PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Ed sucks major.

coopdog
Jan 9, 2004, 01:46 PM
9 two hour movies, 3 two hour drives, 3 two hour observations.

To my left is some 38 year old jackass who was sent to drivers ed because be sucked at driving his 18 wheeler, who feels that it is his duty to add every little bit of pointless worthless **** to everything the instructor says. Then Elizabeth Smart (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/03/12/smart.kidnapping/) But more like (http://maddox.xmission.net/c.cgi?u=elizabeth_smart) and all the other people have to answer the question, "Ok now what keeps you safe in a car?" "Seat belt," "Very good!" I feel like standing up and having a Cartman rage at everyone.

What the ****, "OBSERVATIONS!?" What are you Amish?! You have never ridden in a car?! God damn they are pointless.

Ok. I spend 2 hours sitting in a room for a 20 min. movie. It takes 60 min to take role for 10 people then 30 min to explain the video then 20 for the movie and 10 to take the bull **** token quiz. Oh and it's not even the real Red Assault movie. No cops picking up heads and cleaning up brains. Oh no! Some people got offened when they weren’t sheltered from what happens when you crash your motorcycle at 100mph with no helmet. So they had to redo the movie in 98' to show no gore at all. They show some x-ray of a guy who broke his leg because he was going to fast and broke too hard?! Oh My God My virgin eyes! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Then the quizzes! I swear a chimpanzee could pass the test.

1. Double Yellow lines separate:
a. There is no such thing
b. Traffic going in different directions
c. Traffic going in the same direction
d. All of the Above.

How the **** could it be all of the above?!

Then on the State Of Utah Official Test:
Identify these signs:
They show pictures of: a stop sign, Do not enter, One way, Wrong way, Speed limit 65. Then you match the picture to the answer. A person that couldn't speak English could do it! Jesus.

Drivers Ed pisses me off.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 9, 2004, 01:50 PM
LOL,LOL,LOL. its all a joke. only problem is this joke kills more people then any weapon. what they should do for starters is see if you can bounce a ball and catch it, if not then you dont have the cordination to be driving a car to start with.

eyelikeart
Jan 9, 2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by coopdog
Drivers Ed pisses me off.

Yeah, it sucks. But, u get an insurance discount for doing it, and I think in some states u get your license a year earlier than others who don't take it?

coopdog
Jan 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Yeah, it sucks. But, u get an insurance discount for doing it, and I think in some states u get your license a year earlier than others who don't take it?

No here it's mandatory.

Stelliform
Jan 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
Keep an open mind...

I have taken driver's ed once at High School, and 3 times at the city's driver ed school. (for speeding tickets...:D )

And I have to say I know way more about traffic laws than the average driver in my town. Also it was quite amusing when the truck driver and the old lady in one of my classes got into an argument....

eyelikeart
Jan 9, 2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by coopdog
No here it's mandatory.

Ah, wasn't sure. When I took it, it was optional, and a person could get their license at 15. Is it 16 all across the board now?

krimson
Jan 9, 2004, 03:44 PM
my gf had to take a YEAR LONG drivers ed...

wait til you forget something, and seriously injure someone.. it wont be so lame anymore.

and remember, driving is a privelage, not a right... well at least in California. :D

Kingsnapped
Jan 9, 2004, 04:19 PM
Drivers ed is a joke. I slept through mine and did fine on the written/road tests. It's a waste of time and money. All it really does is teach for the test. "When turning, check the mirror, signal, check blind spot, cancel signal." It's not half as complicated as they make it sound. You can't forget something you learn in drivers ed, when you're driving it just comes to you.

Or maybe I'm just talented.

PS. There are plenty of car crash pictures online. Orgish.com or consumptionjunction.com should get your blood-lust quelled.

scem0
Jan 9, 2004, 05:11 PM
My teacher rocked, so that made everything a LOT better.

Plus, I don't know about you, but we weren't required to do the driving at the school. I've been doing a lot of the driving with my parents.

But we had to do 7 hours of driving and 7 of observing.

I spent my time in the class getting other work I had to do done. And when I was done with that I did stuff that I didn't have to get done, but I wanted to get done :).

All my friends took it at one time too, but I couldn't do it because I was going to Bali with the fam. It would help a lot to have 3 friends in the class. I only knew 1 person, and not very well.

I just slept through the videos too, they even turned off the lights to make it easier :)

scem0

gwuMACaddict
Jan 9, 2004, 05:22 PM
maybe if you would pay attention in driver's ed, and drove responsibly, and encouraged your friends to do the same your insurance wouldn't be so high :D

mactastic
Jan 9, 2004, 05:29 PM
Driver's ed IS a joke, but if they made it hard the pass rate would drop through the floor. Then we'd be getting complaints from all the stupid people instead of you! ;)

Of course, the roads would be safer, and insurance would be cheaper...

revenuee
Jan 9, 2004, 05:31 PM
I wanna do BMW driving school

where they teach you how to effectively execute power turns, 360's, skids, ect ..

i can't seem to get the full 360 myself, i usually get stuck at 180 ...

wdlove
Jan 9, 2004, 05:46 PM
I took Drivers Ed in Summer School of my Sophmore year. It was optional and no discount on insurance. We went 5 days a week for 4 weeks, it was a one hour class. A local Plymouth dealer loaned the school a Fury with automatic and A/C, it was a luxury. If I remember correctly we got to drive every other day. I remember it as a postive experience.

I practiced driving with my Mom. Then took the written and driving test later in the summer.

mactastic
Jan 9, 2004, 05:56 PM
Hehe, we drove around in a spiffy mid '80's Dodge Aires during Driver's Ed. Man were we cool lookin!

Then some time later, I had a supervisor when I worked at a Kinko's that had one as his personal vehicle! Of course we teased him quite a bit about it.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 12, 2004, 01:22 AM
Damn, all I had to learn in was a Taurus!

jeff.macaddict
Jan 12, 2004, 11:14 AM
I'm 16 1/2 years old. I have a road bike, and a PB G4, and no job. I can just hop on my bike, like I do, and ride the 12 miles to the nearest apple store in about 45 min.

BTW--thats a 24 mile round trip. 3-5 days a week. I don't even work there. I'm just a MacAddict. They know me as 'the kid that never buys anything but uses every computer in the store and asks fake questions' :D

A car=insurance costs+maintinence costs. I don't have a job.

sketchy
Jan 12, 2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Keep an open mind...

I have taken driver's ed once at High School, and 3 times at the city's driver ed school. (for speeding tickets...:D )

And I have to say I know way more about traffic laws than the average driver in my town. Also it was quite amusing when the truck driver and the old lady in one of my classes got into an argument....

Do they consider dip class and drivers ed the same? (dip -- drivers improvment) Do they expunge your recoed fo the ticket after completing the class?

I took drivers ed 10 years ago, and dip 9 yeasr ago. Dip class explained how radar guns worked and how to avoid speeding tickets. Dr. Ed had lots of observing on the road, and driving. but I drive stick... so thee was lots of time with my parents.

Dave

JesseJames
Jan 12, 2004, 12:21 PM
I never took drivers ed. Of course I went off to the service right after high school so I didn't really need a car. So what's the point?
My friends in the Army let me drive their cars. I eventually even became a Bradley Fighting Vehicle driver. I was driving a war machine. This was before I ever got a regular drivers license.
I came back home after end of service and took the test and passed. The driving test is pretty much a joke. You just drive like a granny for a block and back up into a parking space. Finis.
Experience is the best teacher of all. Any teacher worth their salt will know that.

I think drivers ed should be more like the Skip Barber School of Racing. Where you learn all the defensive moves and push a car to its limits. That's how you gauge how good a driver you actually are. Not sitting and watching ******** tapes. That's just ******** retarded.

sketchy
Jan 13, 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JesseJames
The driving test is pretty much a joke. You just drive like a granny for a block and back up into a parking space.

I had to merge onto the interstate in rush hour traffick, drive through a mall parking lot, and a bunch of other stuff. I passed on my first try, but it was not easy. (VA)

My wife jumped a curb and they passed her. (florida)

dave

yamabushi
Jan 13, 2004, 12:24 PM
Drivers education classes in Japan are a bit better than they are around here. The classes and the test are very difficult and actually test your ability to drive. Makes sense for a country that is mostly mountains. The classes are mandatory for all drivers and cost the equivalent of two to three thousand dollars.

revenuee
Jan 13, 2004, 06:55 PM
Here in Ontario we have a Graduated Lisence system

G1
G2
G

the G1 test is a written and allows you drive with your parents and/or taking driving school - taken at 16

the G2 is a practical which can be taken 12 months after the G1 or 8 months if you do driving school. - this test is in the city

the G test which must be taken within 4 years but after 1 year is also a practical but it tests your Freeway driving skills ... this final test has a 70% failure rate