thankfully I managed to get a refund for the app but now my iPod is still crashing and freezing up almost daily. It's not just that the apps crash, the freezing can happen at seemingly any moment, whether the iPod is mid-sync with my laptop or whether I am just using an app or just flicking through some pages in Safari.

I tried downgrading to 2.0 but that didn't help. Same problems. I'm now back on 2.0.1 and have managed to successfully "Set up as new iPod" (but only because the "Restore from backup" function did not work. For the last 30 minutes or so of usage, it hasn't crashed/frozen...so far.

Is anyone else having these problems, or is there a solution that anyone can provide?

Thanks

Link2999
Aug 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
You don't have to restore everytime your iPod freezes, just hold the Power and Home buttons until the iPod Force Shuts down, then start it up normally. 2.x is still a little buggy.

hamchapman
Aug 16, 2008, 09:54 AM
You don't have to restore everytime your iPod freezes, just hold the Power and Home buttons until the iPod Force Shuts down, then start it up normally. 2.x is still a little buggy.

After it freezes and I hold down the power and home buttons to force shut it down, the Apple Logo appears but then it never gets past that stage. It just stays at the Apple Logo. Therefore the only way to be able to get back to using my iPod, I have to do a full restore.

thebeesknees
Aug 16, 2008, 10:08 AM
I would probably just take it into a genius bar. They'll give you a new one right away, provided you haven't jailbroken or anything like that.